Smile : Trauma drama horror

Trauma drama horror

"This thing needs trauma to spread. That's what gives it power. Trauma."

I have no idea why Halloween Ends is flop, while Smile is accepted. They are both with the same theme- Both movies are interesting in the beginning and end is fair enough. The middle part is boring-ish and too European style crap drama. People like Hollywood/American movies because it is fantasy, it is unreal - people do not want to watch the same crap as they have in real life on the big screen. That is for me disappointment with this movie. Actors are great, story is reasonable, the theme, all the details - all ok. Yet I would wrap it up in something worthwhile to watch again and again.
As you buy on VHS-CD-mp4 and have it for later usage. This movie is not.
This is one time viewing movie.
Too painful, too real: boyfriend who doesn't care about her girl, sister and his husband who are selfish and uncaring, therapist who is too CBT and less human. Painful to watch.

Re: Trauma drama horror

the problem with this movie is the ending: SPOIER ALERT: the main character dies at the end so that makes this movie really cheap and bad bc kinda the point of a horror movie is you go through 1 hour and a half or 2 hours of being scared and creeped out then you have the ending that makes you happy and relieved bc the main character survived so it is a major mistake how they killed her.

it makes this movie pointless. pretty much the only time you can ever kill the main character in a movie is if it is an epic warrior drama movie like braveheart

lukejbarnett

Where does is say that to be good a horror movie it has to end well? Does that mean The Omen was a bad movie?

I think movies of all genres should end in both ways to make it less predictable.

SPOILER ALERT: sure bad or sad endings or movies where the main character dies at the end is fine for some movies but not this movie.

SPOILER ALERT: the problem with this in this movie is the main girl is so lovable, so innocent, so sweet and so horribly damaged and abused the whole movie so we as the audience feel sorry her plights in life so it is not right to have her die in the end. and we as the audience need her to have relief as well as ourselves as far as being happy bc of the ending after being so in suspense and trauma through her the whole movie.

SPOILER ALERT:so it's a cheap, lazy, and uncaring for her character ending and it makes the re-watchability not there and also it makes the movie not worthwhile bc what's the point if the main character dies in the end? it's also hollow at least in this movie for the reason i explained.

lukejbarnett

It doesn't really bother me, she seems pretty poor at her job and intends to do everything on her own (once she got the info from the cop) which she's obviously unable to. I think it would have been strange for her to succeed, yet it was pretty predictable that she was going to pass it to her boyfriend, that I give you.

I haven't watched Halloween Ends yet, but Smile used trauma wonderfully. The movie did a good job using the monster as an allegory for trauma that stays with you or passes down from generation to generation.

It made for an enthralling experience. A solid thumbs up for me.

So many stories, so little time.

There is current trend, starting with Midsommar (2019) and Ari Aster's earlier work - where trauma is central part of the movies.
This is interesting trend - this mixture of psychology and horror - and it is funny how nobody in the movie past until now came up with the idea to mix horror movies with regular human fears and anxieties we all experience which includes trauma.

I like seeing the trends throughout horror over the decades. It really keeps the genre fresh.

I think the mixture of psychological trauma is being used so effectively because its something people can relate to. They might never have to deal with a crazy slasher in a mask, but the feeling of being isolated or losing your mind is a very real fear for people. I'm digging it.

So many stories, so little time.

I agree.
And the fact that people wake up to narcissistic abuse, Machiavellians and predators being covert and the real danger in real life - new trend in horror movies reflects that.

I like both fantasy and "same crap as we have in real life". They both have their places.

This mindset of more stuff needed is why many Hollywood remakes pale in front of the originals (ex Dinner for Smucks vs Le Diner de Con, or The Jackal vs The Day of The Jackal, not exactly a movie vs movie but Edge of Tomorrow vs All You Need Is Kill and this one of course did very well at the box office).

"They both have their places."
Yeah I over-dramatized, you are correct.

Disappointing and hard to get through.

The main chick in this movie is actually Kevin Bacon's daughter.

R.I.P. Brittany Murphy (November 10, 1977-December 20, 2009)

Whoa,
thanks for this info

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I thought it was pretty good. Several scenes had good creep factor (especially the psychiatrist after the real psychiatrist calls) and a jump scare actually worked on me (the scene with the sister at the car window).

*SPOILERS for anyone reading who hasn't watched it yet*

Some of it was stupid, though, like when the cop says, "All of them killed themselves and then a witness of each suicide killed themselves too - except for the guy who killed someone else instead of killing himself, and he's still alive," yet they couldn't figure out that meant that killing someone else breaks the curse. Although maybe they wouldn't have known there needed to be a witness.

It was also stupid when the cop couldn't figure out the pattern right after watching the videos in his apartment, even though after he knew a few people who had witnessed smiling suicides ended up doing the same thing (especially since she had told him earlier that her patient was smiling before she killed herself).

I didn't like the ending. I think a better ending would've been for her to kill herself without any witnesses, so the curse couldn't be passed on; but then after she's dead, it's revealed that someone WAS watching (maybe her nephew? But a lot of people wouldn't like that a kid witnessed a suicide and then is probably cursed).

Also, the movie reminded me a lot of It Follows.