Special and Visual Effects : Since when has hollywood been able to remove wires from the frame?

Since when has hollywood been able to remove wires from the frame?

Since when has hollywood been able to remove wires and other undesirable objects from the frame?

nowadays they can remove anything they don't like in the shot. but when were they able to do this? not in the 70s, right? Superman the movie had to use other effects to make him fly because wires would be visible. so was it in the 80s? 90s? what was the first film to use technology to alter the screen and take something out after the fact?

Re: Since when has hollywood been able to remove wires from the frame?

It all started with La Bamba in 1987.

i knew it!!

how about CliffHanger ?

'm Religious

how about it?

ah yes i forgot about Back to the Future II with the hoverboards.

Everyone has forgotten the underground masterwork of the 1970's "Buttpus 90" in which Johnny Crampus's penis was lifted with an Emerson rewire harness. The modern day lewder refuses to know or question. They just stand in the middle of the road wildly gesticulating.

What is the sound an imploding pimp makes?

interesting history

i could never find that film

Why care anymore? The world is coming to an end.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

They had been removing wires and other elements for decades prior, painting them out on a frame by frame basis, with varying success. Sure, Superman did it and it was written about widely, but just the year before ILM were painting out the whole underside of the land-speeder driving rig in Star Wars.

This thread reminded me of watching the commentary for The Mummy Returns; they're watching the scene where a hawk lands on a messenger's arm, and talking about painting out the wires used to keep the hawk on track, meanwhile on screen the wires keep popping in and out of existence! Weak job, but the movie was a seriously rushed effort.

Wires were removed from the picture in TOP SECRET 1984)via optical printing.

About the time that aramid rope replaced metal wire?

I think they sometimes used to hide wires by having a background which was painted in such a way that the wires would kinda blend in.

So in The Exorcist, when Regan is levitating off the bed, the wallpaper design behind her consisted of lots of vertical stripes. It's much harder then for the human eye to detect the wires.

Terminator 2 had an elaborate wire removal. They erased a massive rig supporting the stunt man who rode the motorcycle down into the reservoir.