Philosophy : Poll: If you could live to be 600 years old, would you?

If you could live to be 600 years old, would you?

Everyone else you know now would die centuries before you.

yes
0% 0 votes
No
0% 0 votes

Good talk.

Re: If you could live to be 600 years old, would you?

This is in the same vein as the 'immortality' threads that have been done a few times, which is fitting, since it leads into my answer – the tl;dr is no, because there are only a finite number of novel experiences. Only so many ways to arrange this world and yourself within it. Everything is just a variation of something else. Even if your loved ones lived as long as you did, that just means you have other people to run out of things to do with. Maybe the idea here is that '600' isn't that number, but realistically we probably about get there well before 100.

Reasonable answer. So reasonable you probably killed the thread 👏

Good talk.

Imagine a 552 year old Kirk melting down on a descendant of FRTT over an unanswered PM. Remarkable.

(sorry Kirk)

🕊️

My password is password

500 years from now still using that same old avatar and dick pic that's already from 5 years ago.

My password is password

😂 brilliant

Good talk.

So actually, I thought about your reply again and changed my opinion. Technology will advance so dramatically over the course of a 600 year life, I’d imagine the variety of life experiences you could accumulate will increase as the years go by.

Space travel, time travel, robot sex/romantic partners (right Kirk?). Possibilities

Although I’d imagine your emotions could become callused after experiencing so many personal losses. You’d view people as less important to you on a personal level. Eventually, death won’t bother you but life won’t entertain you. Maybe 600 becomes too long a time and you visit a suicide booth.

Good talk.

I thought about this – technological advancement opens some interesting doors, but doesn't it feel as though it's so far only made the world seem smaller? Your smartphone allows you to call up any piece of information in a matter of seconds. Twitter has exposed us to every possible thought, stance, opinion, idea, etc. to the point of nausea. Sense of discovery on every scale has been eradicated. You could get into space travel, but if there isn't life out there beyond us, it really just amounts to glorified sight-seeing. I may be unwittingly approaching this from the standpoint of eternity though and not 600 years. Huge difference, and it's impossible to account for everything that *could* happen between now and then.

Becoming emotionally calloused would be the main concern. Or just your receptiveness to stimuli altogether. I liken it to hearing a song you fall in love with – listen to it a thousand times, eventually those notes in that order will cease to stir you as they once did. Okay, so maybe you find new music – or maybe 500 years later the concept of music itself grows stale, and the issue is no longer your over-familiarity with any one piece. Everything wears down. There's no way you evade being utterly jaded by the time you're in your fourth, fifth lifetime.

Would I age into a disgusting 600 year old or would I stay as I am now until death? If I could stay this age I wouldn't mind living that long. If i'm gonna keep aging fuck no.

My password is password

u already look like a disgusting 600 year old, dopey.

My password is password

Everyone else you know now would die centuries before you.

Yes. That part alone would make it worth it.

No one would miss you at all.

How Silly Can You Get? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumJ3wkg78A

They'd all be dead, dummy.

Aren't you about 80 yourself? Maybe the above scenario is currently underway for you and explains why you venture to bore us with grandpa humor from eons past but appear bereft of thought otherwise. Life has very much run its course already, yes?

Awwwww…

You wish you had gotten more time to suck on your mama's titties since that was the only action you will ever get in your pathetic loser life.

mama's titties

Birthing parent's milk troughs*

That doesn't really make sense but not unexpected coming from a complete idiot like you.

No one will miss you when you die.
Not my fault you have problems with reading comprehension you brain dead loser virgin troll.

Again, you're not making sense. Has your senility kicked into overdrive? Close you eyes, old fool. The end will come for you soon enough.

Sayonara, old faggot!

I would suggest that you are playing dumb but I won't since I can see that you are dumb.

You could reinvent yourself several times over.

Good talk.

Depends. Would you still be prone to illness or any type of injury? Would you still age over the course of 600 years or stay the same? Can you die by any other conventional means until you hit 600?

Is there a reason you picked 600 years, or is that a random number?

I voted yes originally but changed it back to no since everyone in my life would be dead, it would be too depressing

Easy question for me to answer. I'm not really a big fan of the fact that I've only got such limited time in this life to do everything that I want to do and I think I'd be much more content if I knew that I've been given a bunch of extra time to do it all.

When I am king you will be the first against the wall, with your opinion which is of no consequence at all.

Hell yeah! That would be like a dream come true.

My password is password

Interesting question.

The real answer is yes, and is everyone's answer, whether they know it or not. Nobody kills themselves because they think they're too old. Nobody kills themselves because an old family member dies. Your 600 would be not much different to being 120, when all your kids died at 80 something. You'd just live long enough to barely remember the pain of their loss.

The not thinking about it very much answer is no, because you think it's 600 years under today's conditions, with no space travel, no marvellous scientific discoveries, no fascinating societal, geopolitical, and cultural shifts.

In 600 years time, the power, positive influence, and liberty of the late 20th century west will be a myth that people will put down to fake news. The new reality will likely be a hugely reduced global population centered around African power and prosperity.

1422 was the year King Henry VI was crowned at nine months old. If your 600 years had been from then until now, at which point in the story of our history would you have decided you didn't want to turn the next page?

Check my block list because you're probably on it.

Your 600 would be not much different to being 120, when all your kids died at 80 something. You'd just live long enough to barely remember the pain of their loss.

But does that sound appealing? Who wants to live so long their life affirming experiences and then losses can be compartmentalized like that? How much of life's enjoyment is due to its fleeting nature? What you're describing would to me make for more of an interesting time travel 'field trip' than anything. I still say by your 7th lifetime the luster of new scientific discovery and "well watching that era go poof sure was fun!" wears thin.

I just want to live long enough to see all white men in chains. So another 20 years tops.

I know what you're saying, but we spend a long time dead.

I added this above, to provide more food for thought.
1422 was the year King Henry VI was crowned at nine months old. If your 600 years had been from then until now, at which point in the story of our history would you have decided you didn't want to turn the next page?

but we spend a long time dead.

This is amusingly a really good argument. Against suicide in general, too. "What's the rush? You have all of eternity to be dead."

A shit life, like Kirk's, or Fugazi's, is still better than no life at all. I draw the line at Warren, obviously.

No

Well, this is a tomb. I'll make them feel at home

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Not unless I could stay young looking and everybody else got the same chance.

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

Well here’s the thing. Technology is advancing exponentially. Maybe you’ll get a whole new biological body in 100 years

Good talk.

600 years is a long time. I might go crazy. I have no idea. Probably not.

If everything else was going well and my loved ones were in the same boat, I'd say I'd want to top out at around 120 years.

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

Most certainly. It would be a good long time; but not eternity which would wear on you eventually.