Sully : 36 Million?! How?! 8.0 rating? How?!

Re: 36 Million?! How?! 8.0 rating? How?!

Why don't you go watch Transformers. It seem about your speed.

Yeah you're right. It's not like I fell asleep through the last two transformers

Yeah you're right. It's not like I fell asleep through the last two transformers

Perhaps the fact that you've even bothered to see the last two Transformers movies is indicative of your taste in movies. I gave up on them after the first two. But to each his own. :)

Now if that bastard so much as twitches, I'm gonna blow him right to Mars.

It's also because they hammer things like "true story", "real events", "American hero", blablabla… and modern audiences buy it because they love TV drama. Studios are basically serving them TV movies on a big screen, and that's all they want, they don't understand what movies are about anymore. The same goes with American Sniper, The Big Short and Spotlight, or almost any recent movie based on a true story. There's no filmmaker's vision in those (especially the last two), just a story told as blandly as possible. If it was made for TV it would be shot exactly the same way.

Yeah, they should use this film as a marketing 101 course. Manipulating the audience to full extremes. Releasing a plane movie on 9/11 in New York, advertising the two second flashback of the plane crashing into the New York buildings, hiring Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood to a budget of 40 millions which was likely half being their salaries. Another 22 million down the hatch for an average movie this weekend.

Really because i hate TV Dramas. TV Dramas usually suck. I don't think a movie like Spotlight needs to be visionary. A movie like this dosn't need to be next Citizen Kane. It just has to tell a decent story. Also most of the people who voted for this film were not americans.

That's valid for the vote, but the domestic box office was still 36 million although I get your point there

It doesn't need to be visionary but it needs to be cinematographic. Compare Spotlight with All the President's Men for instance, both on investigative journalism and unearthing a big scandal, completely different approach. Spotlight takes zero risk on style.

I wrote that somewhere else, but I think people rate those movies highly, because they think:

Sully: "THIS GUY SAVED HUMAN LIVES, IT'S IMPORTANT, 10 10 10!!!"
Spotlight: "PAEDOPHILE PRIESTS ARE NASTY, THIS FILM IS IMPORTANT, 10 10 10!!!"
The Big Short: "THE HOUSING BUBBLE RUINED AMERICAN LIVES, IT'S IMPORTANT, 10 10 10!!!"
American Snipper: "SOLDIERS ARE HEROES, IT'S IMPORTANT, 10 10 10!!!"

Perhaps so. But all of those movies felt more believable than most hollywood blockbusters with a lot of fake action gun fights and CGI. At least they keep some space for character development and story and after the movie you can read about what happened in an article.

Something about that just feels very satisfying, even if the movie wasn't perfect at times, at least it had some sense of realism.

You're over thinking the box office numbers way too much. It did so well partly because of Hanks and Eastwood. Also, everyone knows the story of Sully landing a commercial jetliner into the hudson so that is intriguing enough. You think its justifiable for the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings of the world to open to 100 million dollar weekends…cuz i don't.

because it was great!!! troll

OP - I walked out of the theater saying almost exactly the same thing. I cant believe they ended on a joke. Its like they didnt know how to end it. They should have just shown him coming home to his wife or something.

This movie was already short and it was still too long. Didnt need to be a feature film. An hour on television would have done it justice. 44 minutes with commercials. Showing the plane crash once in detail would have been enough.

I cant say I hated it, in fact I enjoyed it, it certainly was worth a tuesday afternoon & a half price movie ticket….but once is enough. I never have to see this movie again for the rest of my life.

"I'm so confused". Yes, you are. This was a great movie. Movies that recreate actual events are restrained by the facts. Within that context, to pull off a riveting and totally watchable movie like this is a tribute to Eastwood. I have reviewed hundreds of movies and this one definitely deserves the high reviews that it has received.

You've had your say. Your messages are plastered all over this particular film's messages. There are a lot of great movies that have been made that do not pull in the box office bucks, it happens all the time. Parenthetically, there is a lot of crap that has made tons of money. Sully does not fall into this group. You are simply wrong about this film.

Goat at Ruthless Reviews

Yes, you're right the system is messed up in that sense, but it still doesn't detract from my comments in fact you are highlighting why they are valid. Sounds like you're saying Sully made more than expected even though it was a decent film. Hmmm, sounds familiar to what the post is saying. The movie is "totally watchable," yes it is, but is that typically a quote attributed to an 8.0 movie?

I think not.

Again everyone bashing the post isn't really building the film up, but rather adding to my confusion. Most people are saying the film is watchable, but those films typically don't rake in 36 million, they also aren't must see films but films that are good enough to see which is what 8.0 films should be. By comparing it to the system as a whole and determining that "well other films do better and have higher ratings even though they are worse" (paraphrased of course) doesn't mean this film deserves its box office haul or high rating. Mostly I'm trying to say that you gain nothing by seeing this movie in cinemas, and it would be a good film on Netflix or from Redbox. While I know you all are trying to say I am wrong the defenses aren't exactly glowing reviews of the movie.

It's now pulled in $118 million, an impressive haul but it still doesn't make Sully a film made for the big screen.

Re: 36 Million?! How?! 8.0 rating? How?

Despite Hanks, it just wasn't a very good movie, verrrry thin plot – and only 90 minutes? Bit of a snoozefest despite the heroics…could've been so much more. Save your $$$ and watch it on tv.

I wouldn't say Sully was a terrible movie through and through.

The actual scenes involving the flight of the plane, the landing and the rescue of the passengers were pretty engaging.

Unfortunately, those scenes totaled maybe 20-30 minutes. The rest of the movie was a bit trite and poorly edited in terms of sequencing the scenes. And the ending was a bit insipid.

It's definitely more of a live-action documentary than a film, but worth the watch nonetheless. It's not bad by any means. Told basically as it happened without much over dramatization actually, that's why it was slow. Real life isn't exactly an action movie.

Aw, no vampires, huh? Movie sucked!

I remember viewing the older generations as clueless when I was a smartassed kid. LOL, how wrong I was. However, I do feel confident that the village-raised millenials are the dumbest, most naive generation of humans ever produced. I hope I live long enough to watch them either collectively wise up, or die.

Damn, that's quite aggressive and depressing. For one I think you're wrong. Oh wait you said nothing of substance. I think it's hilarious that everyone thinks I or others with my opinion want "Vampires" or robots or whatever blockbuster you can concoct. These are clearly the baby boomers go too about these damned millennials.

One I don't think I ever said the movie sucked.
Two this movie is a success cause of marketing not its content. It's content is fine and well enough but Clint and Hanks sell the movie, which is thinly veiled content that is semi interesting. You think releasing it on 9/11 and using the plane crashing into the tower isn't a marketing ploy. Way to include that two second scene into the trailer.
Three Clint is no Hitchcock. Maybe watch one of his films and see how this is a 6.0-7.0 movie and not an 8 plus.

You've repressed a lot of thoughts into your simple response, you are clearly naive if you think this film is art or the alternative to my interests is vampires or robots. Nice job. I bet you walked five miles through the snow just to write that post!

When you are going to talk about how a movie is, and you're going to be stupid enough to hint at how it ends… for the love of all that is good use a friggin' spoiler tag you.

People like you ruin movies for everyone else, and there is no way in hell I'd ever listen to anything you have to say about movies when you don't even have the most basic of perspective about movies in place (other people don't see them like you).

Now go grow up.

This comment has to be a joke right? "An abrupt ending on a weird joke" is not a spoiler. If anything that only would make one want to see it more. I think if you're worried about spoilers in a movie like this then you probably aren't the target audience either way.

That's like me saying the plane lands on the Hudson and you screaming at me to put a spoiler tag.
Grow up. Man you guys are ridiculous. I tried to create a conversation about why it's overrated and the best responses I've gotten are that other films are overrated too.

Have an opinion or don't, this is a movie discussion board so yes Einstein people don't see them like me, but unless you add to the discussion or say something vastly different then you should find a site rather than be petty and post stuff like "grow up"

You'll notice one guy gave actual insight to why he disagrees. Great discussions.

My only question is: Why is Anna Gunn in this? Her persona consists solely of playing the annoying, vengeful female (i.e. Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Sully, etc)… can we just put her out to pasture already… she's the next Kirstie Alley, and very soon she'll be doing slimfast & hydroxycut commercials

I liked the movie. Thought for a moment to give 8 or 9 - then gave 9. The story was very basic and one hour max. would sound appropriate for such basic stories. But I never felt it being long - maybe because of the great director and great performances of actors. I'd agree with you about the repetitive scenes, but I really loved the ending.

I think its clear that points are subjective to what you take from a movie. Be it, good direction, acting, action, imagination, reality, so many different things different people give different value to..

I think 8 is probably a fair reflection on what it tries to offer.

It seems several people think the ending was the fade out when in fact it all fits 'nicely' at the real ending, the passengers with their seat numbers and showing how those affected by the avent, their families and friends, the community, the rescuers, witnesses, they all were involved and all escaped with some surrealism that will stay with every one of them for ever.

It lets you just appreciate the responsibility of the entire airport whilst the same time knowing that if the pilot hadnt done every single thing nigh on perfectly then it could have been a very different story.. In fact a story with so many negative impacts that it would have been a far bigger story than this is/was. Which in a way is sad in itself and also ensures that an 8 it is for me.

Well … if anyone wonders why every other movies these days depicts people with superpowers fighting aliens in their underwear, they should read your post I suppose. You watch a movie about a real life hero who pulls off a one in a million water landing that saves all lives on board - an event that no one ever trains for - and you think it's weird. What a world we live in! You watch a movie with actual, real life drama - although he's a hero, there are those who think he did the wrong the thing and want to bring him down, which causes him to question his own actions - but you don't understand what you're watching. You're basically saying that you don't understand real life and you don't find it interesting or worthy of a movie. You can't understand how a movie about an actual hero - and his associated trials and tribulations - can be highly rated and make money. I find that to be weird! It's a sad indictment of modern movies and modern audiences…

P.S. The same scene most certainly is NOT repeated three times in full over the course of the movie. I don't know what this false belief of yours indicates, but it's probably that your attention span, and attention to detail, is lacking. Which is honestly not meant to be an insult; I'm just trying to explain why you couldn't understand the difference in the three reiterations of the scene and the reasons for them. Once again it's probably an indictment of modern movies, rather than a criticism of you. Personally I found the movie to be very interesting, very dramatic, and ultimately very moving. I didn't find it weird at all that in the end he was vindicated and, as such, was finally able to laugh…

We're from the planet Duplon. We are here to destroy you.

I get it. You liked it. And again for the twentieth and last time I am not saying it is a bad movie. I am saying it's a slightly above average movie even, but not an 8 as an individual movie. It wasn't amazing and it was interesting, but that doesn't make it a great film. The acting was phoned in at times as well as the directing. The reference I will give is Birdman, that is an 8. This movie isn't even close in quality to the nuiances that pulled off.

I studied film for 8 years if I wanted to I could break down every scene. Frankly though he didn't make me care about any scene. It jumped all over, yes each reiteration showed a different subtle change of view, but they were still the same scene and used to make the movie an hour and a half. Way to insult the viewer. It's funny though that you and other seem to think these problems I have are what leads to superhero movies, which is insane.. The movie was fine, but not an 8. You really think it should be rated up there with Hitchcock? Come on.

I have a feeling people are voting for the hero.
I still gave the film a 7, it told the story of what happened pretty well.

ain't it fairly obvious why it's rated high?

it's a decent movie with Eastwood/Hanks tied to it. but more importantly… people are going to overpraise it because of what happened and that whole hero image thing.

still… it's one of the best movies i have seen this year but that's not saying too much simply because i can say 2016 is my weakest overall year since 1998 as i would have to go back to 1998 to find a weaker overall year for movies.

i gave it a 6-6.5/10 (a mild Thumbs Up) so far but ill see how it holds up on a re-watch eventually.

———-
My Top 100-ish Movies of All-Time! = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz">http://goo.gl/EYFYdz
———-

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It's a biography, so it's expected to be a little slow movie, but it's really well done and I really think it's a fine movie.
Will watch it again too.
You might not like this movie if you were convincing yourself that there will be a twist, well there isn't gonna be one! it's not a damn thriller!

easy 8/10 for the acting and directing, it's a simple enjoyable inspirational based on true story biography movie.

totally agree with you

Agree this was an absolutely terrible movie that exploited what was a truly heartwarming story.

Re: 125 Million?!Awesome 7.6 rating? Awesome?!

Your comment makes it seem like you don't know that this movie is based on a real event that was widely publicized at the time, and also on a book about it that was written by the real Sully. And the repetition of scenes after more information and background has been provided is an effective device for emphasizing how the same scene can be viewed differently based on new information.