Midnight Mass : First post on this show – it's good, if slow-burn.

First post on this show – it's good, if slow-burn.

I am 3 episodes in. Creepy show on a creepy island.

And as advertised, it's very, very, very Catholic, right down to the liturgy and sacraments,

Re: First post on this show – it's good, if slow-burn.

What did you think of it? I just started watching. It is number 3 in the UK.

I'm digging it. It's the same people who brought us the The Haunting of Hill House.

I'm already hooked on the great atmosphere and strange people.

Going to watch this once I finish Squid Game.

Azn: “He (Orsen) now pretends to be in his 50s, but is in his 70s or close to 80 yo.”

Squid Game is fun.

It reminds me of the uk show, Utopia.

It’s visually spectacular and zany.

Harry Starlord: “Lord Orson, you are stupid loser who's 50 years old with the brain of a stupid 2 year monkey.”

Finished it the other day and really liked it.

It's good! Very simple set-up, when you think about it, but I am still mulling the whole show over in my mind.

My only complaint is that there were too many scenes of completely unnatural conversations where each character gave a long monologue instead of, you know, talking with the other. A lot of those monologues were good, but still.

I don't disagree. They take you out of the story a bit, though most were well-written. But still, you are right.

How does it compare with the first season of The Haunting of Hill House? You said they’re by the same production team, and that first season was spectacular.

Harry Starlord: “Lord Orson, you are stupid loser who's 50 years old with the brain of a stupid 2 year monkey.”

Similar. Strong. (And I didn't like the shmaltzy ending of the first season of Hill House).

I started this today and it seems quite good thus far.

I was surprised though that it took a whole 9 mins for the first black character on a wheelchair to appear. I’m even more surprised that there hasn’t been a gay couple yet.

Knowing Netflix as a do, this will soon follow .

The forced diversity in Netflix shows is galling.

You don't recommend it then?

Bye

I just finished ep 5. It’s a slow burn at first then suddenly goes almost too fast and a bit True Blood!

Overall, I would give it 8/10 thus far - it is pretty fascinating albeit a bit out of kilter.

I had no idea who Hamish Linklater was until I watched this and he’s honestly Ben Mendelsohn level good.

I binned Netflix off a few weeks ago since I couldn't find anything to watch and I'm currently subscribed to four other streaming service!

Just not sure I'm interested enough to invest £5.99! I mean that's a bottle of Sainsbury's Cava you know?

This Linklater guy looks demented, I assume that's a good thing.

Bye

I pay almost triple that to get 4K.

Btw I thought you were PAGG with your username!

Btw I thought you were PAGG with your username!
^blocked

Bye

BTW there's a new episode of Midsomer available, it's called Happy Families and Ade Edmondson is in it.

Bye

Didn’t know that. Any good?

We watched it last night, it was good yes. IMDb lists another 2 episodes which apparently aired in August but I'm buggered if I can find them.

Bye

Do you have Sky Q?

You can get them all on there

I doubt it. The eps I mentioned aren't even on itv hub.

Bye

Hamish was in the remake of The Stand and he had a role in Fight Club.

And no, he ain't related to the director of Boyhood, the "Before" movies and Dazed and Confused.

What, do you got your period?

He was in fight club? Nice

That is a classic movie for sure. Brad Pitt is a hottie in it and you even get a bleach blonde Jared Leto as well!

Jared is still hot at almost 50, but he is not so hot in the trailer for that new Gucci movie.

Get out of my face you retard.

I was being nice to you. Why would you call me a retard?

Blocked

I love a good slow burn, and was totally addicted to this show, but that ending…yikes. The ending is baaaaaaad. It might borderline ruins the whole show for me. I was soooo engrossed in the whole show, but the last episode really soured me. Extremely unsatisfying and frustrating. I remember feeling exactly the same about Hill House.

The next to last episode and beginning of the finale were fantastic. So tense and violent. Then the townsfolk, who were extremely eager to join a vampire cult 20 minutes earlier, all start feeling bad. The sheriff's kid abandons his dad, Sturge joins Bev, Pruitt tries to kill Sturge, then they all just stop. They all just stop. All that raw emotion and violence, then they grow a conscience. Pruitt stops killing the guy who just killed his daughter? Ali just walks away with his dad after Beverly essentially kills him? Everything just comes to a hault; and for another lame Kate Siegal monologue, no less.

And the vampire just let's her cut its wings? Please.

What a brutal ending.

See one of my responses above - I didn't like the last episode of Hill; I think that the showrunner here has a minor issue with sticking the landing. I suspect that he likes his protagonists too much and wishes to redeem them, make their deaths meaningful, and that takes away from the horror. Compare these endings with the balls-to-the-wall ending of The Mist…. But on balance, I thought a solid show.

I haven't revisited Hill House since the first and only time, but I remember feeling the same way. Totally into it and being completely deflated with the flat and unsatisfying ending. He absolutely sucks at endings. I will not be wathching the show he did in between the other 2.

I rewatched Hill and will rewatch this, but you're both right; he wimps out of truly chilling endings

I like the slow burn. Felt as good as 80s Salem's Lot

The first season was incredibly good and the ending didn’t really ruin it. It wasn’t completely retarded like the end of Midnight Mass. It still remains an 8.5/10 show, and the trailer is too good (below). S2 was about 6/10, maybe 5/10.

The first season was amazing. I'm weary of gore so I've gravitated more and more to Asian ghost stories and comedy horror

The house seemed really unspeakably vindictive, and finding out that apparitions that came to them, could in fact be themselves dying a grisly death was … stunning and horrifying

Never been especially fond of slashers, these built the tension amazingly. HoHH is the first horror since the Ring and Ju-on that gave me goosebumps. Small touches like the statues changing in the background, and half glimpsed shadows. I loved it

I felt badly betrayed by the ending, but pleased that there were no cliches of a direct sequel. I abandoned American Horror Story because whatever series arc there was after the first season, I couldn't detect it. It just seemed like a sequence of set pieces. Bly Manor was perhaps too clever, it was allegedly making allusions to Turn of the Screw

The MM finale was indeed a let down, and so far they all were. This will be the last one with any goodwill or tolerance for a schmaltzy ending. I think Corwin is right, he doesn't stick the landing and Flanagan's signature is the saccharine "happy" ending

If I remember correctly, didn't absolutely nothing happen at the end of Hill House?

I'm a tad hazy now, but basically my recollection is that;

The father agreed to die so he could live happily ever after with insane toddler-poisoning mother, somehow sparing the other kids. "Neck lady" somehow shrugged off the evil influence and protected them too. Baffling and out of character with the previous power and malevolence of the house

And that's why I didn't like the end to 'Hill House'. It was a bait and switch – the house and its spirits are malevolent up to the last episode, then, no, nope, they're just misunderstood! It wasn't exactly a fearless approach by the showrunner, and it also made some earlier parts of the show nonsensical.

I actually think that the ending to Midnight Mass was a bit better.

Oh, I wasn't even talking about the internal family stuff, but you're not wrong there either.

This family was being haunted by multiple ghosts for decades. Tortured, essentially. And there's absolutely no resolution to that. There is no faceoff with the ghosts. No confrontation or resolution to that. The ghosts bother thrm the whole time and they just…stop.

Then you throw in the fact the husband kills himself so he can be with his murderer wife and their daughter starts talking and acting like a normal person after haunting her own family. Like….what?

Oh it's about vampires? I'll pass.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I’m on the penultimate episode and the show’s lost its way quite a bit.

Face it nothing's ever going to be Utopia (UK).

That was stylish

It was popular enough to get a remake but not popular enough to get a proper finale in the original series? Will the American one survive past the "ethnos" revelation? Was there supposed to be more?

Utopia (uk) did have a proper ending. The US version was by all accounts brutally awful and sanitised.

The original had a terrific cast. Paul Ready was really good as the psychopathic hitman - he was great in the terror too, playing a very different role

Azn: “He (Orsen) now pretends to be in his 50s, but is in his 70s or close to 80 yo.”

THEY KILLED MICHAEL SMILEY IN THE FIRST 30MIN! 😫

AND BY NEIL MASKELL'S HAND!

I was screaming.

I got you into this.

You’re welcome!

Smiley and Maskell did it though.