Actors and Actresses : Who are the most overrated actresses?

Who are the most overrated actresses?

Shirley MacLaine is one of the worst and I have no idea how she ever got a job until I realized she is the sister of Warren Beatty another guy who can't act

Re: Who are the most overrated actresses?

What movies of hers have you see that you didn't like? You really didn't like her in "Terms of Endearment"?

I think she is excellent in ToE and I think that she wanted that Oscar more than anything and gave thoughtful, sensitive, intelligent performances culminating in her 1983 Oscar win. She was so good in "The Apartment" and "Desperate Characters" and "The Possession of Joel Delaney" and I could see her getting nominated/winning for all of these movies. But then, right after the super competitive MacLaine won her Oscar, she descended (if that's the best word) into giving one crowd-pleasing performance after another. She snagged on the momentum and coasted on good will and gave performances that were entertaining, if not at all subtle. I don't know if this was a conscious thing or not, but I thought it was obvious. And it worked like a charm.

I can't stand her brother, who is nothing if not narcissistic. He is so full of himself. At least Shirley has shown humor in the past. This is what WB does not have - a sense of humor. He thinks he's so damn interesting. He's not. And he's handsome, but he's so boring that it doesn't matter. I didn't even like "Bonnie & Clyde" that much.

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

She's over the top in Terms of Endearment, so I can see why some would think she's overrated. Some of those dramatic scenes, such as give her the shot! are unintentionally comical.

I agree with you on Desperate Characters - that is one I like most of her performances.

Also, In Her Shoes and Salem Witch Trials

Are you okay?

Some of those dramatic scenes, such as give her the shot! are unintentionally comical.

——————————

You really thought the humor was unintentional in this scene? I thought it was the oppoiste, like it was directed and played in a way that went for an obvious and easy laugh for the audience.

I also don't think the hyper-intelligent MacLaine would ever do anything without being self-aware. I think she's very aware of her effects.

"Desperate Characters" is one of my favorite movies. I love the very early 70s big city bleakness.

I didn't see IHS or SWT. Is the second one a scary movie in any way? I hate that persecuted-as-witch subject matter.

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

Nah, Salem Witch Trials is an historical drama depicting what prompted the colonial witch trials.

Shirley has a nude scene in it.

Are you okay?

Have you seen The Crucible with Daniel Day Lewis, Winona Ryder and the always dependable Joan Allen? MacLaine plays a character on witchcraft charges that is taken from this play/film; Rebecca Nurse. Haven't seen MacLaine's t.v. movie.

The Crucible
is distressing, but intriguing as well and the acting is cracker jack. I am not a DDL fan either, but this is my favourite role of his.

A review from IMDB:

Just fantastic!

Based on possibly the greatest play ever written, The Crucible is a fabulous movie - it's hard to believe that it was actually distributed by 20th Century Fox, and not an independent company. Why it took so long to be adapted for the big screen is just baffling to me.

Thank God that the genius behind the original text, Arthur Miller, was permitted to write the screenplay - and get an Oscar nomination for it! The cast are all to die for, with Winona Ryder proving she doesn't always have to play lovable characters like Charlotte Flax in Mermaids (1990), or Jo March in Little Women (1994) - her performance as the malicious Abigail Williams is just as outstanding.

In her Oscar nominated portrayal of Elizabeth Proctor, Joan Allen leaves an indelible impression of marvellous acting. I was in tears in the scene where she and John Proctor (Daniel Day-Lewis) fall in love all over again.

I sincerely hope that The Crucible will be shown in schools/colleges in years to come, to remind us of the horror that occurred in 17th century Salem. A work of cinematic genius.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Maclaine will never be hyper-intelligent, she's hyper-sexualy-desperate. She's admitted to sleeping with 3 execs at a time. Hyper-Ho is more like it. Plus, she's so unappealing and too manish so most of her roles did not stand up. How can Warren Beatty have such an uncomely sister?

She sounds a lot like Beatty to be honest.

I think she is excellent in ToE and I think that she wanted that Oscar more than anything and gave thoughtful, sensitive, intelligent performances culminating in her 1983 Oscar win.
Yes, and in a self-depracating manner, (which could be taken the wrong way, however one looks at it), she even claimed…"I deserve this…." in her acceptance speech.

That MacLaine also won in an exceptionally strong year for nominees, was also a great year for her to win an Oscar. I love Aurora in Terms and it is a performance to be cherished.

She wasn't really active again until the late 80's and early 90's. She was fun to watch in Madame Sousatzka, Steel Magnolias, Waiting For The Light and Postcards From The Edge, all perfect vehicles for her.

I still have yet to see Defending Your Life, then mid 90's she started to drop off again. She liked to write her self-empowerment books too.

Michael Caine makes a ridiculing jab at her in his second auto he wrote. He thought she was potty, but he had to credit MacLaine with launching his Hollywood career.

I can't stand her brother, who is nothing if not narcissistic. He is so full of himself.
While I acknowledge that Beatty was pretty boy handsome, I have never found him sexually appealing. I do like Splendour In The Grass, but that is more for Wood and Kazan's lush film making-style which I enjoy.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Most of them of the past 25 years actually.

I realize now that Hollywood is just a game similar to a popularity contest.

If you play the game right you will be heavily promoted, overrated and will probably snag a few awards along the way.. maybe even an Oscar.

Much like the music industry it's about promotion and not necessarily talent.

But Hollywood has a way of chewing you up then spitting you out. You get your 15 minutes and then it's off to the next girl…or guy of the moment.

Some of these actors though have some staying power but that's only because they stay playing the game. Others decide to opt out.

If you need a name I'll throw in Jennifer Lawrence.

Filmboards: A place for friends.

Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Halle Berry. All have won an Oscar but haven't been great in many other roles.

Yes they're all overrated and only one because they were going up against lesser ****

How far back are we going? Shirley MacLaine slept her way to stardom. She actually admitted it, but I don't remember which incarnation it was. She's sh!t, but the bottom of the pond scum comes Gwyneth Paltrow. Her only talent is being the daughter of some mediocre talent (sorry, you were great in Brighton Beach Memrois, after that, hang it up, girl). She walks away with an Oscar bought by the producer named Harvey Weinstein. Even Lauren Bacall knew it was BS, as she was a ballsy broad who spoke her mind. 2nd comes Marily Monroe. Not, in any means, an actress. She was a bleach blonde with big hooters (who also slept her way to stardom), but, in hollorgy (oops, hollowwood), that's talent!

I'm not impressed by Marsha Mason's acting. It seems stilted and forced and takes me out of the story.

My password is password

Moon Bloodgood