Film History and Meaning : The 60s and 70s were horrible decades for film

The 60s and 70s were horrible decades for film

Exceptions would probably include Disney classics or major Blockbusters like Star Wars, Jaws, and Alien, but otherwise it was shit.

Movies in general from those decades don't interest me at all.

Or am I wrong?

Comedy wasn't funny, horror wasn't scary, practical effects have aged poorly, acting was more oriented for theater, and film quality was grainy.

Very few films from that era seem to have withstood the test of time, and movies didn't start to feel watchable for me until around the 80s.

You had your golden era from the 30s to 50s, then total crap, and finally good stuff starting in the 80s.

Thoughts?

🦸‍♀️ Up, up, and away! 🦸‍♀️

Re: The 60s and 70s were horrible decades for film

Soilent Green rocked.

Harold,the singing angel harks.

I lasted about 10 minutes on it, but gave up.

That does make me think of some Biblical epics like Ben Hurr and the 10 Commandments, though, which were pretty cool.

Jason and the Argonauts

Alba gu bràth

YES!

Name ONE black and white film that came out before the 60s that does not contain a scene where a man in a suit slaps a hysterical woman to calm her down. I dare you!

CHINK-SLIT LIUVER,. I HATWE CINSK, - @Azn2

12 Angry Men.

Aside from 12 Angry men.

CHINK-SLIT LIUVER,. I HATWE CINSK, - @Azn2

No, I answered your challenge.

(runs victory lap)

Glad you brought this up. I have big thoughts on this.

There was a scene in some random B&W movie I saw eons ago. A husband came home drunk and was acting like an ass by turning over furniture or whatever. The wife approached him to greet him and said something. He then grabbed a plate of food and smashed it on her while she sat down and sulked.

It wasn't a comedy scene, it wasn't to depict him as a jerk. It was just standard and acceptable treatment of women at the time.

There was even a scene in an episode of I Love Lucy where Desi was scolding Lucy like a child in trouble. Lucy just lowered her head and kept saying, "Yes, sir."

LMFAO… NO.

It's very easy to see the contrast today, and it makes me grateful for modern society.

Re: The 60s and 70s were horrible decades for fi

Before my time but sounds convincing.

I'm cumming irl.

Re: The 60s and 70s were horrible decades for fi

💦💦💦

They were terrible.

A trend at that time was a hippie inspired gross realism.

A lot of movies were fake hippie "country people" movies, westerns that were gross, which is a Jewish thing to remove heroics from American stories, and ugly cop movies.

A casting trend in the 70s was to get ugly actors for movies, once again from a hippie "keeping it real" perspective. Many times those people were in very run down areas like NYC at the time.

James Bond was turned into comedies, again due to the jewish/hippie any fascist hero business.

The 60s were filled with hippie films making a mockery of everything with nonsensical comedies, etc.

The 30s, 40s, and some 50s movies were awesome.

Once WWII was over the jews went nuts trying to destroy any media that they believed contributed to Nazism.

It's amazing to me that we have any kind of serious adventure or superhero films because jews hate them.

So happy you mentioned Westerns.

The 70s Spaghetti Westerns were the WORST.

My son loved westerns growing up, and I'm thinking along the lines of John Wayne or Roy Rogers.

Nope! The 70s Westerns were horrendous. After overseeing a couple of his movies depicting graphic rape, women being scalped, cigars being extinguished on their lady parts, spurs being grated over their bared breasts, and other things I won't mention, I had to start screening them.

WTF?

What a shit era.

It's what I said.

I am not making it up or assuming it's a Jewish filmmaker thing to degrade heroism because they believe it's fascist.

All Americans heroes in the 70s were degraded such as "George Washington has wooden teeth" and personal stuff like that. The media, also Jewish, does things like that to modern political figures and so on. Sasha Barron Cohen makes movies always to humiliate people.

The Daily Show is an example of this tactic.

Westerns were shown as being about American heroes but the only hero for jews, is jews.

So, they set out to show that all famous western figures were dirty, rapists, murderers, and so on.

In the 90s, we got back to action films but they were over the top fantasy kind of things that weren't realistic for they were in a sense almost satires.

So happy you mentioned Westerns.

The 70s Spaghetti Westerns were the WORST.

My son loved westerns growing up, and I'm thinking along the lines of John Wayne or Roy Rogers.

Nope! The 70s Westerns were horrendous. After overseeing a couple of his movies depicting graphic rape, women being scalped, cigars being extinguished on their lady parts, spurs being grated over their bared breasts, and other things I won't mention, I had to start screening them.

WTF?

What a shit era.

It sounds like some people really cannot stand a dark gritty movie. What's with all the sensitivity? Not every movie has to be Spongebob Squarepants or whatever a lot of people who hate Westerns are expecting?

This is a joke, right? They were amazing decades for film.

Some good ones:

Serpico
A Fistful of Dollars
Nashville
Taxi Driver
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Cat Ballou
Cool Hand Luke
Papillon

I've only heard of three of them, but haven't even watched them.

What do you think of One Flew Over the Coocoo's (sp?) Nest?

Another so-called classic, but I HATED it.

I'll spare all the reasons why, mostly the misogyny, but just the pacing and plot was pretty dull.

I never actually finished that movie; I didn't like it either.

Also:

Jaws
Several James Bonds movies
Barry Lyndon
The Shining (1980)

Agreed with Jaws! Mentioned that one in my OP.

Was never really a Bond film fan (old or new, to be fair) and the Shining was EXCELLENT.

2001 bored the shit out of me though.

On reflection though, I think that you are on to something in that it probably wasn't a great couple of decades for women in cinema. Most of the movies I like from that era are about men being men's men.

It really is great for a social study.

Those were the decades of women's lib, and I can see a lot of media displaying the angst men were feeling over the loss on the grip and control they held over women.

It's a wild theory, but I even think that's what partially inspired the outbreak of violent serial killers in the 70s that were driven by their hatred and sexual frustration towards women.

It was a turning point where women were starting to step up in society, and it mixed into a dangerous cocktail of them also being violently and sexually degraded in film.

But that would send me off on a bunny trail I'm too tired for. Lol

I think that there's a lot of truth there. When some dudes start to feel like the privileges that they had are eroding away, watch out. Particularly if their heads were not on straight in the first place.

And for cinema of that era, it was still very very much a man's world. It's crazy to think that the Weinstein stuff was going on only a few years ago (and some of it probably still is).

For 2001: The spoiler that nobody ever mentions that would make the movie make more sense is that the monolith evolves the monkeys at the beginning of the movie, and it evolves the astronaut at the end. The rest, in the middle, is cinematography and a computer going mad.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Deer Hunter
Dirty Harry
One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest
Patton
Solaris
The French Connection
American Graffiti
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Chinatown
Apocalypse Now
The Godfather and the Godfather II

Groovy

The Godfathers were well done. Good example!

The rest just weren't my cup of tea. Even the Holy Grail has some classically funny bits, but it was mostly just "meh" to me.

And I don't think the Life of Brian even made me laugh once.

That's fair of it isn't your "cup of tea." I can dig that.

Groovy

Well… kinda pointless to argue that there were a lot of great movies when you’re basically saying the great movies just aren’t your cup of tea.

I live. I die. I live again.

Yeah, I thought maybe I'm just being fussy and unfair.

Not sure how to phrase it better.

It just seems like, generally and comparatively speaking, the 60s and 70s were the worst decades for films.

There were obviously some phenomenally incredible movies made during the period, but a far smaller percentage than the decades before or after.

The Planet Of The Gapes were okay.Movies became better in the 80's with the influx of cocaine in Hollywood.

Plus the early 70,s were a depressing time,innocent hippies became drug burnouts,the states lost the Vietnam War,inflation was high and movies were actually going backwards in special effects till star wars restarted special effects.

The variety of movies in the fifties and sixties and seventies dwarfs everything you can see today, about 90% of which is some kind of Marvel Superhero franchise, comic book adaptation or terrible tv spinoff.

Five from each decade:

1950's
On the Waterfront
Bridge On The River Kwai
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Band Wagon
Marty

1960's
To Kill A Mockingbird
Goldfinger
The Producers
West Side Story
The Longest Day

1970's
Scarecrow
The Bad News Bears
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
A Clockwork Orange
The Conversation

Superior writing far in advance of the dumbed down pablum churned out by an increasingly cynical Hollywood that has given up all pretense of making intelligent films for its shrinking audience.

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

I am glad to see that you added Scarecrow to the 70's list.
I asked for and got it for Christmas and am re-watching it a second time where usually more time passes in between viewings of movies I own.
It is very vastly underrated and it should not be.
It has two giants of cinema in it. Why don't more know about it?

You must be talking about US film since the French and Japanese New Wave and Italian
neo real movies made a huge impact. Not only at the time but for upcoming directors.

As far as the 70's go I think it started another trend going forward. It was the
beginning of the "average guy" films. Guy's like Pacino, Hackman and Hoffman became
stars. They became leading men and it wasn't based on on the classic leading man look.

before you leave remember I was with you

Re: The 60s and 70s were horrible decades for film to me.

Fixed your title for you.