History : Ireland - time to clear this up

Ireland - time to clear this up

The problem here is the word Ireland.

Ireland is an island made up of two separate countries - Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, aka Eire. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not Great Britain. ROI/Eire is indeed a separate country, but it is not strictly independent, since it's part of the EU.

Hopefully that clears the situation up for everyone.

Fun fact. I once had to work there and my company gave us training to ensure we didn't get ourselves into any trouble by being ignorant.

If anybody tries to tell you Belfast is a wonderful city full of jolly little folk, they're lying. Trump would call it a shit hole. So would I. The people live in houses the size of a gas station restroom and the streets are overflowing with garbage.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)
Murdered by a Teutonic catfish

The Republic of Ireland is NOT part of the UK!

Nope!

The Republic of Ireland is NOT part of the UK, as erroneously suggested by several posters. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is an independent country. If you don't believe me, check out this wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼

That's entirely correct, but not what you've been saying elsewhere. You have previously stated that Ireland is not a part of the UK, which is incorrect.

https://filmboards.com/board/p/20081558/permalink/#p20081558

https://filmboards.com/board/p/20081079/permalink/#p20081079

https://filmboards.com/board/p/20081570/permalink/#p20081570

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Lmao 🙄

And I was correct. No part of The Republic of Ireland is in the UK.

I repeat, No part of The Republic of Ireland is in the UK. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand??

That's correct. When you differentiate between ROI and NI your statement is correct. The problem arises when you swap out ROI and use Ireland. The names are not interchangeable. ROI is the country, Ireland is the island on which ROI exists. It shares Ireland with NI.

If you would just read what I'm saying, and notice that distinction, you'd see why this argument is persisting, and why everyone is telling you you're wrong.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Okay I already said I meant the ROI. I repeat: No part of the Republic of Ireland is in the UK.

Satisfied now, Bubba?

There's no need to be moody with me about it. It's your error, I'm just clearing it up.

Yes, satisfied. Like I said, use ROI and you're bang on the money.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

No, I did NOT make an error, because it was OBVIOUS that I meant the ROI when I pointed out that the UK consisted of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. At that point, it was obvious that I was referring to the country, not the island.

At that point you people were just playing silly semantics games. I was correct.

I figured you were intelligent enough to understand that I was using Ireland as an abbreviated version of The ROI, because it's easier and quicker. People in the ROI don't go around referring to their country as The ROI. They just say Ireland. Or at least that's what they said when I was there.

Just like I don't refer to my country as The United States Of America. I simply say the U.S., the States, or America. But anyone with a brain knows that I'm referring to the country, not the continent it's on.

I've never seen anyone who enjoys presenting himself as an ignorant, angry asshole as much as you do.

Good job.

Seven deadly sins, where do I begin? So many choices, so little time.

Jesus, man, what are you trying to do? Take Gameboy’s crown as the most obstinate, mentally deformed mess on the internet?

You’ve been making an arse of yourself regarding this for what must be a week now. Your brain is literally broken.

Azn: SUIIT UP, YOU UGLUB POECE PF SHIRT.

If you thought people were playing semantics you should have called them out on it at the time. Saying so now looks like you're trying to hide the fact that you made a mistake. You also wouldn't have arrived in this thread telling me I'm wrong.

There's really no need to get pissy about it. The debate has ended, everyone knows what everyone else meant, and we should all just move on.

If you want to make more out of it, be my guest, but you'll be punching thin air.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

I thought at first that some of them were ignorant enough to actually believe that Ireland was part of the UK, when it is clearly not. I then realized they were playing semantics.

And there was no mistake that I needed to hide. I was 100% correct. Ireland, whether you're speaking of the island or the country, is NOT part of the UK. Period.
I was, correct, and those other people were either playing semantics or they were stupid, or both.

I don't like being told I'm wrong, when I am not. And you were wrong too.

MMC2, the U.K. owned the entire island of Ireland for centuries. When the entire country of Ireland was a part of the U.K., are you saying there was no Ireland?

Northern Ireland is the last vestige of the U.K.'s ownership of Ireland. I hope the history clears this up for you.

Administrator
"filmboards is a bold experiment in free speech and anarchy"
I GameBoy

Yes, I know that Ireland was owned by the UK for centuries! Duh! Thanks, Captain Obvious!

But that is history. As of 1949, the Republic of Ireland, or just Ireland as most people call it, became an independent country and LEFT the British Commonwealth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/46480953

I never said there was no Ireland. I said (for the 28th time) that no part of the current country of Ireland is part of the UK, and those on this board who said it is, are simply dead wrong!

Yes, part of Ireland is still in the U.K. There are two Irelands, the Republic of Ireland and Tuaisceart Éireann Ulster Scots, which is part of the U.K.

I hope that clears this up, Rhiannon. <<< [gay irish eyes]

Administrator
I GameBoy

This is what an argument with you feels like, just so you know.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

^ so much this

“I didn't know you could read”

And he'll prove it again just as soon as he reads these comments…

A more dignified man would simply own the flaw and explain how they know it's a problem but they just can't help it.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Dude, you made a whole thread about it. Lol.

Administrator
I GameBoy

We all make threads. What's your point?

Mine was that even when categorically proved wrong, by a host of other users, you'll continue your argument under the delusion that you're correct.

What does that have to do with me starting this thread?

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Oh please, you cannot compare any debate I've had with this one where MMC2 is so clearly being obtuse.

You're an anonymous troll who I was mean to at one point and you're trying to prove some butthurt point.

Administrator
I GameBoy

Well, I tried.

Had you agreed with my point, the space time continuum would have no doubt imploded, so it's for the best that you remain in denial.

Carry on.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Lmao 🙄

No, you're wrong. Stubborn, but wrong.

There's only one Ireland, and no part of the country of Ireland is in the UK. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Ireland is NOT a part of it.

You brought this on yourself 😌

Lmao 🙄

And I'm having great fun telling you knuckleheads that you're dead wrong!

In your dreamsssss 😴💭

Lmao 🙄

Nope. Every day, right here on Filmboards!

Ireland as a whole comes under British Isles

That's neither here nor there, since I did NOT mention The British Isles.

I said that Ireland (or the country of Ireland, of the Republic of Ireland, if you please) is NOT part of the UK. Are you one of the idiots who thinks it is?

I suspect that in his lucid moments even Movieman understands it, he is just incapable of admitting that the island of Ireland is actually called Ireland, that Northern Ireland is quite literally in Ireland and the Republic of Ireland is also quite literally in Ireland! Therefore his assertion that no part of the island of Ireland is in the UK is false.

We can continue explaining it to him but we can't understand it for him. 4+ years of worshipping Trump has messed with his mechanism.

It's especially damning considering the person he was 'correcting' acknowledged the distinction by claiming she might also float into the Republic. He was caught with his ass out and wants to pretend like he wasn't arguing with us over Ireland as a whole when we stated several times in our posts that yes, NORTHERN Ireland was the country that was a part of the UK, but that said country is still located in Ireland.

Hark! Harold the angel sings.

Like Gameboy, his ego is so fragile it cannot tolerate being wrong.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Re: Ireland - time to clear this up

The people live in houses the size of a gas station restroom and the streets are overflowing with garbage.

You visited Shooter then?

Which one was Shooter? Was he the one in the alcohol induced wheelchair, or the fat one with meat pie smeared across his face?

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Same person.

Keep on smiling!

Got it.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

I think I have both Northern and Southern Irish.

Chinese-Indonesian, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, French, English-Irish - 5'2"-5'4"
Blog

FuckingFaggotShithead

I am Anna. I am Google.