The Watercooler : Why can we say "people of colour" but not "coloured people"?

Why can we say "people of colour" but not "coloured people"?

It's literally the same bloody thing. I don't get it.

Lmao 🙄

Re: Why can we say "people of colour" but not "coloured people"?

https://www.languagetrainers.com/blog/2016/07/25/orwell-gets-it-right-how-language-manipulates-and-controls/

In short, by conforming, you're letting somebody else tell you what you can and cannot say. What you say, and how you say it, determines what you think.

It's a left wing tool and it's beyond shameful. It's not just being applied to people of color, but also the whole LGBT thing.

It's exerting CONTROL over you, which is what the Lefty Loons want more than anything!

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼

Yes, agreed. I thought that's what I said? I guess I only inferred that though, so perhaps you were just making sure none of the idiots missed my point.

That is what you said. I was just making sure none of the idiots missed your point.

And there are a LOT of idiots here!

It’s interesting how racial language works because in Scotland the politically correct term for black people has always been ‘darky’. If you were to say that in England though you’d probably get decked!

January 2021 - 9th place in the EPL
May 2021 - Champions League Finalists
Tuchel - Broken to brilliance

Me neither, I stopped trying to say the "right" word for fear of getting it wrong and being called a racist.
The idea of cultural appropriation is also baffling, isn't that exactly what integration is or should be, the swapping of cultural ideas or is it just one way street?

“I didn't know you could read”

What do Spanish people, or people of Spanish, say? I ask because they put the noun before the adjective anyway.

For "New York Univrsity," they'd say, "Universidad de Nueva York."

You're right though, it is literally the same meaning, linguistically.

I supposed because during segregation, designation for folks of black would say, "coloured people only." They're people, but they're coloured implying some foreign trait. "People of color" suggests they're people first, as the definitive trait.