Religion, Faith, and Spirituality : Why is it “cool” to be atheist ?

Why is it “cool” to be atheist ?

Most fervent atheists I know are as obnoxious as religious people. They place so much faith In science when science’s understanding of concepts such as gravity are as faith based as Christians and their belief in the magical power of JC.

I think the belief that it’s cool to be atheist is rooted in the belief that it’s hip to be square. Online, intelligence is power. The more intelligent (square) you are, the more powerful you are. Atheism is associated with intelligence because scientists are often atheist. Hence, it’s cool to be atheist (online).

I'm cumming irl.

Re: Why is it “cool” to be atheist ?

They place so much faith In science when science’s understanding of concepts such as gravity are as faith based as Christians and their belief in the magical power of JC.

The Internet in general and this board in particular is filled with so many people who are knuckle dragging morons that I literally cannot tell if you are dumb enough to sincerely mean this or are just parodying a certain kind of ignoramus one finds here and there.

Sad state of affairs to be in.

“Defund the police and replace them with therapists!” - Magnetic Monopole, self professed genius with a 160+ IQ

The Internet in general and this board in particular is filled with so many people who are knuckle dragging morons that I literally cannot tell if you are dumb enough to sincerely mean this or are just parodying a certain kind of ignoramus one finds here and there.

Sad state of affairs to be in.

I'm cumming irl.

“Defund the police and replace them with therapists!” - Magnetic Monopole, self professed genius with a 160+ IQ

Not what I said, but then knuckle dragging, dumb pieces of shit like you rarely deal with reality, since your entire worldview depends on denying and fleeing from reality.

Here's some reality for you: 90% of police activities in the USA do not require the use of any kind of armed force for the officers to do their jobs. So even though I didn't suggest replacing the police with therapists, objectively a therapist could do the same job most of the time, perhaps even better in some cases.

And I'll take your reply as confirmation that you really are dumb as fuck when it comes to the difference between science and religion, too.

Except that is what you said and that is not what I said. And you know it. But this is he (me) said, “they” (you) said, ain’t it.

I'm cumming irl.

When you have to lie to defend your position, it ain't much of a position, is it cupcake?

I agree. Back up your figures, fruitcake.

I'm cumming irl.

Why should I bother? If you are so fucking stupid that you think science and faith are the same thing, then literally no amount of evidence or appeals to logical thinking ever have a chance of making past your determination to be one of the dumbest, most fundamentally ignorant fuckwits to ever post here.

That’s an awful lofty title. Thank you.

I'm cumming irl.

^this^

because its uncool to be anything else

I find them to be some of the most ignorant, retarded people I’ve ever encountered. It’s astounding someone can attack religious people for believing in something, while they believe in nothing at all, yet think they’re superior (much like the arrogant religious folks believe). Hypocrisy at its finest and another reason why the human race needs to have more deaths due to Covid/AIDS/mass shootings to cleanse us.

Don’t get me wrong, Religious ppl can often be insufferable, too.

I sorta view it like sexual preference in that I don’t really care very much about this topic. It’s just not something I think about often.

I'm cumming irl.

I can’t stand super religious ppl. The ones who believe but don’t force it upon you are fine though.

Wouldn't they be doing you a disservice? That'd be pretty selfish of them to find access to Heaven and not let people know. How rude!

There's a scene like that in The Descent. A girl lets her own friend die instead of saving her. She gets her back later, though.

Study your prey thoroughly, and choose only those who will prove susceptible.

It’s astounding someone can attack religious people for believing in something, while they believe in nothing at all. . .

Good luck finding so much as one atheist in the entire history of the human race who has ever claimed they believe in nothing at all.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I already know plenty, but thank you.

Post deleted

All these different religions.. only one god. I'd rather believe in nothing than bullshit.

You can't tell me that some "god" created everything in 7 days when it takes 8+ hours to make a fucking bread dough. It's absolute bs.

"Nothing doesn't exist so all we have left is existence" or whatever the bloody quote was. The universe has always been here. No god made it. I wish religious people would realise this.

Lmao 🙄

Post deleted

Because it's not even 100% bad?

Chinese-Indonesian, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, French, English-Irish, Amish
5'2"-5'4"
Blog

I'm only atheist to score with chicks and avoid going to church on Sundays with grandpa.

LE TEMPS DETRUIT TOUT.

Jesus power is not magic. There is no such thing. Everything God does from raising the dead to parting the Red Sea has a scientific explaination. We may not understand the science but God is not magic. Magic is just a derogatory that the ignorant slap on to express derision.

Oh, hey. Didn't see you there. Make yourself useful. Shine my shoes.

wtf are you talking about. Of course it's magic; that's where faith comes in to play. We cannot and will not understand some Mysteries.

Actually this is very true. In college I was friends with a female wizard (she identified as a Wiccan and was very liberal). I remember reading one of her books, the Satanic Bitch by Anton Lavay. The key takeaway is for magic to work you much truly believe it and that’s how you manifest whatever you’re trying to create or do. Like the Law of Attraction. Like prayer.

At heart, “magic” is powered by faith and religion is all about faith.

I'm cumming irl.

Worst book I’ve ever read, by the way. But hilarious.

I'm cumming irl.

No. God works thru science. Quantum mechanics & being able to manipulate the infinite power He is made of the way we manipulate our own hands and feet. Being able to use that energy to create matter in a manner opposite of nuclear fission which turns matter to energy. Via science we can't begin to imagine controlled by a mind beyond our ability to comprehend.

Science explains the Trinity? The ascension into heaven? transubstantiation? Why would God would give His only a Son to be crucified? The Virgin Birth?

No, my friend. Faith is about taking a leap into the unknown. It is about crossing that line from certainty into uncertainty.

That's why it's faith.

Since magic doesn't exist and God does then yes. Logically everything about God must therefore have a scientific explanation. Can I even begin to explain or understand all of it? No. But then I there are a lot of things far less complex in this world that I can't explain either.

The ascension into heaven. When you control things like gravity or can exert an opposing force then moving matter is not a problem.

transubstantiation. I don't know. Never cared. I don't know how tires are manufactured & don't get too concerned about it when I need to go to the market.

The virgin birth. Easy. If you have the power to craft an entire planet full of lifeforms then creating the genetic material to fertilize a single egg is nothing.

As for why Jesus had to die that is the key message of the Gospel

God has many attributes in perfect balance. One of these is Holiness. Think of His holiness as a cleaning fire. Once we were contaminated by sin it is as though we took a dip in kerosene. Heaven is filled with the presence of God. Much as He wants to save us and bring us to heaven He can't unless our sins are washed away. Otherwise His Holiness would annihilate us. Another of His attributes is Justice. The price of sin is death & eternal separation from God which is hell and that price must be paid. This left God with a seemingly insurmountable problem. How to save us from our sin and bring us into His holy presence while still satisfying Justice? You may have heard that God is Love? This attribute supplies the answer. It is for love that He took the form of the man Jesus, lived a sinless life and suffered in our place. Justice was thus satisfied. Whats more, He didn't make salvation complicated. Believe. That is all He asked. There was only one way He could make it work but He made it super simple. Just believe. His did absolutely everything in His power to save us all but in the end it isn't up to Him. It is our choice. And for those who choose eternal torment they have only themselves to blame.

Like why does the bread always fall butter side down?

A true Mystery. We are not meant to understand.

I think the belief that it’s cool to be atheist is rooted in the belief that it’s hip to be square.

All self-professed Atheists can really rationally claim, is that they are 'without' belief in theist God. From an objective sense, that is all the term implies. I don't believe in theist God, yet don't identify as atheist either. When an atheist dismisses any connection to the rest of how the universe is interwoven and comprised, yes, they are just root logic square.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

My dad was an atheist.

Chinese-Indonesian, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, French, English-Irish, Amish
5'2"-5'4"
Blog

When an atheist dismisses any connection to the rest of how the universe is interwoven and comprised. . . .

What does this sentence even mean?

Only a brick logic atheist or a dogmatic theist wouldn't get this.

You had an opportunity to go back and realize that you wrote a badly composed sentence that really made no sense at all, as we all do from time to time. I know I've done it.

You could have corrected it and unpacked its intended meaning to make clear what your point was. Instead, you doubled down and chose to act like a child.

Alas, your behavior only reinforces my initial reaction that you were spewing bullshit in an effort to appear profound when in fact you had literally no idea what you were saying.

It could have gone a different way, but you didn't want it to. What does that say about you?

What does that say about you?

Errr! More about you.

Another opportunity to communicate your ideas has been wasted, further confirming that you were full of shit the entire time and never had a salient point to make.

Thanks for letting us know who and what you truly are.

Well, at least I know I'm not a triggered atheist….😂

Aren’t you glad I made this thread, monopole? You seem to be enjoying it immensely. Gee, what a great guy I am. How kind I am to bestow upon you such salient of conversation starters. Jesus! You should be calling me Jesus and renouncing your atheist beliefs!

I'm cumming irl.

Agreed, they're just as annoying and usually more pretentious/obnoxious. I know more aggressive atheists who will condescendingly argue than pushy religious types. And i think i have a pretty fair amount of atheists and religious peeps in my life to judge

I used to say that I'm an atheist. I might be agnostic. I mostly don't care

I think there was a time when it was "cool" to be atheist, which probably peaked in the 90s or early 2000s. But now, I feel like people often associate it as being just as prone to cringeworthy behaviour as the heavily religious and preachy types. If I'm being honest, I wish I could believe in a God. It would make life a lot simpler. I just can't erase all doubt and cynicism.

Theists are so lame, that people just assume that atheists must be cool.

People who can't communicate think everything is an argument.

I don't think I'm cool by being an atheist.

Just because I'm not on THEIR side, doesn't mean I'm on YOURS.