Directors : Which speciality makes the best transition to directing?

Which speciality makes the best transition to directing?

Probably inexhaustive lists but good enough.

Actors. A lot of these. Everybody knows the Oscars loves to gift actor-turned-directors. Some of them (not all Oscar winners): John Cassavetes, Mel Gibson, Ben Affleck, Warren Beatty, Cornel Wilde, Sarah Polley, Kevin Costner, Clint Eastwood, Greta Gerwig, Charlie Chaplin, Bruce Robinson, Ron Howard, Robert Redford.

Writers. Christopher McQuarrie, David S. Goyer, Charlie Kaufman, Joss Whedon, David Mamet, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Federico Fellini, Paul Schrader, Nora Ephron, Billy Wilder, Alex Garland.

Cinematographers. Kind of sparse. Nicolas Roeg, Barry Sonnenfeld.

Special Effects Artists. Just one that I know of but I think there may be others in the horror genre. Douglas Trumbull.

Editors. Robert Wise, David Lean, Hal Ashby, Don Siegel, Anthony Harvey, Peter Greenaway, John Sturges.

Fashion designers. Tom Ford.

I believe it is true what they say, what makes film unique as an art is editing—and so editors make the best directors.

Re: Which speciality makes the best transition to directing?

This might not count, but music video directors have been very successful transitioning to Hollywood directing.

Actors seem to according to your list. They spend all day on set around them and are intimately involved with them during filming. That gives them a lot of experience on how to direct a movie.

Is it fair to call Chaplin an actor who turned director? When he started, movies weren't really major productions yet, more labors of love, and often the brains behind them would take on many roles by necessity. I don't even know that they had well defined roles for filmmaking yet.