Animation : Missing the Peanuts Holiday specials

Missing the Peanuts Holiday specials

Ever since they took them away it's been depressing not having Snoopy for the holidays.

FCK Apple!!

Election 2020

Full Election Results

Download The CBS News App

Obama Interviews

Norah O'Donnell Reports

Surveillance Documentary

Coronavirus Updates
NEWS
2020 ELECTIONS
SHOWS
LIVE
Watch CBSN Live

Charlie Brown holiday specials will not air on TV for the first time in decades — they'll be on Apple TV+
BY CAITLIN O'KANE

OCTOBER 21, 2020 / 1:36 PM / CBS NEWS

For the first time in nearly six decades, the Charlie Brown holiday specials will not be broadcast on television. Instead, the Peanuts are heading to Apple TV+.

Each year, local stations announce the much-anticipated airdates of the iconic Charlie Brown Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas specials. The trifecta of animated specials has aired on ABC for the past 20 years, according to Vulture. Before that, they aired on CBS.

Families can still continue the tradition of watching Charlie Brown around the holidays — but it will be a bit different this year.

Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox

Apple TV+ announced this week it has made a deal with Peanuts Worldwide and Lee Mendelson Film Productions to stream the specials, including "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (1965), "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" (1973) and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966).

Apple TV+ will also be getting new originals featuring the "Peanuts" characters.

In a statement to CBS News, a rep for Apple confirmed that the specials will only be available on Apple TV+. Each will be available for free for a short period of time. Then, "Peanuts" fans will have to pay to watch Charlie Brown, Snoopy and their friends.

TV & Streaming
"Jeopardy!" will resume production with a new interim host
"Who shot J.R.?" 40 years ago we found out
Charlie Brown holiday specials will air on TV after all
Ben Watkins, "MasterChef Junior" contestant, has died at 14
The Halloween special, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," was expected to begin streaming globally on Apple TV+ on October 19, and will be available for free from October 30 until November 1, Apple said in its press release.

"A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" will be available on November 18, and free to watch from November 25 until November 27.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" will be available for free from December 11 until December 13.

First published on October 21, 2020 / 1:36 PM

© 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Caitlin O'Kane
caitlin-okane.jpg
Caitlin O'Kane is a digital content producer covering trending stories for CBS News and its good news brand, The Uplift.

newsletter logo
Be in the know. Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.

See All Newsletters
Copyright © 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy CA Privacy/Info We Collect Do Not Sell My Personal Information Ad Choice Terms of Use Mobile User Agreement About Advertise Closed Captioning CBS News Store Site Map Contact Us Help

30 seconds after the Challenger blew up he's on the phone selling NASA stock short. Mr. Nice Guy!

Re: Missing the Peanuts Holiday specials

Re: Missing the Peanuts Holiday specials…

I rented the DVDs from Netflix and put almost all (or most) of them on my hard-drive.

"I AM El Señor Fernando PÓO (💩)!!!!".

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Both specials are airing on broadcast TV. The Thanksgiving special already aired on November 22nd on PBS. The Christmas special will air on PBS on December 13th.

You can also watch both specials on Apple TV for free. The Thanksgiving special will be available to anyone for free from November 25 to 27. The Christmas special can be watched for free from December 11 to 13.

Or you can buy them so you can watch them whenever you want.

Thank you. Good old PBS. I should support them more.

30 seconds after the Challenger blew up he's on the phone selling NASA stock short. Mr. Nice Guy!

Apple acquired the rights so they are basically allowing this to be shown on PBS who agreed to partner this year and show the movies ad-free.

But I totally agree with the sentiment. These should be in the public domain at this point. But the best way to say 'screw you' to Apple and the like for similar things is to…well…I'm new here, so I don't want to say…but you know. I mean I'm about as filthy a capitalist as you can get. I actually LIKED Gordon Gekko, but sometimes you have to draw the line.

"I gotta feeling we're going to make a killing today, Marv.
Yeah, where's your machine gun."

I own them all in a DVD box set. I get it's "tradition" to watch them on tv, but there's nothing stopping people from watching them period.

If life is getting you down and you feel hope is lost, then please come dance with me!

It's not the same if it's not on TV.