Tenet : Nolan claims his inaudible dialogue style is actually brilliant

Nolan claims his inaudible dialogue style is actually brilliant

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/film/christopher-nolan-says-other-directors-have-called-to-complain-about-the-inaudible-sound-in-his-films-2816864

“It was a very, very radical mix. I was a little shocked to realise how conservative people are when it comes to sound. Because you can make a film that looks like anything, you can shoot on your iPhone, no one’s going to complain.

“But if you mix the sound a certain way, or if you use certain sub-frequencies, people get up in arms.”

Apparently fellow directors have been calling him up and they disagree.

“We got a lot of complaints,” Nolan told journalist Tom Shone in the new book The Nolan Variations (per IndieWire). “I actually got calls from other filmmakers who would say, ‘I just saw your film, and the dialogue is inaudible.’

Re: Nolan claims his inaudible dialogue style is actually brilliant

Nolan is such a hack.

How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real

It's definitely an issue with some of his films, but I usually watch movies with subtitles anyway. Which is why I'll be waiting for a digital release.

The epic music often distracts from the essential dialogue, and that's not brilliant.

I honestly don't get why this is an issue to some people. I think that it makes the sound more impactful, powerful and realistic in a way. It's a personal style and each filmmaker has his trademarks.

I have some issues with Nolan's films and ESPECIALLY his fans. But the sound was never among them.

"You're a disease, and I'm the cure!" - Marion "Cobra" Cobretti

I honestly never noticed any problems with the sound in his movies. I was always able to hear the dialogue just fine.

I live. I die. I live again.

Same here. Other than the stylistic choice for Bane and Batman's voices, I've never had any issues with his sound. Heck, most people never really noticed.

But I can understand why some people had issues with Tenet. Though it didn't bother me too much.

So many stories, so little time.