Box Office : Disney announces new streaming focused strategy - the death of theaters?

Disney announces new streaming focused strategy - the death of theaters?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html

On Monday, the company revealed that in order to further accelerate its direct-to-consumer strategy, it would be centralizing its media businesses into a single organization that will be responsible for content distribution, ad sales and Disney+.

“I would not characterize it as a response to Covid,” CEO Bob Chapek told CNBC’s Julia Boorstin on “Closing Bell” on Monday. “I would say Covid accelerated the rate at which we made this transition, but this transition was going to happen anyway.”

“We are tilting the scale pretty dramatically [toward streaming],” Chapek said

This isn't portrayed as temporary response to COVID, but as a permanent shift away from the traditional theater reliant business model. One of the things it is said to expect are same day releases of new movies on Disney+ and theaters. Considering Disney and their properties accounted for 40% of box office grosses in 2019, this move could be the end of movie theaters as we know it.

Re: Disney announces new streaming focused strategy - the death of theaters?

Nicer TV's?

🖤 ½ Chinese-Indonesian ❣️ ¼ Irish French German ♬ ¼ Irish German French Dutch
BlogSpot

If they are going to charge $30 dollars a movie like they did with Mulan, then I don't think this will work. It will still be cheaper to go to the theater for most.

I think 4k TV will be the death of theatres. small 75" TVs with surround sound, who needs to leave the lounge!

I love movies!

This is going to fail hard. They will never be able to recover the cost of making a movie by releasing it in any other format than theater. Going to the theater is a social activity for many people, one that cannot be replaced by watching a movie at home, which is something we can all already do and do for free or very cheaply.

The whole thing is stupid and what I would call the nail in the coffin for an industry that already has both feet in the grave after the covid crisis.

One episode of a network TV show is currently more profitable than any movie. What do they plan to do? Charge $30 for a single viewing of a new movie AND support it with ad revenue? Get fucked, Disney.

What happened to the American Dream? It came true! You're lookin' at it…

It is just going to increase piracy. There will be perfect copies of all of their movies available for free the day of release now.