Cheers : Does Ted Danson loathe being remembered as Sam Malone on "Cheers"?

Does Ted Danson loathe being remembered as Sam Malone on "Cheers"?

Part of the problem of being a comedic actor is that you will live your life pigeonholed to that character. That's not to say that Ted Danson has fallen victim to that wrath, as he has an impressive body of work that strays far away from Sam Malone. But no matter how relevant you are in Hollywood in the aftermath of playing a character on television for so many years, your fans will be stuck in the past, and that can be annoying even if that well-known character is flattering. Case in point: Sam Malone was the epitome of cool, as opposed to the rest of the main characters on "Cheers." Although, I will make an exception with Dr. Frasier Crane, since not only does his income blow Sam's out of the water, but Frasier was likeable enough to get a spinoff. With that said, the worse that can happen when fans see Ted Danson or Kelsey Grammer walking down the street is someone hollering "How about a beer?" or "I'm depressed," as opposed to what John Ratzenberger probably has to deal with on a daily basis. Cliff Clavin basically falls in the same category as the following cash cows in a sitcom:

Al Bundy ("Married with Children")
Sheldon Cooper ("The Big Bang Theory")
Steve Urkel ("Family Matters")
Arnold Jackson ("Diff'rent Strokes")

I think the same can be said for the following "Sam Malones" just because of their cheesefest personas:
Uncle Jesse ("Full House")
Zack Morris ("Saved by the Bell")

Sam Malone may be a man's man instead of silly like my lists above, but I'm sure Ted Danson grows weary of being associated with that character, as he is a trained thespian who wants to be remembered for more than that.

FYI - Hip Hop artist Nas has been known to get frustrated that fans constantly praise him for "Illmatic" - his very first album that he recorded 22 years ago, as the rest of his albums don't seem to get much recognition, despite the phenomenal reviews on Amazon. Therefore, entertainers in general are somewhat of kindred spirits in that regard, despite their genre.

Re: Does Ted Danson loathe being remembered as Sam Malone on "Cheers"?

I liked it when he was on CSI

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Yeah, he'll be sobbing all the way to the bank.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

I hope not