Movie Awards : New rules for Best Picture at the Oscars

New rules for Best Picture at the Oscars

Someone decided that diversity needs to play a huge role in the Best Picture category.

#OscarsSoCancelled

LOL. 🤡🌎

Re: New rules for Best Picture at the Oscars

It is maybe not as woke as it first sounds, it's not necessarily all about tokenism on screen. I mean maybe someone who wouldn't normally be considered for a job within the industry will now get a fair chance.

Anyway this is from the BBC news.

In its latest announcement, the Academy said it was introducing eligibility requirements for the best picture award "to encourage equitable representation on and off screen in order to better reflect the diversity of the movie-going audience".
It lists in detail the underrepresented groups - which include women, racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities.

It lays out the following areas where such groups need to be involved:

On-screen acting and storylines, "including at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group"
Creative leadership positions, departmental heads and crew composition
Paid apprenticeships, internships and training
Audience development, from publicity and marketing to distribution
These detailed requirements will only apply to films made in 2024 for the awards ceremony in 2025, and beyond. Until then, films from 2021 will be required to submit an Academy Inclusion Standards form.

"The aperture must widen to reflect our diverse global population in both the creation of motion pictures and in the audiences who connect with them," Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a joint statement.

"The Academy is committed to playing a vital role in helping make this a reality. We believe these inclusion standards will be a catalyst for long-lasting, essential change in our industry."

“I didn't know you could read”

Well I'm glad Spike Lee got an Oscar already because he'd be fucked getting one under the new rules.

LOL. 🤡🌎

Good point

And that's where the diversity needs looking to.

I'm all for hiring from a diverse pool of people who have the proper training and experience, increasing access and opportunity to training and experience for those underrepresented in the industry and celebrating the one thing we all have in common - our differences.

But, sometimes a story has significance in who does and does not appear in it.

LOL. 🤡🌎

Remember all the hoo ha about Midsummer Murders and it's lack of diversity of the sudden appearance of a black maid Marion in Robin Hood?

I think that shows like "I May Destroy You" have a central role in modern storytelling but unless some doctors or lawyers move to Midsomer or time travel is invented for Maid Marion it's just not feasible to shoehorn in diversity.

LOL. 🤡🌎

Just when you think Hollyweird can't get any more fucked up….

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

I reckon online entertainment will have to be the way forward for proper storytelling now MMC

LOL. 🤡🌎

I think it already is, Hoss!

The first thing you did wrong was label it as DIVERSITY.

It's not diversity! It's simply taking account of all talent available in the movie making business. The purpose is judging talent from every where. Kind of like America's Got Talent except in Hollywood. That's all it is. No need to make it political.

https://youtu.be/iPUwtyZglQI

https://youtu.be/QRTNm6GLJYI

Hollyweird has surrendered to the PC Police and the SJW's!

Nope, you're totally wrong, Bobby Jo.

It most definitely all about the leftist holy grail of diversity. That means they're no longer going to pick the BEST picture, they're going to pick the most DIVERSELY PRODUCED picture. Hollyweird has surrendered to the PC Police and the SJW's. They're going to reward PC, and NOT excellence!

And it's WAY too late to ask that it not be made political. Hollyweird just did that, and they now SUCK even more that they used to.

BTW, how would you feel if you were forced to patronize a business that SUCKED, and that you HATED, but was PC and Diverse? I'd bet cash money that you wouldn't like that.

It most definitely all about the leftist holy grail of diversity. That means they're no longer going to pick the BEST picture, they're going to pick the most DIVERSELY PRODUCED picture. Hollyweird has surrendered to the PC Police and the SJW's. They're going to reward PC, and NOT excellence!

Hmmm… Isn't it the way things had been for the past few years? You know I really disagree with your hate towards leftists, but this might be THE thing on which I totally agree with you… And did so for a few years now. I don't really see how this announcement will make things any worse than they already are.

"You're a disease, and I'm the cure!" - Marion "Cobra" Cobretti

Okay let's discuss which films were nominated and did win during the new protocol?

Moonlight
Green Book
BlacKKKlansman
Harriet
12 Years a Slave

What others?

https://youtu.be/iPUwtyZglQI

https://youtu.be/QRTNm6GLJYI

Yeah that's true, but now they've codified and their stupidity and unfairness. And btw, I don't hate leftists, I hate their politics.

It consumes you though and it makes up for 99% of what you post here.
▲ Top