Travel and Recreation : What it's like to really work at Disney: rules employees must follow

What it's like to really work at Disney: rules employees must follow

https://www.rd.com/list/disney-employee-rules/

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Re: What it's like to really work at Disney: rules employees must follow

Interesting article. They certainly have their own culture there.

I like the way they reduce the unpleasant daily miss-happenings down to a code:

“We’ve got a code H”

Which is the nicest way I’ve ever heard anyone say We need a horse shit removal on aisle 4. Better don your coveralls, and bring plenty of shovels and a wheelbarrow for this one, because you’re going to need it

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

👍

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

you left out nose plugs!

I'm WildManWizard

These are all true

I never had to pick up trash though since that was left for custodial

It's worse now.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/disney-world-florida-pandemic-precautions-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-1035232/

We’re not required to be tested at all. We don’t have any Disney-only testing centers. We don’t have any mandates that say we have to get tested if someone in our area tests positive for COVID-19. They may tell our leadership about it. Our leadership doesn’t have to tell us. Some cast members have taken it upon themselves to inform everyone they work with that they’ve tested positive and basically telling you you should go out and get tested. But Disney will not [necessarily] tell us if anyone that we work with has tested positive.
And then when we, as cast members, try to tell [the managers] that we feel unsafe, that the guests are crowding each other, it doesn’t always feel like it’s heard. I think they put the guest happiness in front of safety sometimes.
Going into work every day is very nerve-wracking. It gives me a lot of anxiety knowing that there are people who might have the disease and just haven’t told anyone about it, or that they have told management about it and management hasn’t told us. It’s scary. We don’t know the exact amount of cast members that have been sick. I know personally of a few cases as a shop steward. A lot of people feel more comfortable coming to us [at the union] and telling us about those kinds of things than they do speaking to the management team. But I know that just in Florida, we had almost 9,000 cases yesterday, and that’s the lowest it’s been in like two weeks, and so it’s hard to imagine that some of those aren’t coming out of Disney World, especially through cast members and through guests that are traveling to get here.
The most difficult interactions I’ve had with a few guests were just telling them that they need to keep their masks on their nose. I’ve had a few guests tell me that they’re wearing it properly and that it doesn’t matter. Some of the guests just don’t care…. Guests are told before they come in that if they’re not wearing the mask the entire time they’ll be asked to leave. I don’t know if that’s actually happened. I haven’t heard any stories of guests actually getting kicked out. I don’t know if it’s actually being enforced. I couldn’t say. Guests get their way a lot at Disney, that’s all I can say.
It’s really difficult watching guests come into the park every single day and get on the rides every single day. We still see a lot of elderly guests and a lot of guests bringing newborn babies to the park or people riding around in the ECVs [motorized scooters] because they’re older and it’s really hard to look at them and think, “Well, they’re probably putting their own lives at risk at this point as well as mine.” It’s just difficult to look at every single guest and think “What made them come to this park today, when Florida had 200 deaths a few days ago?”
We still have a lot of deaths every single day in Florida. And I think going to a theme park is probably the least essential thing that you could do in the middle of a global pandemic. You don’t need to go to a theme park and risk your lives and other people’s lives that are there, that have to work, that cannot not be working. We make $13.50 an hour right now, and it’s just not worth that small sum of money to put your life in danger every day for guests that don’t care.

Also, these quotes are from the comments section:

Hardly any guests in the park have their masks on right and being cursed at is a daily occurrence now. Guests just ignore you as they walk off with no repercussion of not following guidelines. If you suggest how to improve local cleaning and safety practices your leadership will most likely just roll their eyes and tell you that’s not required And to be more trusting of what’s in place.

Also they’re only required to clean surfaces once every 2 hours because that’s what the WHO advised for “high” touch surfaces. Though everything in Disney is more like MEGA SUPER 2yr old Licking surface… this Castmember is lucky she is even allowed to wear a face shield most cast are not. Disney has made a lot of effort to make it safe for guests despite that I really only wished they cleaned the ride vehicles more often. However the same effort has not been given for the safety of the Castmembers at all working inside in closed space environments, and no ones asks or takes our feedback on how to improve local safety procedures.
At my location at WDW there is NO CLEANING OF VEHICLES DURING THE DAY.

This was in reply to another person who said they work at WDW and feel safe:
Since disney won’t report those of us who are sick and dying from covid, you should continue to “feel safe”. I hope my life and all those sick at Space, Pandora, Springs, Epcot, etc are worth it. We are dying so you can type this bs. If my breathing is not better by morning I will be intubated. You won’t miss me, I’m a cm not in your location. Most of my location won’t even know because they aren’t told they came in contact with me. My leaders don’t even know. They do not care. The call outs just go unnoticed until they stop right.

I can not breathe. The pain is like an elephant sitting on my chest. I’m terrified. And the only place I go to interact with others is my job at WDW. I don’t do anything else because I care about guest and cast health. But I’m probably dying now. I won’t be missed by my employer.

My lungs are currently collapsed due to covid I got from working at WDW. I don’t know if I will live, I had to create a Will yesterday because I don’t know if I will make it. I got covid from working at WDW. I’ve talked to 1,000’s of fellow cast and not one said they feel safe.

I tried to work there 3 or 4 times.

34 US White • ½ Chinese-Indonesian ¼ Irish French German ¼ Irish German French Dutch
BlogSpot