Horror : does anyone long for the '80s when horror movies were original and unique?

does anyone long for the '80s when horror movies were original and unique?

you could step into a theater and watch something truly original like halloween or a nightmare on elm street. but nowadays everytime there's a movie in theaters it's a cheap, no story, PG13 watered down, poorly acted movie with a girl from gossip girl.

i miss the days of edgy, exploitation, grindhouse movies that really took chances with gore, violence, ideas, nudity, sex, and characters, and subject matter.

lukejbarnett

Re: does anyone long for the '80s when horror movies were original and unique?

I do. Now we get 5 reboots of the same character or franchise.

what irritates you most about horror movies nowadays? what is worse to you, a sequel or a remake of a horror movie? for me it's a remake, which disrespects the original by existing when it's a classic film that can't be better.

lukejbarnett

I agree. The remakes are the bigger problem. I have only encountered one example where the two of us were proven wrong.

The remakes of the Hills have eyes films were vastly superior to the ones in the early and mid 70's.

I agree. The remakes are the bigger problem. I have only encountered one example where the two of us were proven wrong.

Agreed and ouff… I was scared that you would mention Rob Zombie's Halloween remake (or even worse the second one), which I personally consider loathing insults to the original.

"You're a disease, and I'm the cure!" - Marion "Cobra" Cobretti

No chance. Rob Zombie makes my skin crawl. His film the Devil's rejects was the film in my life where I got up out of my seat and walked right out the effin door.

He is a reprobate if ever there was one.

first of all you're wrong the original the hills have eyes is a cult classic. it's widely considered one of the best horror films ever made and one of the best wes craven films ever made, along with the last house on the left and a nightmare on elm street. it's this grueling, controversial, going too far sick film like the last house on the left. i heard the sequel is bad though.

secondly the hills have eyes is from 1977 and the sequel is from 1985.

the only remake that was better or as good as the original from 2003 to now is maybe i spit on your grave from what i've read but i don't know if that's true, i haven't watched either films.

the major and biggest problem i have with remakes is they just take the name of a famous movie and make it with zero originality, like they are still in film school. their movie gets watched by a lot of people just because of it's famous, original classic film name.

which is wrong because a film should earn getting watched by people on it's own strengths not on any other movie's strengths. all these remakes are capitalizing on a famous classic film the same way comic book movies do this. so their movie makes a lot of money off of another movie's success and greatness.

the thing is if you have a movie you made and it's like another movie why not call it a different name than another movie? then it could not be a remake it could just be a similar movie to another movie. a lot of would be remakes could do this as a lot of them are really different from the movie they are like.

a lot of movies are like other movies but have different names and aren't remakes. i would be fine with even a rip off movie if it's not a remake. i would give it a chance.

lukejbarnett

I'm not wrong. I owned those original Hills have eyes movies before you were fuckin born you arrogant douche bag.

How dare you think you know more about those films or the horror genre in general. What I forgot about horror you will never know.

fuck you

lukejbarnett

No, not anymore. Psychological horror is just as good.

https://youtu.be/iPUwtyZglQI

https://youtu.be/QRTNm6GLJYI

Halloween is from the 70s, as other great horror flicks. But I must admit that the 80s were strong for horror films. I'd say that the decline in the genre really started around early to mid 90s. Every horror movies used the same unoriginal formula (with a few exceptions), relied too much on cheap jumpscars, always had dumb characters, were often more funny rather than scary, etc.

Nevertheless, I noticed that in the last 5 years or so, the genre had some sort of a reborn. Not every horror movies are good or original, but some really impressed me like Hereditary, Don't Breath, You're Next, The Invisible Man, etc.

I think these titles above are more psychological and the horror is way more subtle and often relies on what we don't see. So, I guess that, right now, is a decent era for horror.

we always have a 5 year kind of good era for horror movies like 1999 to 2002 when asian horror movies started being really good like audition but these periods are short and hit and miss most of the time. they are not as good as the classic time periods of the '70s and '80s.

did you mean you're next? now that is an original horror film as is vhs and vhs 2. also the descent and wolf creek are great.

lukejbarnett

did you mean you're next?

Yes haha, sorry. 😅I corrected it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And yes, I haven't seen The Descent (should I?), but Wolf Creek is indeed very good! A good horror gift from Australia. Are there other good Australian horror films that you know?

no

lukejbarnett

I just finished watching a psychological horror drama. Vivarium.

It was excellent! Imdb rating is way too low. I think the viewers just didn't get it. I thought it was a brilliant movie. That's what you have to focus on. You don't focus on the acting performances of the two lead actors.

There were definitely good horror movies in the 80s. They were fun.

If I long for anything from the 80s though, it's the music, and that new video channel.
I WANT MY MTV!!! 😠

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

If I long for anything from the 80s, it's the music, and that new video channel.
I WANT MY MTV!!! 😠

Haha, nostalgia. I lived in Russia until I was 7 years old in the 90s and MTV was the only American channel we had with the basic channels (we didn't have satellite, which was available at the time and had more American channels). I was pretty much initiated to American tv with it. Ooohhhh… memories.

90s MTV was nothing like the 80s when it was fresh, exciting, and new.
It was strictly music videos. Each new video that came out was like a big premier.
Speaking of premiers, I will never forget Michael Jackson's Thriller.
That was like a mini horror movie in it's self.
The Original MTV VJs were popular as well.
By the time the 90s rolled around, MTV was just another VH1…

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

MTV was total shit by the start of 1995.

30 seconds after the Challenger blew up he's on the phone selling NASA stock short. Mr. Nice Guy!

it sure was.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

I stopped watching it them as well. The content was for a different type of young adult. I watch more Mtv now though. I've watched Ridiculousness a few times.

exactly and so was music. maybe 1994. 1995 was the first bad year of rap music and ever since that year rap music has been bad and every other kind of music has been bad since about 1994.

lukejbarnett

The best horror for me was from the 70's. The 80's were fun gooey cheesiness.

~~Happy Holidays!~~

☝️I second that.

We really need to stop producing people who say such and such was better back in the day. Movies and music aren’t any better or worse than before. There’s just more now.

They were still making terrible movies back then, guys.

People are expressing their preference. Of course there were bad movies in any decade.

~~Happy Holidays!~~

Nah, man, they’re explicitly stating that horror movies aren’t shit now a days and all the great ones came out before the 90s. And if you base your preferences on when something came out then you’re a useless shit who shouldn’t be allowed to express your opinions.

Like somehow studios and directors back before the 90s were incapable of making shit movies. Gtfo with that noise.

We as a society are incapable of viewing anything through a more nuanced perspective.

You can not deny there are too many remakes. Only a handful of directors are trying to do something different in the horror genre here in the states. You have to look overseas for something original too often.

~~Happy Holidays!~~

Only a handful of directors are trying to do something different in the horror genre here in the states.
Throughout history, studios only ever made movies that they thought would make money, and often times that meant making unoriginal piles of shit. Remakes were selling and so studios were greenlighting more of them.

Doesn't really make this era of Hollywood filmmaking any worse than previous eras. Like I already said, the only difference is the fact that there are more movies being released.

you're wrong, a remake is inherently not as good as an original movie by it's qualifications. so yes this era of hollywoood filmmaking is worse than the '80s and '70s hollywood filmmaking.

lukejbarnett

exactly people like eli roth are so few and far between nowadays. people who understand the genre and make original films. every horror movie worth watching it seems come from a country other than america nowadays like japan or france.

lukejbarnett

Okay, I see your point and can't say that I completely disagree. You didn't have to be so condescending though, you could have stated your opinion without meanness.

That being said: you cannot deny that more times goes, mores ideas are used and so it gets harder and harder to be 100% creative and original. As a result, many movies are eithers remakes or rehashes of previous concepts.

I don't say that everything was better before and that there's nothing good/great or original coming out today. There is.

Plus, I prefer older movies without hating new ones. This is a personal preference and I have all the rights to have it.

just because there is no original ideas to make horror movies anymore doesn't mean they have to make a remake, they can make their movies with a different name than another movie and make it not a remake.

for example the 2006 movie halloween night. it's not that original but it sure is entertaining. it has a balls to the wall, nothing off limits, craziness to the nudity, and violence that is very '80s slasher movie. it also has a very '80s slasher movie atmosphere that is really comforting to a fan of these movies without being a ripoff of these movies like the endless remakes that have been coming out from 2003-now.

lukejbarnett

None of what you said discredits any of what I said. Preferring older movies simply because they’re older is simply retarded.

said by someone who is 20 or younger or 25.

lukejbarnett

said by someone who is 20 or younger or 25.

In was born in the 90s but I grew up watching a lot of older films. In a way, I consider myself knowledgeable enough to judge movies from different decades. A lot of people here (actually more than likely almost everyone) weren't alive during the 30s-40s and still we judge movies from that era.

So, just because a person is born in a certain decade doesn't automatically make an expert judge of quality of films, while watching movies and reading film history does.

This is why I hate these kind of condescending comments. This is just as annoying as old people constantly complaining about generations that followed them.

no, i said that to someone else, not you. i said that to the person who said nowadays horror movies are good and in the '80s a lot of them are crap.

i'm just saying someone born in the '90s might have that limited knowledge or bias on movies being better in the '90s or after than movies in the '80s and '70s because they were born in the '90s and grew up on '90s after horror movies and not the classics from the '70s and '80s.

you could very well be very knowledgeable about horror movies. i was about 15 years ago when i was about your age. i've watched a thousand horror movies in my life.

lukejbarnett

i said that to someone else, not you. i said that to the person who said nowadays horror movies are good and in the '80s a lot of them are crap.

Ah ok, sorry, my bad. 😅 Okay yeah, that's even worse. I know people who only watch new movies because they think that old movies are outdated. I know, not everybody is a movie lover. Still, it's a bit of an ignorant statement.

young people gravitate more towards new horror movies than old as i did growing up in the '80s and '90s. but '80s horror movies aren't boring to young people nowadays. they aren't slow paced or anything old like that.

a person on this discussion said nowadays with the remakes horror movies are just as good as they were in the '80s there is just more of them nowadays than in the '80s. that is not true.

remakes are inherently not as good as their original movies. they start at that position from the beginning of their production. the smart filmmakers then have to make them better than the original to make them good or great movies. john carpenter accomplished this with his the thing. also chuck russell made his the blob remake in 1988 a lot better than the original in 1958.

the most important and essential rule of making a remake is can the original be better? if the answer is no, then it shouldn't be made.

lukejbarnett

Dude, if you think the era a movie is released during is what makes it better then you’re a brainless shit. No offense.

fuck you

lukejbarnett

Blow me.

I liked the nudity and some 80’s horror movies .

There are still a lot of kick-ass indie horror movies being made like It Follows, The Boat, Cold Skin, Stakeland, Midnight Son, The Final Girls, and The Innkeepers. Granted, the bulk of mainstream horror films made today that get into theaters are recycled and watered down generic crap, but fortunately the quality indie stuff that usually only plays at festivals and/or on various streaming services more than compensates for this.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

I long for Arija Bareikis

The greatest and hottest actress of all time.

who is arija bareikis? what movies is she in?

lukejbarnett

Bareikis has been in most things. Too much to list here but has IMDB & Wikipedia listings. And a lot on youtube.

well it would be nice if you list one thing, like a big role or a big movie something she's known for.

lukejbarnett

Ok how about the mega hit "The Purge" (2013).

never watched it, never will. it looked really dumb. also, nowadays it would be worse watching it because with all the pandemic and protesting this movie would be too close to home. the end of the world stuff. too eerie and creepy and disturbing for right now.

lukejbarnett