Health & Fitness : Obesity may hinder effectiveness of COVID vaccine

Obesity may hinder effectiveness of COVID vaccine

https://khn.org/news/americas-obesity-epidemic-threatens-effectiveness-of-any-covid-vaccine/

Scientists know that vaccines engineered to protect the public from influenza, hepatitis B, tetanus and rabies can be less effective in obese adults than in the general population, leaving them more vulnerable to infection and illness. There is little reason to believe, obesity researchers say, that COVID-19 vaccines will be any different.

“Will we have a COVID vaccine next year tailored to the obese? No way,” said Raz Shaikh, an associate professor of nutrition at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

“Will it still work in the obese? Our prediction is no.”
As intensive care units in New York, New Jersey and elsewhere filled with patients, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that obese people with a body mass index of 40 or more — known as morbid obesity or about 100 pounds overweight — were among the groups at highest risk of becoming severely ill with COVID-19. About 9% of American adults are in that category.
Dr. Timothy Garvey, an endocrinologist and director of diabetes research at the University of Alabama, was among those who stressed that, despite the lingering questions, it is still safer for obese people to get vaccinated than not.

“The influenza vaccine still works in patients with obesity, but just not as well,” Garvey said. “We still want them to get vaccinated.”

Re: Obesity may hinder effectiveness of COVID vaccine

Anyone 100 pounds overweight wasn't concerned with their health in the first place.

Fat shaming again!

Will it still work in the obese?
Was that comment necessary? Referring to a group of people as "the obese" makes it sound like we're not even human.

Then, they can wear masks until an effective vaccine is made for them.

☂️ "Don't go chasing waterfalls." -"The Umbrella Academy"

Obesity is a death sentence. It kills you slow when you’re healthy, it renders you more susceptible to serious complications from illness when you’re not.

Lose weight and take care of your cardiovascular health and diet, fellow patriots. Our darkest hour will soon be upon us and it is incumbent upon all of you to stand up to this wretched virus and knock it down into the junk pile of history next to the pandemics of old. Take your vitamin D! Get your sleep! Suck my dick!!!

I'm cumming.

Hey OP, do we know if this is due to “obesity” based on “excess body weight,” or is it Obese as in excessive adipose tissue or fat? I have low fat but am much heavier than most people. Maybe I’ll succumb to the ‘Rona and return to haunt you all an apparition traversing the astral plane, invading your minds and possessing your bodies while you’re with your wives mid-coitus.

I'm cumming.

The article mentions a BMI of 40 or more, so maybe that's the main risk factor.