Mulholland Drive : Maybe my least favourite David Lynch film so far

Maybe my least favourite David Lynch film so far

It's either this or Blue Velvet. But I think Blue Velvet was slightly better for me. Some of the ideas in Mulholland Drive are interesting, but I don't care enough about any of these characters (real or imagined) to be immersed in it for the entire runtime.

Rankings so far:

1. Twin Peaks Season 3
2. The Elephant Man
3. Eraserhead
4. Twin Peaks Seasons 1, 2 and Fire Walk With Me
5. Lost Highway
6. Dune (The longer fan-edit that's on YouTube)
7. Blue Velvet
8. Mulholland Drive

After this it's onto Inland Empire and then The Straight Story.

Re: Maybe my least favourite David Lynch film so far

The DVD came with a list of clues from David Lynch to help the viewer understand the movie, but I don't think they really helped. I think if the director has to include clues with his movie he probably didn't do a great job making it. Too much of it was left in his head.

I didn't really have any difficulty understanding it, but that may be because this is the only Lynch project that I have had spoiled for me before watching it. I've seen videos with discussions around it, but even if I hadn't, I think it's fairly obvious that the majority of the movie is a dream and towards the end is reality.
And from that, it's not hard to interpret the film's message.

I honestly think this is one of his least ambiguous films, even if it is a bit on the surreal side and has bizarre imagery.

I agree somewhat about Mulholland Drive. I've watched it three times and just found it not only dull, but somehow annoying. I think Blue Velvet is bit overrated but I still think it's a great film, with some excellent vignettes.

You omitted Wild at Heart from your list. That's among my favorite Lynch films.

Of course Twin Peaks is nonpareil, his magnum opus, but I don't compare it to the films.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

You omitted Wild at Heart from your list. That's among my favorite Lynch films.

It's on the watchlist. I'll probably watch it after The Straight Story.

Of course Twin Peaks is nonpareil, his magnum opus, but I don't compare it to the films

It was just too significant of a viewing experience for me to not include Twin Peaks.

My least favorite Lynch film is Lost Highway. The protagonist becomes a completely different person and it was too much for my limited intelligence!

It was a challenge for me when I first saw it back in 2014 or so. But it's grown on me a lot.

This one is my favorite one, actually. This and Twin Peaks. I could never get into Blue Velvet for some reason.

Kiss my black ass! Toodles!

Kyle MacLachlan gave off creepy vibes in Blue Velvet, very weird character.

Dennis Hopper was pretty weird too, but his performance is basically the selling point of the movie.

Really? I like it a lot. My least favourite Lynch is The Straight Story, which isn't to say it's a bad movie, it's not. It's just too "normal" for me in that it didn't feel like a Lynch movie.

Yeah, it'll be a surreal experience watching The Straight Story. Only because it lacks Lynchian surrealism.

Mulholland Drive has been the only film of his (maybe aside from Dune) where I kept checking how much time was left. The characters just weren't interesting enough.

ranked:

1. The Elephant Man 10/10
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
4. Inland Empire
5. Dune
6. Straight Story
7. Lost Highway 8/10
8. Blue Velvet
9. Wild at Heart 7/10
10. Eraserhead…. my least favourite, but i don't know how to rate it. it freaked me out and triggered anxiety for me, but that's onto me. i don't blame the film for it.

i don't rank the series Twin Peaks together with the movies, but all seasons are a 10/10

🚫👻 I'm not Sophie 👻🚫

7/10 isn't bad for a least favourite.

I'm as hyped for as I am dreading Inland Empire.

oh i forgot to actually list my least my fav which is actually Eraserhead but for very personal reasons. i just added it to the list. i really do like and love all other films i've seen, yeah.

🚫👻 I'm not Sophie 👻🚫

Travelling on the London Underground late at night after watching Eraserhead is pretty awesome.

While on LSD?

Didn’t need it. The station was near empty and there were all these tubes, pipes and distant train noises. All it needed was a crying baby and it would have been perfect.

Understandable. Eraserhead definitely unsettles, as I'm sure it's meant to.

My favorites are the elephant Man & the straight story. Enjoy!

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List