The Walking Dead : Watching Dark

Watching Dark

Man I hope that season 3 is better
than 2, which was hot garbage. Season 2 is what happens when you start to believe your own hype.

More to come.

Re: Watching Dark

Most spectacular comeback a show has ever made. Am I right or am I right?

Yes, it redeemed itself. And in the end, made a kind of sense.

It was clear that they had sketched out from the beginning how this would unfold, which is good. Only a few loose threads.

I'm being careful what I read here.

Goddamit though, Martha is beautiful.

Oy, she is.

Have you not finished S3?

Nope, alternating between The Last of Us 2 and Dark atm for free time….plus the two recent it's always sunny seasons.

And I'm awake because the food I ordered is an hour late . And even then frankly I wish I was in my bed 4 hours ago

Yeah, I'm off to bed, let me know what you think of the end of Dark.

Will do

If you ever lose your phone it's actually life ending.

I'm living off a cheap nokia, my ipad, various devices and it's a fucking pain in the arse.

We're so heavily reliant on our phones

I watched season 1 and loved it. But I stayed away from season 2. If you guys think it’s worth finishing it all, then I will watch it.

It's pretty good, it's just that I think S2 is the weakest of the seasons.

And while watching it, I started to think that they had no grand plan for the overall story. But by S3, I realized that they did have one big story slready in mind, and plotted out.

Season 2 reminds me of the two Matrix sequels.

Far too much sci-fi and generally just a mess.

The show excelled on the excellent characterisation, and they seem to have found their groove again in s3.

You finished the season yet?

I haven't progressed at all! I've been getting blasted all day.

Watching Skins. It's all my brain can handle right now.

So anyway, Dark.

Interesting to see Claudia as the real hero of this show.

Towards the end of s3 there were so many timelines/worlds/iterations of characters that nothing seemed to mean anything anymore. Someone just died? It doesn’t matter - 5 different versions of them exist so any emotive effort is redundant.

And then the finale happened 😍

Actually, from the point where the stop the incident happening (which isn’t captured) happened…it’s as moving television as I’ve ever laid witness to.

The show should have been told in 5 seasons imo, but it’s phenomenal and a 9.5/10

The last episode brought it all together in such a lovely way.

Some loose ends, SPOILER, from my perspective:

The actions of the minister/Hanno from the first season…..all the killing of kids to make a time machine, when there were 2 or 3 other ways of traveling….a bit loose-ended, I thought.

But that's a quibble.

No, you’re totally right. He was the most evil big bad ever, and then that was brushed under the carpet.

They did way too much and so as I said, much of the latter part of s3 felt meaningless.

For me, the GOAT of this genre is lost, where they made little things matter.

Dark generally lacked the emotional impetus of this for example, as there was just too much going on. They should have made it 5 seasons as the slow burning characterisation and plot development in s1 was unparalleled.

Where I would disagree, and also paint the differences, is that yes I was a loyal watcher of Lost, I thought that the first and second seasons were about the best tv ever.

And like a good little soldier, I took the showrunners' word when they said that had a master plan/narrative.

It was pretty clear though from the last shambolic episodes of Lost though that there had never been a plan (and then they admitted as much).

Dark on the other hand, was a huge fucking mess until the last episodes; the penultimate one, hilariously a tie-up-loose-ends episode, and the last one, which was great; all this actually showed that unlike with Lost they had actually plotted it out (or most of it) ahead of time.

There isn’t much I can disagree with there, but do you mean mess in a ‘smoking hot babe’ mess way? As otherwise you’re doing it a significant disservice.

And they definitely didn’t have the lost plot planned out. Ben was only kept on as a character because he was hugely popular.

Lol. I actually rewatched the third season of Dark again because the first time I only paid it half my attention while I worked. A mess may be a bit harsh. But hard to make all the connections, yes.

And you are right on the emotional side. While Lost could be criticized for being a bit schmaltzy, a bit saccharine in places, some of the actors in Dark were so emotionless it was crazy.

Spoiler below

Case in point was the police chief who was her own granddaughter. Lol. She couldn't emote to save her life.

I wouldn't expect a lot of emoting from Germans. They do have a reputation for being cold and inhuman. That might be unfair. The police chief though, she always walked with her arms to her sides, never swinging them. I have read that is common among the autistic. I took that and her general oddness to be manifestations of her autism.

Was the character supposed to be autistic?

That was my impression. They never said it but her mannerisms as an adult and as a teenager suggested that to me. I don't think her character as a teenager was shown much but what I remember is she was aloof, more interested in documenting dead birds than in socializing.

Are you talking about Charlotte? There was nothing autistic about her at all.

BTW why do autismos put their arms to their sides? What do you even mean? Isn’t that where arms normally are?

I’m just imagining shooter with his arms up and his big gout feet stumbling along to the beach as he plots to kill himself again

Have you seen Primer? That movie made no sense to me at all.

Time travel can never make sense.

I recommend Justin Benson’s movies Resolution and The Endless, which are complex movies dealing with time:

Primer is crazy but fascinating.

At the risk of exposing myself as a massive sap, some Reddit posters have done paintings of the final scene with Jonas and Martha holding hands. Moving, my friend.

And what I appreciated was that by the third season of Dark you understood why the opening credits for all the seasons were mirror images that put together made up grotesque or disturbing images.

I am trying and failing to find that incredible montage that shows the two colliding worlds opening up the matter in the power plant.

That was some seriously skilled cinematography

Have you seen les revenants? I’m sure I’m repeating myself, but a foreign show that carries similar high end intellectual value.

No! Will look for it.

It’s rather excellent. Entrenched in misery, complete with the depressing Mogwai:

(There’s little humour!)

Is there an American version?

Fuck up cunt!

Ok, sorry.

Welcome

Yes: Hot in Cleveland.

It was called The Returned.

It was for mongos and got canned instantly

I’ve been doing a lot of reading up about Dark on Reddit, but I think it’s a futile task. A show where characters are their own parents, siblings, grandparents etc is never going to logically make sense.

But this is cool! Imma get it

I need to watch this. Everyone is talking about it.

This could be temporary.

It’s one of the best shows ever.

Is this Netflix?!

This could be temporary.

Si.

Gracias.

This could be temporary.

SPOILERS

Man.. season one, the goat! Was so hooked.
Two and three? Hot garbage indeed.
Everything that looked so promising kinda fell flat. And the whole missing kids thing ( which made the first eps so thrilling ) just kinda got ignored to the point where they hardly explained it.

And if I need to sit through another scene of Jonas and Martha looking at each other with tearful eyes I’m gonna lose it.

/ rant

I dont have a sig, YOU have a sig.

I dont have a sig, YOU have a sig.