Musicals : Poll: Phantom vs Les Miz

Phantom vs Les Miz

Phantom
0% 0 votes
Les Miz
0% 0 votes

Chinese-Indonesian, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, French, English-Irish - 5'2"-5'4"
Blog

Re: Phantom vs Les Miz

Phantom. Les Mis sucks dick.

Hark! Harold the angel sings.

I know both of them. Phantom may be overrated, but it basically beats Les Miz, however much people revel in it. I know some other good ones, but not as much a fanatic of the modern musical as some may be or junkies.

Chinese-Indonesian, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, French, English-Irish - 5'2"-5'4"
Blog

maybe but sucking dick isnt a bad thing lol it's a very nice thing. :P

Phantom. Les Miz is very good, but Phantom is better!

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼 (The Cat just got even weirder. See The Mandela Effect.) 😸

Have you read either novel?

Blog

No. Have you?

100% American

PS I like your new avatar photo.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼 (The Cat just got even weirder. See The Mandela Effect.) 😸

Les Mis is excruciatingly long, and is quite a task to read. Fans call the novel "the brick."

Hark! Harold the angel sings.

I have heard that.

Thanks, about my photo.

I read The Phantom of the Opera twice. I tried to read Les Miserables, but I skipped to baby Cosette.

Blog

You're welcome, and you should keep that one.

PHANTOM

The Hegelian who weeps over fallen statues

Les Miz has depth and breadth of characters and story while Phantom is ultimately just a love song. Far more interesting characters are found in Les Miz as well as superior music. Phantom? Meh.

Hey Diddler, Diddler….the cat and the fiddler LOL

Unfortunately, my favorite character of Les Miserables is Javert.

I actually read the book for The Phantom of the Opera. It's exciting at that age. I saw the play in 4th or 5th grade, and it was a great short story. I guess everyone most liked when the phantom got to take off his mask in the end at bows.

The most interesting character of Les Miserables to me so far is probably from the book baby Cosette, but I didn't read the book, just some of it and skipped to baby Cosette. I read another book that just had 1 young girl and 1 older lady, but most of the book was all men. It was the pirate book The Dark Frigate, when I was 11. The girl was in the beginning and at the end.

Blog

I've seen Les Miz live, but I still prefer Phantom. Turgid is a word I would use to describe how I perceived Les Miz.

I liked the sing-songy quality that resonates throughout the 10th anniversary version. I'm pretty good at recreating it more strongly in ways than they did. It's like the whole thing is the same style or something like its rhythm or harmonious and tuneful nature.

Blog

I've read Les Miserables twice, seen two or three film versions, including the classic Fredric March adaptation, the Broadway show (alas, near the end of the run) and own the Broadway cast album cd.

It's a sweeping epic, one of the great books, a magnificent musical play and a disappointing movie musical so appallingly directed it churned my stomach. I can think of few film adaptations that made me want to march up to the screen and tear it to shreds with my bare hands. No one can sing, director Tom Hooper, with his in-your-face direction, spent so much time stuffing the camera down the actor's throats to record their vocal chords, there were moments I didn't even know where they were.

Bring Him Home is one of the most emotionally devastating numbers in the play. Instead of remaining with the injured boy, Hooper has Valjean wander through the corridors of the building. What the hell kind of emotional connection to Marius is that? Anne Hathaway, universally lauded for her performance as Fantine, turns one of the great tragic characters in literature into a slobber fest. I could go on but you get the picture.

I've also read Phantom of the Opera twice. Love the book, but it's a melodramatic pot boiler that only became famous with the release of the 1925 silent, which is the best adaptation of the novel we have thus far. Since then, we have had a good half dozen films based on the book, including a couple of seldom seen versions made in Mexico and China.

The 1943 remake is good, if flawed; I haven't seen the more recent theatrical versions; and I barely recall the tv adaptations, all of which departed a great deal from the novel.

As for the musical, I like the music, almost totally dislike the show and the film, which turn the Phantom into a mewling, love sick whiner instead of the towering shadow of terror depicted in the novel.

Gaston Leroux described the Phantom's face as a kind of living skull and his skill in the Black Arts as tantamount to magic. In the musical, the Phantom's face is covered by a half mask (he has to sing) and when uncovered is about as frightening as a case of acne. You have to wonder what all the fuss about him being a monstrous ogre is all about.

So, I'm giving a no vote to both of the movies.

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

That's impressive you've read both books twice. I read The Phantom of the Opera twice as a teenager. I read the parts about the young girl in Les Miserables. That is known for being a big book.

I like the 10th Anniversary version, haven't seen the others except the more recent 2012 adaptation. We watched the 10th Anniversary one in music class in 6th grade, as that's mostly what we did.

"Bring Him Home" is ghey, you're right! but people like Josh Groban chose to make a stand avoiding what's best, to be sexual..

I would like to see old, original movies of The Phantom of the Opera. Lon Chaney was big.

I guess both stories are a bit agitating. I liked the parts about the ballerinas, in The Phantom of the Opera, though. I still don't know if it's a true story as the book said it was a mystery, in the opening.

Blog

We watched the 10th Anniversary one in music class in 6th grade, as that's mostly what we did.

I downloaded it a couple years ago. Can't remember if I got it from a tv broadcast or the internet. The picture quality is good, but could have been better.

Overall, I thought it was terrific, with the exception of the Thenadiers who, it seemed to me, broke character at the end of the number and began laughing not as the innkeepers but as themselves. I've seen much better interpretations.

I still don't know if it's a true story as the book said it was a mystery, in the opening.

It wasn't. Leroux made the whole thing up. Still, it would be something if it were. Makes a great story, doesn't it?

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

Oh? I think the 10th Anniversary is hilarious.

One of my favorite parts is the "Beggars at the Feast" where the Innkeepers sing…

[THENARDIER]

Ain't it a laugh? Ain't it a treat?
Hob-nobbin' here among the elite?
Here comes a prince, there goes a Jew
This one's a queer, but what can you do?

Paris at my feet, Paris in the dust
And here's me breaking bread
With the upper crust!

Beggar at the feast! Master of the dance!
Life is easy pickings, if you grab your chance
Everywhere you go, law-abiding folk
Doing what is decent, but they're mostly broke!

Singing to the Lord on Sundays
Praying for the gifts He'll send

[M. & MME. THENARDIER:]

But we're the ones who take it
We're the ones who make it in the end!

Watch the buggers dance, watch 'em till they drop
Keep your wits about you and you stand on top!
Masters of the land, always get our share
Clear away the barricades, and we're still there!

We know where the wind is blowing
Money is the stuff we smell
And when we're rich as Croesus
Jesus! Won't we see you all in hell!

I dunno, my other favorite song is Javert's suicide.

Who is this man?
What sort of devil is he
To have me caught in a trap
And choose to let me go free?
It was his hour at last
To put a seal on my fate
Wipe out the past
And wash me clean off the slate!
All it would take
Was a flick of his knife.
Vengeance was his
And he gave me back my life!

Damned if I'll live in the debt of a thief!
Damned if I'll yield at the end of the chase.
I am the law and the law is not mocked
I'll spit his pity right back in his face
There is nothing on earth that we share
It is either Valjean or Javert!

And my thoughts fly apart
Can this man be believed?
Shall his sins be forgiven?
Shall his crimes be reprieved?

And must I now begin to doubt,
Who never doubted all these years?
My heart is stone and still it trembles
The world I have known is lost in shadow.
Is he from heaven or from hell?
And does he know
That granting me my life today
This man has killed me even so?

I am reaching, but I fall
And the stars are black and cold
As I stare into the void
Of a world that cannot hold
I'll escape now from that world
From the world of Jean Valjean.
There is nowhere I can turn
There is no way to go on!

Blog

Les Miz is my favourite novel of all time! i remember, reading it was pure magical bliss imo, there are parts in that book where i died a 1000 deaths bc of how heartbreakingly beautifully written it is, and the Chapter describing the battle of Waterloo is probably the single most stunning piece of literature i've ever read. i've read it once yet, but will definitely return to it one day.

i havent seen the stage musical yet but i've seen a couple of film adaptations. the one from 1934 by Raymond Bernard is perhaps my favourite. i also really like the film musical from 2012 with Hugh Jackman.

Wow! Yea, the writing did look very good. I wonder if I will read it, I set myself up to read to learn German.

That's cool you saw other versions. The more recent 2012 version was okay. I asked my theater class if they saw, it and they stared ghey and blank and said no like it's obvious and expected.

I spend more time recreating it myself than watching it but not all that much. I used to like to sing the girl songs. Once, I performed "Castle on a Cloud" on piano with my music teacher's daughter singing, for a festival. They were cool and from Wisconsin, way Up North, if you know about it.

Blog