Books : Favorite Books on Directors, Actors, Etc.?

Favorite Books on Directors, Actors, Etc.?

I love biographies, but I really love autobiographies, because its (hopefully) coming from the source, even if they might leave out a few details.

Or a book about Hollywood, or the movie-making process… I just bought one entitled, "Letters from Hollywood: Inside the Private World of Classic American Movemaking"

I have Marlon Brando's autobiography "Songs My Mother Taught Me" and would highly recommend it.

Highly recommend
Conversations with Filmmakers Series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversations_with_Filmmakers_Series

I'll add more once I take a look… Please share any recommendations!

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Re: Favorite Books on Directors, Actors, Etc.?

I have a few books on that theme. My favorite is 'The Story of Film', by Mark Cousins. It covers practically everything and is very treasured by me.

Damn, I should have got this while I was maxing out my new credit card… Oh well, I have 27 books coming in!

I've read:-
Kevin Smith's My Boring Ass Life
David Bowie: an illustrated record.
Many books on Marilyn Monroe
Scar Tissue- Anthony Kiedis
Jon Landis- Monsters in the Movies

That's all I can think of for now

"US woman funding ISIS with bitcoin gets 13 years in prison…
Too bad she was caught" said Lara "fury" Croft

Rock Hudson: His Story was a good read. Gets real sad toward the end. But what an amazing life he life he lived.

Rock Hudson: Friend of Mine: By Tom Clark

"That's a dumb question, Miss Glenn’s Organ."

the book Truffaut wrote on Hitchcock

May sound cliche to some..but my fave book is "THE STAND"
this book is so descriptive that it had given me nightmares..the "Trashcan Man" and his dealings were so memerable and described in such a way it freaked me the fuck out!! So much that i still have him in my nightmares as a grown ass man.
They have done so many of books ro movie and i know they had done one a while back..but i would LOVE to see this one done again even better.

Quentin Tarantino. 'Shooting From The Hip'.

I'm not finished, but "Bloody Sam: The Life and Films of Sam Peckinpah" is one I'd recommend. I like some of his movies, but always found him to be more interesting that his films.

Years ago I read Warren Newton Beath's The Death of James Dean (1986), which I remember as an exhaustive compilation of all possible JD death scenarios, its various cultural aftermaths, and scabrous details of his hustling and hooking to make a dime before Hollywood came calling. Fascinating, dark, and sad.

Sam Staggs' books on individual classic '50s films - All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard, A Streetcar Named Desire, Imitation of Life - are terrific and full of information and weird semi-forgotten anecdotes, but the best and only essential one is All About 'All About Eve' (2000, 2001), particularly the 2nd edition. There's just more of a discrepancy in this instance between the gleaming perfection of the film and the scrambling that went into it, so that the backstory (and after stories) intrigue more than the others.

Pauline Kael's books of reviews and longer essays (10 or so between 1965 and 1991) are essential, because she takes the blood pressure of the industry and the audience every three years and even at decades' remove she can still read like an embedded journalist rather than an occasional observer. And her arguments are infuriatingly good! I particularly like her first collection I Lost it at the Movies, because of all the 'scratch' reviewing, including transcripts of radio talks, that were written outside the mainstream and might otherwise have been lost. Her God-give-me-strength takedown of Lana Turner in Madame X is a joy.

Ronald Haver's book on the 1983 restoration of A Star is Born, and his magisterial David O. Selznick's Hollywood are vital, as is Donald Spoto's The Art of Alfred Hitchcock, with a chapter dedicated to each of the major films.

I have all of Pauline Kael's books, but I've mostly skimmed.

That book by Sam Staggs' sounds interesting (wish I would have got it while I had the chance). Thanks!

Alfred Hitchcock: A Life In Darkness And Light by Patrick McGilligan
Bogart by A.M. Sperber and Eric Lax
The Emperor And The Wolf: The Lives And Films Of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune
Groucho: The Life And Times Of Julius Henry Marx by Stefan Kanfer
Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies About the Birth of the New Hollywood by Mark Harris