The Good, the Bad and the Ugly : Incredibly overrated

Incredibly overrated

I don't think movies of this genre are my thing, but I still enjoyed For a Few Dollars More (6/10) a bit more than this.

5/10.

Re: Incredibly overrated

You're obviously a retarded hillbilly.

The only poster who had his account banned 4 times without ever breaking any rules each of those times.

Yes, but in Australia we call them bogans.

Also, this movie looks like it could be prime hillbilly material.

For me a Few Dollars More was the weakest in this trilogy, but still a great movie. These movies created a whole genre, so even if you don't love them, to call them overrated is not fair given their importance in film history.

Yes, but that doesn't take into account whether or not they have aged well. Other movies have done it better since. I can't deny that we probably wouldn't have those movies if it weren't for films like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Influential? Sure. But weak by today's standards. Even the standards of the decade immediately after the movie came out.

I don’t like it nearly as much as I used to while my appreciation of For A Few Dollars More has risen so although I’d rate the latter higher I’ll agree with you. TGTBTU has some classic scenes though.

Agreed. I just don't think a 3 hour runtime of mostly nothing of interest happening just to have a handful of great scenes is really all that worth it.

Have you seen High Plains Drifter?

I haven't. It's significantly shorter, but the plot summary on IMDb doesn't really draw me in.

It's one of Clint's best, one of his most underrated, and certainly one off the grittiest, in that Western gunslinger genre.

I'll add it to the watchlist, but not sure if I'll get around to it.

According to Mystery Science Theater 3000 (series 9; "The Touch of Satan" episode), before the late 1970s a lot of movies would have a deliberately slower pace as to allow the viewers to become immersed in what they were watching, as if what was happening on screen was being done in real time.

Perhaps the realism aspect simply doesn't work as well as used to, probably due to how audiences respond to documentaries and the changes going on as they took place. You figure, at the time when the Vietnam War was in full steam (1968 and early 70s, westerners saw, very clearly, the horrors of war.

I am suggesting that people were wanting to find mental excape in the films they were watching afterwords, wishing to take a brief break from life's troubles.

~~/o/

Possibly. But plenty of films from the 70s onwards are very introspective. More so than prior years, I'd argue. They focus a lot on life's troubles.

We had plenty of films coming out that began to centre around the horrors of war. They were in no way shying away from showing it at the time. The Deer Hunter only came out 3 years after the Vietnam War ended. Taxi Driver, only 1 year. It focused on a war veteran not being able to fit into society and eventually going crazy. All while the war was still fresh in everyone's minds.

Those are some very good points you make. It's interesting how war films prior to the 1970s shied away from a gruesome reality in armed conflicts.

~~/o/

There's definitely a shift from patriotic war films to films that condemn or at least focus on the horrors of war. It probably has a lot to do with the peace movement around the Vietnam War. After going through two world wars, and fearing nuclear weapons, the last thing people wanted was another war (aside from politicians).

That said, we're not completely devoid of patriotic war films these days. Even if they make war look terrifying, there's often an element of wanting to support your country or the demonizing of the enemy.

Just recently, 1917 made the Germans out to be total savages, and really elevated the lead character's heroism. Even though he never wanted to be a part of the war (which provides contrast to his friend's more patriotic attitude).

It was a little bloated. Could have used a trim. A Fistful of Dollars is the best but the next two got longer and longer.

I still haven't seen A Fistful of Dollars. Maybe some day, but these movies aren't really my thing.

I don't understand how saying something is overrated is somehow supposed to be a valid criticism. But I guess it's just a shorter way for people to say they don't like the movie as much as other people… so whatever.

True enough. I just don't understand how anyone could consider this one of the greatest movies ever made when it really has no content of interest. What do people like so much about this and movies like it? Other than the soundtrack and the now-cliche dragged-out stand-off scenes. The characters aren't really all that interesting or relatable, and their motivations that drive the plot aren't something I care for, either.

Is it really just "some cool guys (that are actually all just scumbags) in the desert staring at each other and shooting guns"? Because that's all I got from it. It's like a longer version of a disposable modern action movie, with no real point or compelling characters. Maybe people like the setting? That's fine, but I really don't care for endless brown.

I just don't understand how anyone could consider this one of the greatest movies ever made when it really has no content of interest. What do people like so much about this and movies like it?
You said earlier that these kinds of movies aren't your thing. You don't see why people consider The God, The Bad, and the Ugly one of the greatest movies ever because you aren't into spaghetti westerns or westerns in general.

The soundtracks are ok, at least.

I disagree, and would give it a 7.5.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

What did you like about it? I'm curious, and not in a sarcastic way.

To quote myself:

What do people like so much about this and movies like it? Other than the soundtrack and the now-cliche dragged-out stand-off scenes. The characters aren't really all that interesting or relatable, and their motivations that drive the plot aren't something I care for, either.

Is it really just "some cool guys (that are actually all just scumbags) in the desert staring at each other and shooting guns"? Because that's all I got from it. It's like a longer version of a disposable modern action movie, with no real point or compelling characters. Maybe people like the setting? That's fine, but I really don't care for endless brown.

If you need to ask that question, I cannot provide an answer. It would be an exercise in futility. I liked everything about it.

Fair enough, carry on.

Thank you.

Take the “incredibly” off that, and you may have a point. A Pauly Shore movie with a rating is an incredibly overrated film. A seminal Eastwood-starring Western may be a bit dated and a wee smidge too highly rated by the hardcore fans, but “incredibly overrated”? Never..

I'm exaggerating simply because I don't understand it being in the Top 250. But that wouldn't be a first. I'm sure everybody has something to say about that list.