Blues, Jazz & Soul : Mississippi Goddamn

Mississippi Goddamn

My boyfriend talked about it but I actually never listened to it until today.

This song is hilarious and poignant at once.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

Re: Mississippi Goddamn

Your Indian boyfriend introduced that song to you? Why would he do that?

I had no idea about that song either. I am not a fan of Nina although she left me almost speechless after hearing her sing that song. She sounds very upset. I had no idea black entertainers had that much freedom of speech even back then. The lyric about black community attraction to communism because that system puts everyone in the same class with same civil rights.

Meh…I don't think that is the way for us at all. It's just my opinion. They live their life the way they want and I will live here in the good old USA where there is democracy and capitalism even though people keep telling me that I am too crazy…

That last verse was spot on. I laughed at the sarcasm. That's how a lot of black people think though. I'm not that way though and I wish they would let me be. We don't have to have a hive freaking MIND! Goddamn!

The lyric about black community attraction to communism because that system puts everyone in the same class with same civil rights.

Although there were some black communists at the time, the verse is in reference to the black activists and protesters who were being compared to communists and accused of communism for demanding fair treatment and equal rights under the U.S. constitution.

Are You Feeling Hurt Or Triggered By Something I've Said? Call 1-800-BUTT-HURT| To Speak With An Experienced Unsympathetic Counselor Today!

Nah, my black boyfriend in college turned me on to Nina Simone.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

Oh you went that far back. Okay.

This will always be one of my favorites by Nina. It was written in response to the racial upheaval and civil unrest that was sweeping through the Southern states at the time.

She was a rebel, an activist, a pioneer, and an unapologetically black revolutionary before being black and proud was in vogue.

Are You Feeling Hurt Or Triggered By Something I've Said? Call 1-800-BUTT-HURT| To Speak With An Experienced Unsympathetic Counselor Today!