Atticus Finch.

Ditto!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Re: Favourite Gregory Peck role

Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Captain Ahab in Moby Dick (1956)

[center] [hr] [poll restrict] multiple [s][/s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup][/sup] [u][/u]  

Gregory who?

do you live in a cave?

The Omen.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

awful movie, just awful

I find him hard to take under the best of circumstances, even in Mockingbird, which is perhaps why the only performance of his I can think of fondly is in Roman Holiday. All that stiffness and starchiness just starts to unbend and for once he seems actually to be breathing.

Peck was one of the most cerebral actors. He never said a line without a great deal of thought behind it and he didn't mind showing the audience just how much he was considering his next response.

To many that made him seem stiff. I liked his measured introspection in most cases. His performances were always backed by intelligence.

Although no one can adequately measure the full talent an actor by seeing only one performance, Peck's superb work in To Kill A Mockingbird comes closest to refuting that argument.

Could he play it too close to the vest?. Many critics considered him miscast in Moby Dick. However, after seeing a few of the tv remakes of that film, including Patrick Stewart, Peck's depiction of Ahab towers above all.

The perfect Ahab would have been George C. Scott at the height of his career. The man exuded tension in every fiber of his body and could go from calm to volcanic in the blink of an eye.

Peck did not have the full emotional range of a Dustin Hoffman or a Gene Hackman, but what he did within his own limitations was exemplary and why he remains a giant among the stars of the of the 20th Century

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

Well said, and I agree.

It's hard to beat Atticus Finch as a favorite, but two others that I really like are Twelve O'Clock High and Roman Holiday. In a lighter vein I also enjoy him in Designing Woman. He was definitely an actor who believed that less was more.

For sheer fun I’d choose Lewton 'Lewt' McCanles in Duel in the Sun.