Classic Film : Why Are Older Movies Better?

Why Are Older Movies Better?

I did a poll here months ago, 1930-70s vs. 1980s-present, and older movies won. I was surprised because I know the average age in here is probably much younger than anyone born in the 1930s, but an overwhelming majority chose older movies.

Why do YOU think the older movies were better?

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

Re: Why Are Older Movies Better?

Older movies are, in my opinion, superior for many reasons. Without relying on CGI, they relied more on atmosphere, score, script and pure, raw acting chops of the actors and their ability to get into their roles.

Screenplays were tighter, plus they gave the audience a lot more credit and a lot more responsibility, relying on us to figure movies out and not be spoon fed (or force fed) various narratives.

There also weren't so many movies trying to push political and social narratives down our throat or make movies utilizing actors to meet quotas rather than casting whomever is best for the actual job.

They also weren't as loud. Remember that post showing the video of the "millennial loop?" Same thing. Nowadays they rely on dark films, loud noises, jump scares and CGI to "scare" us. There was a lot more creativity completed even with much simpler techniques.

I'm a huge fan of the classic movies, as you know.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

🖤 ½ Chinese-Indonesian ❣️ ¼ Irish French German ♬ ¼ Irish German French Dutch
BlogSpot

I PM'd you earlier asking why you always do this shit.

If you're not going to read anything, don't post.

On IMDb, I reacted to full posts because times were different, and people wouldn't talk to me.

BlogSpot

You never make any sense. Just like your last post.

Again, the thread subject is "Why Are Older Movies Better?"

Vaguely racist post.

Well said. The movies were more original, and the screenplay and acting could hold them together. Nowadays, the movies are just not believable or enjoyable. Very formulaic. I also notice that movies have become franchises. "Well if Part 7 made 70 billion, a Part 8 with Leonardo will bring in more money".

Even the "dinosaurs" in the old movie system actually loved movies, and didn't mind losing money at times if the movie was important. Once "jaws" made a ton of money, studios thought they'd make 10% of the movies, take no chances, and try to make only blockbusters.

The movies back then had HEART. I think talent plays a large role, too. The blacklist didn't help, but despite a threat of prison, you could have directors in the center (Capra) while using left-winged writers and right-winged actors and make it all work.

Nowadays, they'll have a 100 million dollar budget, but no substance. The few movies I've liked were made by guys who are retiring.

Agreed, Mort. This is such an important subject. Thanks so much for your OP.

And please see my post to Lilith below for a few additional thoughts.

Beautifully said, Lilith, and I agree, adding that in general - whatever genre - their narratives carried something meaningful about the human condition, which I find all too absent in films these days.

And, yes, the noise! Oh, the noise. I rarely go to theatres anymore because I can't stand the noise. And I can't stand how films are mixed these days (and I know whereof I speak about this). It's so often all but impossible to hear the dialogue which is overwhelmed by the sound effects and music.

But mainly, for me, it's the stories. In general, they aren't as meaningful and as well written as they were before about 1980 (and way before that in so many cases).

It happens all the time in movie theatres but even at home, watching movies. I have to turn the volume up just to hear the dialogue, but with no warning, suddenly some random foley or music will BLAST and ALL of that will be extremely loud, all the while you still cannot hear the conversation taking place.

At the theatre you don't have the option of turning the volume up and down, but at home, I don't want to have to do that either. To me it's a cheap trick, a ploy, to get people to be quiet to hear the conversations, so that they can claim "horror" or actually "startle" by blasting excessively loud noises and music. There's no need to do that, either. The music doesn't have to shatter our ear drums to be effective.

I'd always bring cotton buds with me to the theatre and rip bits of cotton apart and stuff it in my ears. Again, I should not have to do that to watch a movie. That doesn't make me feel "more immersed" just by having loud noises blasted at me.

Another thing is, believe it or not,…I am not a fan of large screens.

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

👋👋👋

Well…

BlogSpot

They aren't. Older movies suck. What a stupid post.

What Lilith said!

The last 10 years have been a bit of a desert.

Older movies have a more pronounced human element to them. The stories, themes, and characters tend to be a lot better thought out and realized in older films. Moreover, the use of practical effects are usually more convincing in older films because there's a tangible component to them that sells them as more real, for want of a better way of putting it.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

Agreed! 🙂

I just had a conversation with someone (who is politically correct) and he said "They could NEVER make Blazing Saddle today" (and another 50,000 movies much better), so we're missing out on a lot of possibilities. We should have the best movies NOW. Anyone can upload a movie onto YouTube. People don't need millions of dollars - some make them off a cheap camera.

Maybe the people have been sheeped so far there aren't any artists. Maybe the talent was much better. It's really sad, because I think the music industry is worse.

I can't believe "movie franchise" is a term used openly. Months ago, I asked people for their favorite movies of all-time. An overwhelming majority were from the 1930-70s. Its pretty fucked up that movies made before our births speak closer to us than shit being made right now.

Add identity politics. "Ooooh, a gay character. Let me go on 'social media' and start a campaign to make sure every gay person goes and sees Brokeback Mountain'". There's more attention to everything EXCEPT the movies (oscarsowhite, etc etc). There's too much to even remember. The writer isn't respected. They take a brand name and try to reproduce, change a few things, and if you make money, you are considered a good director (instead of a good businessman like spielberg)

And no one is writing great books as Steinbeck, Hemingway, etc. to adapt from.

Great storylines

Because too many movies are made today, it’s hard for them to stand out. Older movies became Classics because they did something new and stood out.

There were always a ton of movies made. Up until "Jaws" (1975), studios made a TON of movies, they took chances, until they thought, "Let's just make blockbusters and make just a few movies from the studio" - to also avoid financial investments/risks.

More movies were made before “Jaws” than are made today?

1930-70s has a TON of great movies.. You can't say that about the last 40 years. And I'm not just talking Hollywood - I'm talking movies from all over the world.

Ohh lord, moving goalposts

It's just the westerns
that were way better. Not every damn genre.

The perks are worth the extra 5 bucks, boss.

Some are. Some are not.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

In general, I think you and most movie fans would agree 1930-70s is MUCH better than 80s-present.

Yes, in general.

MOSTLY PERSONA ATTACHMENT…YOU FIND THAT GROOVE AND SINK IN..THE WORLD MOVES FORWARD AND YOU JUST CANT HUSTLE TO THE NEW JAMS THE SAME WAY.☠

“I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions.”

(http://talk2020.proboards.com/thread/11/why-people-more-certain-ways)

Why do some people get more than others in certain ways?

Like, why is it okay to take social media for granted, while those who don't take social media for granted get socially hurt for enjoying it, anyway? Like, no one ever talks to me, I mean, but it doesn't seem like it's just me. I'm guessing people who are mixed or from a more Southern ancestry and have dark hair are trying to get popular online, while white people are slow to react to the presence, availability, pertinence/importance etc. of social media; the white people are on top. How could something like this affect social media, though?

BlogSpot

Older movies aren't better.

I would say it really depends on the movie and some older movies are better and some newer movies are better. I can't really say that it's a majority of one against the other.

For example, Parasite came out last year, and it's one of the top 5 best movies I've ever seen and it's new. And I recently saw Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, from the 70s and it's one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

Isn't it all relative?

I think if sticking with the original time frame you give of 1930-70s vs. 1980s-present, it's harder to chose the old over the new because the new includes the 90's, which was a golden age and arguably the greatest decade for film (maybe) however if post 2000 the choice would be much easier as the first 20 years of the 21st century has been lacking massively in quality compared too the 20th century, however we must keep in mind that if we are thinking anything pre 2000 is "old" then old movies are of course going to be better because there is 100 years worth of content to find greatness in vs 20.

I think when the turn of the Millennium came movies really took a dive and haven't been up to the quality of arguably any 20 year period of the 20th century here's 26 reasons why -

Not to say there hasn't been great films in the last 20 years, there has been but overall it's been a big step down maybe so much has been done already so it's easier to fall into cliche now than it was before, a big issue for me is lack of great directors if you look at the directors coming up in the 70's in USA (Spielberg, Scorsese, De Palma, Coppola, Lucas) cinema still hasn't moved on enough from them.

The franchise started by Lucas has remained one of the biggest all throughout the 21st century, Spielberg and Scorsese are still two of the biggest directors working today no young talent to come up and replace them who is as impactful as they were, cinema is still in the blockbuster oriented phase started by Jaws and Star Wars, there still hasn't been a movie since then as critically acclaimed as the godfather, in short we are still feeling the reverberation from that period and the following decades haven't went off and did there own thing enough, still in the shadow of prior decades too much, There is too much trying to replicate what came before instead of going off and trying something totally new and different.

Back when old movies were coming out there was still more "firsts" to be done (first sound movies, first colour movies, first movies too mess with narrative structure e.g movie is told backwards, introduction of sex and violence in film etc.) so this kept it fresh also these "firsts" would be introduced far enough apart that it would revitalise the film industry each time and keep it from getting stale, problem is the more "firsts" you do the less remains that hasn't been done before.

Kubrick kept saying to Spielberg he wanted to "change the form" meaning of cinema, narrative and how it's delivered so if he had of lived it would have been interesting to see exactly what he meant and if he would have done it or not.

I did a poll here months ago, 1930-70s vs. 1980s-present, and older movies won.

Oh so I guess it is fact then? Because like 4 people chose old and 2 chose new, old movies are just better yeah this is toats legit.

old movies are not better or worse, they are just movies. Being better or worse is down to the person, not the majority vote.

Perhaps a better way of framing the question might be why are old movies more popular? because when you think about it all the movies that are referenced in pop culture most tend to be from the 20th century, that was 20 years ago now at it's most recent.

When I see people's favourite movies of all time lists they tend to mostly be films from 20 years ago or older, there is exceptions sure but the 70's, 80's and 90's tend to get more love than anything post 2000 on average. Dark Knight being the most common post 2000 film on people's lists. That doesn't mean older films are objectively better but it does mean people like them more.