The Soapbox : RIP Filmboards

RIP Filmboards

2017-2019

Re: RIP Filmboards

Lame.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

It is a rather unfortunate circumstance, is it not?

I think the first time I saw this meme it was on IMDb in 2006, Soapbox RIP.

I GameBoy - H. superior

That's silly. IMDb's Soapbox? Dying in '06?

Yeah, that's my point. They were saying the Soapbox was dead in 2006. This place is only two years old. I imagine even the Holy Grail IMDb wasn't hopping two years after it was started.

I GameBoy - H. superior

I can't speak for what people were saying about another board nearly 15 years ago, but IMDb cultivated its userbase from scratch, and had enough going for it that a couple years in they were confident in launching a monthly paid feature. That was separate from the message boards, yes, but no doubt helped funnel the masses into them and speaks to the scope of their offerings. It's not hard to see why IMDb was big.

This is not IMDb, nor is a board with little to no discernible growth in 1.5-2 years projected to do great (or even good) things when all it's ever aspired to is catching a few lost Soapboxers wishing to recreate their IMDb experience.

It served a noble purpose, and then it died.

This is still the only site which has a comprehensive database of film discussion for every movie + which IMDb covered. I have actually seen tremendous growth on this site in two years. A very recent lull in posting doesn't counter any of that. Again, two years into any start-up, you can't make such a claim. You have an agenda, buddy.

Hmmmm. Your account is a little over a month old. So unless you're a brand new user and not hiding behind a sock because you're ashamed to let others know your identity, you're really not in a position to make such a call. It's more likely that you've been here for some time and have an agenda which your main account would reveal.

I GameBoy - H. superior

Did you intend this reply for me? I'm quite sure my last post covered everything here in detail.

This site copied IMDb's formula to a T and drew in a small percentage of Soapboxers + the oddball general poster, which was a pre-existing userbase already looking for an alternative. No one new is being brought over. IMDb innovated, advertised, and drove its own growth from several different avenues and was an unparalleled housing of all information related to film, celebrities, bodies of work, etc. Read the wiki or something. I don't need to explain the differences here. The only similarity between this and IMDb besides FB slightly tweaking their outdated message board appearance is both have some nod to cinema in their title. This can have as many boards for as many movies and shows as it wants, all with no discussions to their name, and that fact will remain.

Piggybacking off IMDb through the app doesn't look to be bringing people in either. tl;dr, looping back and referencing another site that once did well for itself and applying that to filmboards for no more reason than IMDb showed a strong model can be successful means nothing for f|b currently. This site isn't any better off than the other off-shoots, in truth. And that's okay. It's not a criticism but an observation.

For the record, I don't think telling me I have an agenda accomplishes what you think it does. I'm flattered you looked to my join date for something to latch onto, however.

You miss the point of this site. We are not a database for film themselves. IMDb has that covered. We are solely devoted to message board discussion of film. We use IMDb as a reference point.

The idea for this site was a great one because it filled a void left when IMDb eliminated its message boards. This is commonplace in marketing. One source closed its doors and filmboards took advantage of that.

Of course our base is posters who used IMDb. Yes, we initially targeted that audience. New posters discover us all the time. Again, two years into this site's creation you cannot make such an assertion based on a temporary lull in activity. You know my agenda. I'm the Admin. But you hide your identity because your agenda must be obvious if you reveal yourself.

Were you sanctioned by this site for sexual harassment? Doxxing? Coming out from behind your sock will allow us to better understand your motive. Like I said, there is an agenda here on both our parts. You're obviously not an unbiased commentator. Why are you afraid to be honest?

I GameBoy - H. superior

I've not missed nor addressed the goal of the dead board, only the state of it. I was replying to your decision to contrast it with the massively successful IMDb, which saw substantial growth even two years into the launch of its forums. It's a silly comparison, but one you made.

Tapping into an existing market is a fine idea, and if filmboards has done what it set out to more power to the admin. There are dead boards littering the internet, there's no shame in being among them. It's not a temporary lull, it is the filmboards experience. What do you consider to be the site's prime? When were numbers greater and what were they? Two years in is a decent enough gauge of a message board's potential, unless something drastically changes.

Who is we? Am I speaking to the brains behind the operation? Who are the new posters discovering filmboards all the time? Can you point them out to me?

Why is my identity important to you? And how do you feel an agenda affects what I'm saying? I'm here for civil discourse but it would seem you'd rather skip the discussion and get right to dismissal. That's no conduct for a dead board, my friend.

You're speaking to the Admin. If you wish to speak to Nimda than you can do so. But again, you're on a one month old sock hiding your better known identity here. You know who I am. Excuse us if we have trouble with some motive you have to purposely frame this forum in a negative light. And you're also posting here, which shows you yourself have established a need for this site.

I've addressed your points. This site has continuously grown for two years. It was much less active when I started posting here two years ago. And it was much more active a week ago than it is now. It's a lull.

IMDb was relatively unknown two years after its creation in 1990. Most business do not become enormous enterprises in two years. You have an agenda and you're hiding it. All my cards are on the table. Again, why the malice? Did we censure you for doxxing? Sexual harassment? Why the reluctance to come out from behind a sock?

The plan here is a great one. We stand behind it 100%.

I GameBoy - H. superior

Oh Gameboy, really, my dear boy? You are aware that your intelligence levels are somewhere between the Bongo and MMC2 levels?

Oh goodness gracious my child, you are of incredibly low intellect as are 98% of the population of this humble abode.

Lord President of the Council, Leader of the House, Chairman of the ERG, MP for North East Somerset and I sit next to Boris at Parliament

Troll harder.

I GameBoy - H. superior

This one isn't exactly spreading Good Cheer.
Having been here nearly a year, I'm proud to be here! I'm no sock!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Typical coward with an agenda. I just checked and he's posted here quite frequently in the past month and a half. Seems a bit masochistic to spend so much time on a board which he dislikes so much. Lol. I wonder if he cuts himself as well? Nah, he's hiding behind the sock for a reason. That's why he's afraid to post on his main, which I'm quite sure is very active as well. 🙂

I GameBoy - H. superior

This one apparently feels like stirring some shit. Many here tend to "shit where they eat". I confess that I have complained about certain things around here too.
Sock accounts was one of them. I'm a lowly poster here. I have resigned myself to the fact that complaining does no good. Accept and go on or get out.
I'm not ready to hold a funeral.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Yes, exactly, a few of these guys post here every day yet moan it's so ghastly. Lol. What sad lives they must lead. I agree with you and I'm on record that we should dump the 15 second socks. It will get better. It's a process.

I GameBoy - H. superior

👍 Works for me!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Seems a bit masochistic to spend so much time on a board which he dislikes so much.

Might want to amend that. Where did I say I liked or disliked anything? I just said it was dead.

Don't let your aggravation best you, Caveman.

Who is us? Far as I can tell there's one person worried about my agenda, and in shifting the discussion to who I am. Focus, Caveman.

If what I'm looking at right now is the fruits of two years worth of hard work, my case is rested. Is this a lull, or is this par for the course? Was there a mass exodus I just missed?

Of course an obscure site launching in 1990 probably took a hot minute to get rolling. It's not 1990 anymore, and not only is Filmboards not faced with the same dilemma IMDb was (building a base from scratch), but F|B practically got a free advertising push in 2017 when IMDb's forums closed shop, spawning countless articles musing what everyone seeking a message board fix was going to do now (they're still around, google it). These were things working in favor of F|B, and something IMDb didn't have the luxury of. Since F|B is drawing from that same pool of users, I would wager this board's peak was a very long time ago. It's either exactly where it's always been, or has had a noticable and steady dip in posters over the last few months (year?).

The only malice is coming from you, in suggesting I may be a doxxer or sexual harasser (while you make inappropriate, unsolicited sexual comments in other threads) because I said your board was dead.

I hope I've helped you and whomever you're speaking on behalf of see your error, and I'm sorry about your board.

Let me know if I can help you work your way through anything else.

No, you may be a doxxer or a sexual harasser because you're posting on a sock and hiding your agenda. See the reason for my suspicion now? And no, there's no my malice on my part. I'm the Admin and its my job to address user's concerns, even if they're such obvious attempts at trolling as this one.

You've also posted quite frequently on this sock for the past month and a half, and probably more on your main account. So if it's only "my board", why do you post here so frequently? Lol. Is that why you're bitter? Did we censure you in a way which bothered you? Are you PE? Pop Actor? Steve Lake? Wow, who might you be? Lol.

A mass exodus? Lol. You mean of 5 posters on their main, most of whom still post on obvious socks? But I'm guessing this "mass exodus" to G's quiet private board is really what this is all about. I was invited too by the way. But I just hope your collar isn't on too tight.

Act like a man, not some cuck on a lady's leash. Lol. You post here. You obviously like it here. Why not grow some balls and tell us your main?

I GameBoy - H. superior

I'd say if your gut reaction any time you see one of these new users you're raving about is that they're a doxxer and sexual harasser I needn't say more about the state of filmboards.

Continue posting your own sexually harassing remarks while scrutinizing someone you can merely speculate about. It's doing wonders for your argument.

But yes, I love dead boards. They're like my own personal blog. Everything has a purpose, my good man. The carcass feeds the vultures.

Dude, I won this argument long ago when you decided to remain hidden on a sock. So afraid to post on your main? Why, so you can continue to post here and not be called a hypocrite?

So you're a new user? And you've posted here so frequently in the past month and a half and have such a well defined opinion of this place? You weren't protesting two days ago when you posted here with abandon. Lol.

You're a coward with an agenda.

I GameBoy - H. superior

Careful, Platonic_Caveman. Your frantic need to declare victory signals your frustration. Save the ad hominems, bud. Someone might begin to think you're angry.

To old friends and dead message boards,

Just doing my job, bro. The only one who seems frustrated here is you because your thread didn't go as you had hoped. Lol.

If you want to PM me your true identity, feel free. If you're embarrassed I won't out you.

I GameBoy - H. superior

You've got quite the stake in knowing who it is that sent you into such a tizzy. I'm happy to see you've calmed yourself since the post above.

Cheers,

I mopped the floor with you buddy and you know it.

I GameBoy - H. superior

You don't seem confident in that, else you'd not be trying so hard to convince me (or yourself?). The victor needn't tell his opponent and spectators he won; they can see for themselves. Which is why I'm not.

Lilith is going to save filmboards. I can feel it. I believe in her. She will end all feuds. She will be filmboards "breaker of chains".

She just needs the right people to encourage her.

Are you trolling, or are the lights just not on upstairs?

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

lol

I GameBoy - H. superior

I'm very serious right now. Although for argument's sake, how exactly would supporting a peacemaker be trolling?

Lol…do you guys think before reacting? How exactly would asking nimda to dedicate a theme for Lilith a bad thing? How is asking Lilith to be peacemaker, a bad thing?

I thought you despised her.

Who cares? Do you ever consider the BIGGER PICTURE, Nettie? The greater good?

You're such a stupid old woman. You are Nettie, right? Your attitude is just like her and your writing.

Yes, it's me. !

Confucius

Why did try to hide from me?

Canon to the left of them!
Canon to the right of them!

The correct spelling of that word is cannon.

A canon is "a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council."

BTW, I memorized The Charge of the Light Brigade in high school. We could pick any poem from the book which we wanted to memorize. Most of the students, of course, picked short poems. I picked this very long poem as a personal challenge. My late Mother (rest her soul) helped me memorize it.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

Did you kill this place?

Confucius

If I did it was by not being here.

Now that you're here are you going to resuscitate it?

Confucius

Are you asking me to perform mouth to mouth on a rotting corpse? Have a little dignity.

Confucius

I'll believe that only when it happens.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

http://movie-dude.co.uk/Guy%20Standeven.htm

How will you know when it happens?

Simple. This place won't be here anymore.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

http://movie-dude.co.uk/Guy%20Standeven.htm

Why not? Are we ascribing a board's vitality to its existence rather than its userbase? Filmboards itself will remain, until it's shoveled out of the street like roadkill.