Classic Film : North by Northwest (1959)

North by Northwest (1959)

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

Re: North by Northwest (1959)

Hitchcock gets his appearance out of the way pretty quick in this one. A good bit of humour at the end of one of my favourite title sequences…

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't! 😸

An absolute CLASSIC, and my favorite Hitch film!

"When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark." ~ Alice in Wonderland

My favorite scene is when Cary Grant throws that book of matches with the note in it down into the living room. Talk about suspense!

I also love the auction scene and how Cary manages to get out of there.
While I'm mentioning the auction, didn't you love Eva Marie's dress? She was stunning in that!

There are many great moments in this film. Those are a couple of my favorites besides the biggies whenever we think of this movie.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

For some odd reason, one that stands out to me is the shooting in the restaurant when the little boy covers his ears ahead of time before the gun is fired! lol

Funny what stick in the memory.

I also really enjoy James Mason. He plays a heavy very well.

And yes, absolutely Eva Marie Saint was stunning. I almost got a bit of a Grace Kelly vibe from her in this.

That shooting scene, the crop duster, and of course, the Mount Rushmore scene are all classic, and those scenes are the first things they think about when the think of this movie.

James Mason. I often say that I could sit and listen to him read names and numbers from a telephone book, and I'd love it! He was such a wonderful actor.

Yes. Eva Marie Saint did give off that Grace Kelly vibe. Especially in that dress!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Not my favorite Hitchcock film, not sure why. But I really enjoy Eva Marie Saint in it. And the sequence on Mount Rushmore. Maybe it was getting to that point when Grant was showing his age a bit when it came to working with younger actresses. Or maybe it's that I didn't like the script that much. I've never been able to figure it out, to my dismay.

Maybe it's one of what I often refer to as Marmite things.

People either love it, or they hate it.

I think it has a different 'vibe' to his usual movies, but that is not a condemnation. It's very entertaining.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what is a "Marmite" thing? 🙄

Oh, and while I'm at it, just wanted to add this bit of interesting trivia. Two cast members, Eva Marie Saint and Martin Landau, both studied together in the early days of the Actors Studio. Martin later was the head of the Actors Studio West in Hollywood.

Spread on toast. Super salty, and quite an acquired taste. Generally, people either really love it, or really hate it, but few people feel ambivalent about it.

Oh, I see. Thanks.🙂

About NBN, oddly, I am rather ambivalent about it. I like some things, but don't like others. Not my favorite Hitchcock, suffice it to say.

I love Marmite.

lol

Me too. On toast.

ORLY? Most people I meet think it's Satan.

🤘

I didn't like it either. It was completely far fetched. I also didn't care for Grant's character either. He was not likeable so I just didn't connect with him at all. Even the villain was ridiculous. But, I can see the style of the movie set a standard other directors emulated.

👍

One of Hitchcock's best movies

I thought the plot was completely absurd. But I can see how that movie set a standard.

I have this recorded, but I never liked Cary Grant, and I've only seen one of his movies that I thought was Hitchcock, but it wasn't.. I didn't like "Charade"

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

I have never met anyone before who didn't like Cary Grant. Wow!

I've, I mean, and well, I just,….huh…

I love Capra, but I had to turn off that movie within 15 minutes.

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List

I'm a big fan of this movie, not only because it's Hitchcock but *swoon* because of Cary Grant.

Watched this last week? Was it the one with the BIG. Heads of the presidents? Whatever the f it’s called 🤔 I can’t tho I if it right now!

Hello

Fantastic and thrilling Hitchcock movie!

My 3 favorites are this one, Rear Window, and Saboteur.

I really enjoyed North by Northwest and Rear Window. I'm not familiar with Saboteur though. I don't think I've heard of that before. I quite like Hitchcock's style and direction even though I heard he rather tormented his female stars to get the most out of them.