Musicals : Not here, just want to say something about Cats real quick

Not here, just want to say something about Cats real quick

Who thought it was a good idea to CGI the actors as, ahem, "cats" - but maintain their human eyes and nose?

Jennifer Hudson is CGI'd as a cat yet she has an African American nose and brown human eyes. WHAT?

If you're going to use CGI, which isn't necessary for a musical to begin with, make them fully cats. Don't make them cat-human hybrids out of David Cronenberg movie. They look like an alien species, they don't look like cats.

The CGI of Rebel Wilson dancing as a fat cat is utterly ridiculous.

Why are Jennifer Hudson and Judi Dench wearing fur coats? The point of them wearing fur coats in the play is to mimic CAT FUR. If they're already have CGI'd fur, they don't need the fur coats.

Taylor Swift lying is a seductively, sexually-suggestive pose as a cat creature is disturbing. If these were fictitious species, that's ok - but considering these are supposed to be cats, they're literally sexualizing cats here.

A much better alternative to this would be to computer animate its entirety like a Pixar film, a la Toy Story, and have them be animated cats with voice actors. That wouldn't the most ideal alternative, but much better than this. But eh, what do I know.

I would have preferred it that they were human, with the cat element very subtle: like the play, just have them wear (faux) fur coats, flamboyantly colored wigs, and stripped suits. Feline-realism isn't something you necessarily want here.

Re: Not here, just want to say something about Cats real quick

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE, JOHNNY AUSTISMO!

Fuck off

Welcome back.

YOU SAID WHAT YOU WANTED TO SAY, NOW LEAVE AND NEVER COME BACK!

It honestly looks horrible. Only people benefiting from this movie are the Furries.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

It looks like they took a pic with a cat Snapchat filter.

Watchers at the bar said the same thing in a YouTube reaction video.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

I prefer the idea of real humans playing the characters. Sorry, I'm not interested in watching another big budget animated cartoon like Avatar which I believe stunk to the high heavens. So kudos that the characters are not so CGI altered that it obscures the ability of real actors to act.

However, why don't any of these cats have genitals? They're only in their natural fur coats. They're not wearing clothes except a couple as you noted. Where are their genitals? Why don't we see a shot from behind of one of the male cats with his tail up and his balls and his asshole mooning the camera?

Administrator
"filmboards is a bold experiment in free speech and anarchy"
I GameBoy

I prefer the idea of real humans playing the characters. Sorry, I'm not interested in watching another big budget animated cartoon like Avatar which I believe stunk to the high heavens.

I wouldn't prefer that either, I'm saying that'd be a better alternative than this. If they're going for real cats here, then at least make them actual cats, not these human-cat hybrids. The whole point of using computer generated imagery in film is to make something look like the creature it's supposed to be: so if they're supposed to be cats, them make them look like cats who walk on four legs and have green eyes with vertical pupils. In the film, it looks like The Fly, except if a cat snuck into the chamber instead of a fly.

But even that they shouldn't do. In the play, they were never going for a realistic cat look. It's not that the practical effects are outdated, it's that…they were intended to look like people in flamboyant cat drag. The ideal scenario here is to use people in silly, theatrical cat-like costumes. We can use our imagination for the rest. We don't need computer-generated fur.

Using expensive CGI for this was a huge mistake on all counts, because not only is it creepy, the demographic audience who appreciates state-of-the-art creature CGI won't go see a musical, and the demographic who appreciates musicals, won't care about CGI. It's counter-productive unto itself.

I'm wondering if it's possible to CGI an actor into a real four-legged cat without it being too creepy for mainstream audiences.

Administrator
I GameBoy

If they went that route, then…you'd just have actors voice them. A la The Lion King.

Why can't they CGI morph a human into a four-legged cat? It's technically possible. Again, if you just have actors voice them it's a cartoon. The Broadway musical was not a cartoon. Part of the success of the musical onstage was the costuming.

Administrator
I GameBoy

Lol this was a funny post. Why can't you make more like these instead of your infamous body policing bullshit thread topics?

Well yeah, ya are, bozo. You weren't gone long.

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼