Politics : America haters

America haters

Why do you hate America ?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: America haters

They hate us, cause they ain't us! It's pure jealousy. That's why millions come here every year. They don't flood into any of the other countries in the world, just here!

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

They hate us, cause they ain't us!

That's why millions come here every year.

So they "come here every year" because "they hate us"? In all due respect, that makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

In the case of the 9/11 hijackers, you'd have a point, but most immigrants - legal and illegal - are not coming here to fly airplanes into our buildings or to wreak havoc on our communities. Most are coming here for the opportunity, material wealth and social freedom - and in some cases, the political asylum - that America allegedly offers them. The ones coming from Muslim countries are often coming here to escape political persecution and terrorism and to build a new life for themselves. I think they often have a naive idea of what life in America is going to be like and once they get here they realize it's not what they expected.

BTW, I want stricter immigration laws and I'm completely opposed to illegal immigration and I wish most of these people would just stay in their own countries (and some of them are just not going to assimilate) but I don't believe that they're coming here because 'they hate us'. Quite the contrary.

Better yet, I'm opposed to the unnecessary and seemingly endless wars that have exacerbated the refugee crisis. Tens of thousands of Middle Eastern and North African refugees are flooding into Europe now, fleeing wars and military conflicts that were started by the United States and its allies in countries like Iraq, Syria, Libya and Yemen. That's just one more reason why a war with Iran would be absolutely devastating for the region - it would create thousands, perhaps millions, of more refugees. If you support such a war, are you willing to take in the refugees that will be created by it?

No, we need to pull out of most of these wars. But you see, conflict breeds economic wealth and like it or not, it creates bridges. Look how united our country became after 9/11. What you have to acknowledge is that it also unites the opposition to make them even stronger. Growth is always painful, and if we were to reach a world state of peace and love for everyone, right or wrong, we end up in a zombieland.

I'm fine for immigration, but as you stated, I am very against illegal immigration. My family came here, but did so legally.

My other problem is when "all these people" come flooding into our country, OR aligning themselves with "all these people" who come flooding into our country, and then tell us how screwed up and horrible we are and try to change us and turn us into something America never was.

Would you go to someone else's house and start rearranging their furniture and digging through their finances to tell them they're spending money they earned in a way that's incongruent with what YOU think they should be doing?

Look how united our country became after 9/11

And look at how quickly that unity fell apart. Only weeks after 9/11, Americans were at each other's throats again and the partisan divide started up again.

if we were to reach a world state of peace and love for everyone, right or wrong, we end up in a zombieland.

Well, world peace and "zombieland" is preferable to more dead children and bombed out cities but I agree that humanity will never achieve total world peace. War is only justifiable imo if one's nation is directly attacked or faces imminent attack by another nation. In all other cases, it's bullshit. Wars are generally fought for profit, to enrich arms manufacturers and the military industrial complex, and for bigger nations to achieve hegemony over weaker nations. Perpetual war seems to be America's foreign policy nowadays - notice that there's always a "bad guy", a boogeyman, somewhere in the world that America "needs" to go to war with. It never ends and it should end esp. if one considers that America supports over 50% of the world's dictators and tyrants - they're "good guys" when they're our friends and business partners but they suddenly become "bad guys" deserving of regime change when they fall afoul of our political wishes and business interests.

My other problem is when "all these people" come flooding into our country, OR aligning themselves with "all these people" who come flooding into our country, and then tell us how screwed up and horrible we are and try to change us and turn us into something America never was.

That's the problem with multicultural societies in general. The more "diversity" we bring into America, the less this country will resemble the America we grew up in. I don't see how that change can be stopped at this point. A border wall, for instance, is just symbolic - it's not going to undo all the damage that's already been done to this country due to unchecked immigration over the last four or five decades.

What are you talking about? They're one of my favorite bands.

Define what you mean by America. The land? The people? The government? Can I hate the latter and still love/like the former?

I don't hate an entire country

Anyone between me and that stone dies