Philosophy : Does Filmboards make you crazy?

Does Filmboards make you crazy?

Do you think message boards has a sort of corrupting influence on the human mind?

They say that information and thoughts can be thought of like junk food in that too much meaningless information is bad for you. Perhaps the same applies to too much meaningless internation, e.g. posting on a message board. Perhaps because the nature of the relationships here are less…. Human, it reaches people to behave in inhuman fashions towards others.

I must confess, I don't think message boards are good for you when they become the premier social medium in a person's life the way they are for some people here. I believe this causes some people here to lose their minds Even more.

Good talk.

Re: Does Filmboards make you crazy?

Why, no……..why do you ask?

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Slava Ukraini

Yes, but the internet more broadly. Message boards might be a more concentrated dose. I think a license should be required to upload data to the internet.

Nah babba nah!

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Slava Ukraini

No

Well, this is a tomb. I'll make them feel at home

Well said Lara, and I agree!

No more than I was already. 😁

too much meaningless information is bad for you.
There's no such thing as a meaningless anything. If it exists it holds meaning, there are no exceptions, nothing is ever of no consequence.

'(sigh) We humans are stupid egotistical self-deluded beings'

I was high when I wrote this.

The colloquial use of "meaningless" is used to describe something of little relative value. Perhaps what is (not literally) meaningless to me may be of significance to you.

To me, knowing who is accusing some meaningless celebrity of groping them 40 years ago at some meaningless high school party is probably not particularly significant in terms of how it may impact my life. Inundating yourself with celebrity gossip may be important to some people, e.g. the homosexual Ryan so that he can chat with his gay and female clientele at the hair salon, but it's meaningless to me, so to speak.

Correct use of language is contextual. This is why old English is "old* and not just "English."

Good talk.

"Value" and "importance" never exist outside the imagination.

Nothing is meaningless/insignificant to you or to me, that is an inescapable fact. That a specific something (e.g. a celebrity groping someone 40 years ago at a party) holds no relevance to your life is irrelevant.

Correct use of language is contextual.
True but certain things are simply true regardless of context and this is one of them: "Meaningless/inconsequential" is an impossible quality.

Just googled "Meaningless." I'm afraid it is defined as "having no meaning or significance." This is meaningful in the context of our exchange because it proves my response right beyond any doubt.

What is "significance"? By definition: the quality of being worthy of attention. Since "worthiness" is a subjective quality, I am able to deem a great many things meaningless.

Good talk.

Nothing is ever "worthy" of anything, that is myth. Everything in the universe has significance (meaning it signifies something meaning it holds clues for an observer to notice i.e. pay attention to), that is an objective fact.

Sidenote: Definitions are just definitions, languages have words and we humans try to keep up with cataloguing what the words mean to us ("sun" means "a star orbited by a planet or planets") by writing it down in books called dictionaries. Don't mistake dictionaries for reality.

"Definitions are just definitions"? Yes, true, and the definition of the word "meaningless" proves I used the word correctly. We're done here, Mr. Shade.

Good talk.

(sigh) From wikipedia:
Significance can refer to:
The meaning of something
In semiotics, the meaning assigned to a sign
Importance

From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition:
significance
The state or quality of being significant: synonym: importance.

A meaning that is expressed or implied.

That which, is signified; purport; covert sense; real or implied meaning; that which may be inferred in regard to any state of things from any circumstance: as, the significance of a metaphor, of a chance remark, of a look, of behavior.

From Merriam-Webster:
Significance definition is - something that is conveyed as a meaning often obscurely or indirectly.

Do you see? Dictionaries are written by people. Definitions are our attempt to nail down what words (what we communicate with) communicate.

"Meaningless" does not exist outside the imagination since everything in the universe holds meaning i.e. significance i.e. everything holds clues to someone who can pay attention.

How can you say the word "does not exist" when you're arguing that it impossible that anything that exists be void of meaning?

If the word can't actually ever he applied, wouldn't its existence be Meaningless as per the definition?!

Take a step back for a moment. Look at what the poster below us said about this conversation. This conversation is proof that my original reply is correct, i.e. this conversation is meaningless!!!

Good talk.

How can you say the word "does not exist"
I didn't.

If the word can't actually ever he applied, wouldn't its existence be Meaningless as per the definition?!
No, it would not. The word hippogriff means something, that hippogriffs are fictitious (i.e. they do not exist except in the imagination) does not change that.

Take a step back for a moment. Look at what the poster below us said about this conversation. This conversation is proof that my original reply is correct, i.e. this conversation is meaningless!!!
No.

You stated "meaningless does not exist" in the last paragraph of your previous post.

Plenty of things are insignificant to me, Shade. That is to say they're meaningless, much like this conversation.

What is the prize? What does it mean to be right here? Yes, dictionaries support my argument. Yes, everyone else here agrees with me. These things mean nothing to me.

This is a trite conversation; it is meaningless. Concede, not that it would mean much if you do or do not.

Good talk.

You stated "meaningless does not exist" in the last paragraph of your previous post.
"Meaningless" does not exist. The word exists, just like the word "hippogriff" exists but hippogriffs do not. If you want to feign stupidity, that's your choice.
What you are doing is called using a strawman argument, it's where you pretend my argument is something other than what it is and argue against that.

Plenty of things are insignificant to me, Shade.
I understand what you wish to communicate to me when you say that but no, that is not how the universe works. The clues don't cease to be clues because the detective can choose to not look at them and say "They hold no meaning to me."

That is to say they're meaningless, much like this conversation.
No.

What is the prize? What does it mean to be right here?
(sigh) I am just passing the time until my death mansplaining-educating you in these matters because… it passes the time.

Yes, dictionaries support my argument.
No, you simply claimed a definition (without even giving an exact source), I quotes multiple definitions (with sources), none of them were like yours. I quoted them to make a simple point: We communicate with words, we try to list what we communicate with words, we try to keep our language structured but this does not make the lists of reality.
If the dictionaries of ancient Greece listed Zeus as "the real existing King of the Gods, lives on Mount Olympus" that would be not incorrectly listing what people wanted to communicate when they said "Zeus" but Zeus wasn't real then and then the dictionary was changed to read "the fictional King of the Gods, lives on Mount Olympus" and poof, he went from real to fictional.
We write the dictionaries, reality doesn't write them, they are not cosmic truth in book form. That's what I mean by "Definitions are just definitions". They are attempts at describing words.

This is a trite conversation; it is meaningless.
No, no conversation is ever meaningless. We are two organisms communicating, which is the sharing of meaning, about concepts, which are also about meaning.

"How are we talking about concepts?" you may wonder.

"Hippogriff" is not real, meaning the concept of hippogriff is real and the word "hippogriff" is real but it itself is not, it is imaginary.
"Meaningless" is not real, meaning the concept of it is real and the word is real but it itself is not, it is imaginary.

These are just undeniable facts. It's not my fault that they are.

"Meaningless" does not exist. The word exists, just like the word "hippogriff" exists but hippogriffs do not. If you want to feign stupidity, that's your choice.
What you are doing is called using a strawman argument, it's where you pretend my argument is something other than what it is and argue against that.

Plenty of things are insignificant to me, Shade.
I understand what you wish to communicate to me when you say that but no, that is not how the universe works. The clues don't cease to be clues because the detective can choose to not look at them and say "They hold no meaning to me."

That is to say they're meaningless, much like this conversation.
No.

What is the prize? What does it mean to be right here?
(sigh) I am just passing the time until my death mansplaining-educating you in these matters because… it passes the time.

Yes, dictionaries support my argument.
No, you simply claimed a definition (without even giving an exact source), I quotes multiple definitions (with sources), none of them were like yours. I quoted them to make a simple point: We communicate with words, we try to list what we communicate with words, we try to keep our language structured but this does not make the lists of reality.
If the dictionaries of ancient Greece listed Zeus as "the real existing King of the Gods, lives on Mount Olympus" that would be not incorrectly listing what people wanted to communicate when they said "Zeus" but Zeus wasn't real then and then the dictionary was changed to read "the fictional King of the Gods, lives on Mount Olympus" and poof, he went from real to fictional.
We write the dictionaries, reality doesn't write them, they are not cosmic truth in book form. That's what I mean by "Definitions are just definitions". They are attempts at describing words.

This is a trite conversation; it is meaningless.
No, no conversation is ever meaningless. We are two organisms communicating, which is the sharing of meaning, about concepts, which are also about meaning.

"How are we talking about concepts?" you may wonder.

"Hippogriff" is not real, meaning the concept of hippogriff is real and the word "hippogriff" is real but it itself is not, it is imaginary.
"Meaningless" is not real, meaning the concept of it is real and the word is real but it itself is not, it is imaginary.

These are just undeniable facts. It's not my fault that they are.

Matt I'm not reading all that. Maybe if I become inebriated later.

Good talk.

Pitiful response.

Good talk.

I remember that guy. I wonder who he really was?

Hell Jacket.

Good talk.

It was one of Mort Sahl's dozens of socks. I notice his female socks have all left too.

Check my block list because you're probably on it.

No offense Vlad, but your exchange with Shade is the epitome of meaningless.

Could you be the one to tell him?

He does not believe anything is meaningless. We have… Irreconcilable differences so far as our understanding of the word is concerned. I am afraid telling him out conversation is meaningless would be, well, meaningless.

Good talk.

No, it would not be meaningless for you to tell me so. You're confusing it with futile or pointless. Yes, you read correctly, pointless is non-mythical.

It was a joke, Matthew.

Good talk.

Oh, sorry. I can get very Sheldon when I'm in this headspace.

It is of no significance. Think nothing of it

Good talk.

No, as I kind of hide my own emotions most of the time when I’m on here for the most part to prevent myself from going crazy, lol.

Do you think message boards has a corrupting sort of influence on the human mind?

That would be strictly contingent based towards which food the person is getting fed on the message board that they are reading, and on how impressionable their minds are towards what they read, as I’ve seen people get brainwashed strictly through the imprecation of indoctrinating to believe the most farcical shit, to the point where they’d believe that they are a world power. Like with any experience though, the effects vary upon what we make it sometimes; with our reactions varying upon our interpretation of it based off of our internal chemistry.

“There are no atheists in foxholes, eh?”-Keith Jennings from the Omen.

It obviously does for some people. Mostly those with no self control….

🎃Grade "A" Fully Loaded🎃
🎃"Sexy as Hell"🎃

Lol

Filmboards does.

I have no problem with it. The features here are terrific. The site is simple to navigate.
Some of the people who post here are a bit disturbed. I'm assuming that those are the sort of people you are wondering about?

You asked a pretty question; I've given you the ugly answer.
Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

What is Filmboards?

Is it the literal website, its interface, features, etc that draws users to come and post here?

Or is it the body of personalities that interact with one another?

I'd argue it is both. And just as a body with rot can be killed by the infection, so, too, can a few rotten apples ruin the whole of Filmboards.

Good talk.

It's filmboards policy. There have been posters who never trolled online before and they were generally nice good natured people, after posting here for about a month, they become just as crazy as the majority. filmboards brings out the worst in us.

That's why nimda should enforce new policies that ensure appropriate behavior by banning inappropriate anti-social behavior like trolling, flaming, spamming, creating sock names for insulting other posters, fat shaming, body policing, name calling, harassment, doxxing…

People wouldn't feel the urge to misbehave if it weren't acceptable by the admin.

Stfu,you would be the first to go ….loon.

In The Gobal Village,The Village Idiot Resides.

lol

"Miss Edith speaks out of turn. She's a bad example, and will have no cakes today." ~ Drusilla

I agree, the only thing is Nimda would lose a lot of posters that way

You're freaking pessimistic, Moonchild.

No he wouldn't. They would be forced to adhere to the policy. Work it out on the banned board. I've never tried it, but others have. Eventually the poster would get tired of being banned. There are a lot of people who are afraid of joining because they're turned off by the rampant anti-social behavior allowed.

You seriously think these boneheads would stick around if they couldn't do what they wanted when they wanted?

Maybe pessimistic to you but I'm saying it's realistic

Let them go. Why do we need them here? I think you like it too much, Moonchild. You like their bullshit trolling.

We don't but apparently Nimda does

Also you didn't have an issue wanting me banned for life. I haven't done 20% of the trolling going on. Being a mean bitch doesn't qualify as trolling.

Of course I didn't because you wanted me to be as miserable as you

I wasn't making you miserable. Did I doxx bitch? Do I harass you? Spam you, flame you, did I ever make a sock name to insult yours? Did I mess with your real life the way somebody did to Ryan, itty and G?

You harassed me and flamed me, yes

One time you posted that I was in love with you or some BS

You can be relentless, Donna, and you won't accept that you've been wrong

Only after you started with me about lies popactor told you about me. You know what filmboards rule you broke to get you banned. No wonder you're in this thread supporting trolls while I am trying to put an end to some of the worst kind of trolling. I don't wanna be labeled a troll anymore and this site needs to stop trolling.