Politics : 'Respect Women' anti-creeper Aussie TV commercial

'Respect Women' anti-creeper Aussie TV commercial

Some thoughts.

1) The reason he's looking at her might not be sinister or sexual. The guy might just be 'zoning out' and staring off into space not realizing he's staring at the woman (people do that on public transport sometimes), or she might look like an old friend or acquaintance so he's trying to figure out if that's her, or maybe there's something else in that direction that he's staring at, or perhaps he's autistic or has some other mental condition that causes him to stare at random strangers, etc.

2) The other dude ("the hero") felt 'he had to do something' even though no crime or harassment was being committed. If the creeper was following or touching the woman, then, yes, intervention is warranted but just looking at her across a crowded subway train during the morning commute is hardly a cause for alarm.

3) If the creeper looked like Brad Pitt, the woman would probably be smiling back at him and none of the other passengers would give his behavior a second thought but because he's an average-looking bloke, his behavior automatically becomes "creepy". Such is life and the world we live in today.

4) If you're in a crowded public place, someone is probably going to look at you. It goes with the territory.

Re: 'Respect Women' anti-creeper Aussie TV commercial

Dude seriously? You can tell by the way he was looking it was creepy. Straight at her and intense. It wasn't zoning out. Looks have nothing to do with anything. A creeper is a creeper.

~~Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.~~

It wasn't zoning out.

I've seen people zone out like that. It looks like they're staring at someone or something but they're really just lost in their own thoughts.

The situation here could apply to either gender. A man would be just as uncomfortable with someone staring at them. The message in the video isn't about simply staring however, it is about bystanders not allowing any form of harassment to take place if they see it occurring.

Staring at strangers is rude, of course. We're taught that as kids. However, people do it all the time in public places and I just think it's odd that the Australian government would put out a public service announcement advising people how to react if they witness it. If a guy was really harassing a woman, decent people would step in and stop it, but in the case of harmless staring, I don't see the big deal and the guy's intentions might've been completely innocent or misunderstood. I wouldn't make a move to block the guy unless I knew that he was a creeper/stalker and the woman was completely innocent. It's hard to tell sometimes. I see guys checking out women all the time on the subway (and vice versa), it seems harmless and some women might take it as a compliment.

People often won't step in, even if someone is being physically attacked. It is called the bystander effect. In this video, the woman is clearly uncomfortable, but he continues to stare. In that instance, the stare can be more than creepy, it could possibly be threatening.

Seemed obvious he was staring at her and in a very creepy way. Looks dont matter here. If he made eye contact with her for a few moments and smiled then looked away it would have been fine.

Seemed obvious he was staring at her and in a very creepy way.

Yes, it seems that way. Still, I would be hesitant to get involved unless the guy made a move towards the woman.

I think the point is that whatever his intention, he was clearly making her uncomfortable and other people noticed that.
The 2nd guy merely put himself between the two, blocking the first guy's view ,therefore he circumvented the situation without a more aggressive or awkward approach being necessary.

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

, he was clearly making her uncomfortable and other people noticed that.
The 2nd guy merely put himself between the two, blocking

It's a tough call. Sometimes it's best not to get involved in other people's affairs unless you know for sure what's going on. For all that guy knew, 'the creeper' could've known the woman, maybe she was his ex or knew him from somewhere. The woman didn't say anything so we'll never know.

In that video I don't see what he did as getting involved. I agree that verbally confronting the first guy might have been ott plus he could place himself in danger. But standing in his way seemed to do the trick.

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

This ex of mine that I hadn't seen since I was in my 30s came into the line where I was cashiering

He recognized me but not the other way around. He was looking at me and I didn't give him a friendly look back

When he got to the front of the line I realized who he was.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.

Confucius

Were you creeped out at all or just surprised?

At first I thought why is this guy staring, then when I knew who he was I understood

Confucius

Did it make your asshole pucker?

No, that's mild. Getting into a near accident is pucker worthy

Confucius

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Yeah, but it would still be rude to stare at her (or him, if that's the case). I don't think she's a bad looking middle-aged woman but I can understand why some people think she's a tranny. You just never know nowadays.

christine baranski on meth

The demands on a Vulcan's character are extraordinarily difficult. Do not mistake composure for ease.