Sports : What do you Americans feel about baseball?

What do you Americans feel about baseball?

As a Dane, I've never played the game or even watched a match. I do however know the game from numerous movies, books and tv series, and I even feel nostalgic when the game is mentioned in connection with America's post-war era, like in John Fogerty's song Centerfield. Is it correct to assume that most Americans enjoy the game to some degree and that most have tried to play it in school and high school?

Hey, it's a kind of magic!

Re: What do you Americans feel about baseball?

I can't speak for all but in my life baseball is very important.
Not only for myself and kids but for me and my father. Baseball has a very unique
history and there's nothing quite like it's story. It sometimes reads as a bad reality show.

I think at one time almost everybody has "played" baseball at one time or another over here.
Baseball brought America together more than once in it's history. It's history is also full of many of the negative things that America shares with its history.
It also creates some of the great debates for the fans. Even people who don't know baseball know of some of it's great characters.

If you ever get a chance to watch the Ken Burns documentary it's worth it.
It's not only a story of baseball but a story of history.

This is just an example of the history and the different stories that are out there.
https://mashable.com/2017/05/20/house-of-david-baseball-team/?europe=true#.eXZ7C34gmqK

Many thanks for your reply and the link, classics! I will try to find the Ken Burns documentary. Your reply had me googling Danish baseball teams. Surprisingly, there's a handful, one even fairly close to where I live. I might give it a go.

Thanks again for your reply.

Baseball is well represented all over the world.
Unless you've played the game it may seem boring to some. It's one of the most difficult games there is.
To try to hit a small ball moving at 100 mph. with a small piece of wood is challenging to say the least.
Not even considering that depending on how it's thrown the ball moves in many different directions.
A ball consists of a small rubber ball, wrapped in string, covered by leather.
Not as easy as it looks.
It's one of the few sports that the offense doesn't control the ball, the defense does.
Each stadium in which it's played has different dimensions.
It's so difficult to play that if you succeed 30% of the time in getting a hit you're considered very good.
If you hit it 3.5 times out of 10 you're a legend.

There are a lot of crazy rules but that's what makes it so great.
You don't need to be big and strong to succeed in baseball.
It's a sport that can be played by almost everybody.

The history of baseball in itself is a tale that has no comparison.
It's not perfect it has a history of cheating, collusion and segregation.
Much like America itself.
To smell a glove, the grass and the smell of burnt wood if you just "tick" the ball is amazing.
To hear generations talk about baseball and all the memories it brings will bring tears to your eyes.

Nothing like it…

I must say it sounds difficult! I mean, in comparison, most people can play soccer. They may not be able to play it well, but running while kicking a soccer ball is something most people could do. If you can't hit the baseball with your bat, that's pretty much a disqualifying factor I reckon.

Your description is quite moving and I even feel the nostalgia despite never having played the game myself. I remember that John Irving describes the sound of the ball hitting the bat is an iconic sound to every American, a sound which every American connects with summer and feeling happy. It's from the book "A Prayer for Owen Meany", a favourite of mine as it happens.

Exactly. You are very perceptive.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

Precisely. I played both soccer and football, but wasn't great at either.

Well said, sir! It's a sport where if you fail two thirds of the time, you're a superstar!

Yes, that is generally correct, although more people play softball. It uses a larger ball and it's pitched slowly underhand. But there is also fast pitch softball where it's still pitched underhand, but much faster.

The problem many people (and I) have with baseball is that it can be very slow and boring. There's no clock, so games can become quite lengthy. It's not uncommon for games to end with a score of 1 to 0, or 2 to 1. And if the score is tied after nine innings, they keep playing until the home team scores, or the visiting team scores, and the home team does not. The home team always bats last. But this does not bother the purists.

Actually the biggest sport in America (and my favorite) is the National Football League.
This features the Superbowl which is on Feb 3 this year.

PS I did not know they played baseball in Denmark.

Thanks, MMC2! I'm very fascinated by this. I reckon that going to a major league match is also a social thing, i.e. a chance to meet with friends and relatives?

P.s. Neither did I until a few hours ago, and I doubt that most Danes are aware of this. I dare say that baseball is not a big thing in these parts.

You're welcome, RN. BTW, we refer to them as "games". And thanks for furthering my education by letting me know Danes play baseball. I never would have suspected that.

I wasn't a jock, but I played baseball thru-out my youth and it's the sport I'm most into, although I was more of a swimmer, skater, climber and daredevil in my younger days.

I didn't think I'd ever play baseball because I got hit very hard in the eye with a baseball when I was 6 years old…innocently watching from the back porch while my older brother and his friends played. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When I played I got hit hard again with the ball…that time in the leg…lol

I had a good arm and mostly played left field.

But I was put on a team with my friends in my own age group, and they certainly weren't jocks - our team sucked and we were like the bad news bears…that's probably why I didn't get too involved with it later on.

Is it safe to say that almost everybody has played baseball at one time in the U.S.?
It's almost a staple in schools isn't it, even now?

I reckon so…at least most males do

Poor little Luke :(

Baseball is the only sport I like

Luke??

Geewizzz is Luke

Oh okay.

Ouch! Was your eye okay?

Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I was pitching in a back yard "game", and got hit in the forehead by a batted ball. I guess I'm fortunate to have a hard head. On the other hand, that might explain a lot about me today. I pretty much gave it up after that.

Years later I was the Manager of a coed soft pitch softball team for 19 years. We won four first place trophies, and five second place trophies. I retired from that in 2002.

PS The Bad News Bears is one of my favorite movies.

Ouch! Was your eye okay?

Yea, but at the time, I thought I lost it.
Had an ice pack on it and it was all swollen and black & blue for weeks.

That put me off from playing sports for a while…especially that my older brother broke his arm shortly after while playing football with a few neighbors.

When I finally got the courage to play, the first thing that happened was getting hit hard in the leg…lol…that hurt like hell.

After that, it wasn't so bad.

I relate to Bad News Bears…lol…our coach was a lazy drunk and hardly ever showed up.

We also had second hand uniforms and the rest of the league didn't want anything to do with our team.

I probably was the best player on the team but was too old for the official team - they stuck me with my age group…but those were my friends, so I was happy to be with them.

If they were more organized, we could've been a better team.

Years later I was the Manager of a coed soft pitch softball team for 19 years. We won four first place trophies, and five second place trophies.

Sounds fun.

My older brother was the jock in the family and he won many trophies.
I'd often watch him play.

It's ironic that he was the one who got me interested in movies and music but he took more interest in sports…I took my interest in movies and music to a whole other level.

Glad to hear your eye was okay.

I am Canadian not American but we have a fair bit of baseball here.

It's pretty slow and boring for spectators, most games, which makes it perfect for listening to on the radio when you are doing an outside project, like painting a fence or staining a deck, as you only need to pay attention intermittently.

It's also a sport that is more fun to play than to watch or listen to.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Great game but you need to go to the games to truly get the full experience. Baseball has the greatest discrepancy between live experience in attendance and experience watching on tv, it’s like night and day.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

Watching baseball is like watching grass grow. I won't watch it unless I have a DVR to FFW thru all the boring parts.

[center][poll] multiple [s][/s] [sic] [sub][/sub] [sup][/sup] [u][/u]  

The historical aspect of baseball is much more interesting than the sport itself. It appears antiquated in the modern world, with men wearing knee-high socks and hitting a ball with an oddly shaped stick. The proper modern man dons padding and spandex and plays football.

Amen!

It's a bit of a slower game, with just short moments of excitement, but sometimes that's what I want. Almost kind of reminds me of an old west shootout. Lots of tension and build-up, then a quick burst of action. I think what appeals to at least me is that tension.
I also just love the culture and atmosphere of the sport. I'm not a hardcore fan… of any sport for that matter.