Pets and Animals : Learning about kiwi birds in New Zealand is an interesting read

Learning about kiwi birds in New Zealand is an interesting read

NZer gets to see these cute birds.

Apparently the number of kiwi birds has gone down the past few decades due to foreign animals that were brought into New Zealand.

The New Zealand government has pledged to eliminate the entire stoat and rat population in New Zealand by 2050, in an effort to help conserve the kiwi bird. I wish them success. Kiwi birds are cool animals, yo.

They're related to the emu, I can see it. They look like tiny emus lol.

Re: Learning about kiwi birds in New Zealand is an interesting read

They are extremely rare now. I've never seen one in real nature in NZ, only in special sanctuaries where they prefer very dim lighting. The story of the kiwi bird is sad indeed.

Hey, it's a kind of magic!

Are you from New Zealand?

I thought you were an American for some reason.

No but I've been to NZ many times. My favourite country of all!

I'm from Denmark as it happens.

Nice, breh.

I'd love to visit the countries in Oceania but I bet the airfare is really expensive lol.

how would they elimate them? stoats are cute

Apparently they use chemical sprays, which is a controversial practice over there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080_usage_in_New_Zealand

They are amazing aren't they! Funny little buggers.

Unfortunately they're killed by dogs too, so it's really hard work to keep them from becoming extinct.

They're nocturnal, so the ones that I saw were in a special house at the zoo, where they keep it dark during the day, and light it up at night.

I went to a zoo in Rotorua some years ago. It had an impressive indoor area with kiwi birds. Fortunately they were unusually lively when I visited. They are indeed very charming animals!

Do you live on the South Island or the North Island, NZer? If you don't mind me asking.

North Island. I live near a beach. It's 10.30am on Tuesday. The sun is shining and it's 72 degrees F.
I have several families of wild birds that I'm feeding. Blackbirds, thrushes, mynas, sparrows, pigeons, doves. They all have offspring. The birdbath needs filling several times a day! That's me.

Nice! You live in a wonderful country with some of the most spectacular scenery on this planet. I have had the privilege to visit quite a few times and it's always a pleasure. Enjoy your summer down there! In Europe it's freezing cold at the moment. 😨

In a couple of months it'll be arse-about! You'll have your Summer and I'll be cold!

Quite right. It's all part of the big cosmic switcheroo!

lol. Look at that bird run. Literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Stupid bird.

New Zealand is on my bucket list. I need to go there.

I am a dick. I've always been a dick.