The Walking Dead : Boring horror

Boring horror

Halloween (all versions), Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Saw (all versions), Friday the 13th (the first one wasn't bad). Why are these movies so awful, and why on earth do people watch them? The Exorcist, The Shining, Alien, Carrie, The Thing (original): these were great movies, worth watching dozens of times. I don't think I've watched any of the crappy ones right through.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was also crap. Wrong Turn and Joyride were good, as was The Hills Have Eyes (both versions)

Re: Boring horror

Greatest horror of all time was walking in on my momma fuckin my gym coach

Oh, I saw that one. Taboo, right?

I'll never be able to erase from my mind, the image of Yo mamma with that baseball bat up Coach Krasinski's ass.

What was u doin there?

I don’t watch horror films AT ALL.

This could be temporary.

They're probably my favourite genre.

Mines threesome

The ones you listed are slasher flicks which is a sub genre of horror. Everyone has their preference. Just because you don't like slasher horror doesn't mean they are bad movies. The ones you listed are the best of slasher horror. A Nightmare of Elm Street is another classic slasher horror movie. What did you think of it?

Good point. I dislike slasher films in general because they are both misogynistic and boring. Nightmare was awful. The only slasher films I have liked are Dressed to Kill, Black Christmas, High Tension and Bloody Bird (also called Stagefright). These were at least intended for people of average intelligence.

Oh, Psycho is by far the best of all time. Alice, Sweet Alice gets honourable mention. Play Misty For me was also good. Visiting Hours was very good.

High Tension? That was extremely misogynistic and homophobic. The lead character was like a female version of Norman Bates.

Read what you wrote. SMH

You read it and think about it carefully? A psychotic lesbian having multiple personalities that goes on a murder spree and kidnaps her best friend because she's sexually attracted to her? If that's not the writer being homophobic and misogynistic, I don't know what to tell you.

Why don't you stop trying to argue with me? I'm more intelligent than you. Deal with it, hater.

I shall now bow down to my better!
(Just kidding)
You're either (as Bentley says) the greatest troll or a fucking dumb as shit ignorant fool.
The jury is out and I believe they will be deadlocked for eternity.

So are you going to debate the movie with supportive facts or troll Christian followers (me) like what most savage Muslims like you do?

Ain't no such thing as a Christian prostitute. You hoe are the work of the devil

You're stupid.

That ain't no way to talk to a potential buyer whore

Go away dumbass troll.

It’s a Bongo sock

Current Ignore List: Azn_2, Chickaboom

It is, of course, misogynistic, as all slasher films are. But to have the film end with the revelation that the killer was a woman transfers agency to the female subject. Ergo, less misogynistic than the usual dull slasher, with an older male killing off defenceless bimbos with monotonous regularity.

I don't see it that way at all. I don't even think slasher horror is misogynistic anyway. I was just trying to debate with you. Honestly though you're wrong and not making any sense at all. The character in High Tension is the most despicable deranged woman I've ever seen in a movie. When you think of the metaphors her alter reoresents, it's extremely hateful to women especially lesbians.

She is in the closet. One night she masturbates while fantazing about her best friend. She feels guilty and then her alter (a psychotic scary looking man) takes control of her. He goes through her best friends home murdering her family and kidnaps her friend while the core personality watches in horror and comes out every once in a while to play the good guy.

It's sick shit. Totally twisted and misogynistic imo. I'd rather it have just been a psycho guy all along rather than it be her.

Consider that slasher films, for the most part, come out of Reagan-era conservatism, and feature a male killer killing a number of young women, often educated and having fun (classic older male resentment). Consider that 99% of violent crimes against women are committed by men. So the slasher film is meant to satisfy the resentments of men, especially; possibly because of the gains of women through feminism. High Tension could well be read as a film about women's rage against patriarchy being played out in a peculiarly self-destructive way. I agree that it's possibly very misogynistic, but it's a lot more complex than, say Halloween, or Nightmare, or Friday the 13th, which are essentially meant for idiots.

Consider that slasher films, for the most part, come out of Reagan-era conservatism, and feature a male killer killing a number of young women, often educated and having fun (classic older male resentment). Consider that 99% of violent crimes against women are committed by men.
I've researched most of the slasher horror flicks of the 80s and in all of them, the killer's victims consists about equally of male and female. Some of the killers are women. I don't know what you've based your theory on, but there is no evidence I can see that proves your theory. Unless you've based your theory on the movie posters alone. The posters show women running in terror or the title suggests an all female cast. It's marketing of course so perhaps that's kind of where your theory could be applied.

High Tension could well be read as a film about women's rage against patriarchy being played out in a peculiarly self-destructive way.
Okay where are you getting that from? There isn't anything in the movie that suggests the killer comes from a matriarch family or that she's raging against it. The homosexual part is very much engrained in the story and plot. There are scenes supporting that. And her family isn't mentioned really. But let's remove that concept from the story and explore it in more depth. How exactly is hatred of patriarchy manifests itself as a homosexual multiple personality? Is that Feud's Oedipus Complex?

I agree that it's possibly very misogynistic, but it's a lot more complex than, say Halloween, or Nightmare, or Friday the 13th, which are essentially meant for idiots.
To me, High Tension is below complexity for a slasher flick. The deaths aren't that creative and her motives aren't that complex than either than Nightmare nor Saw. High Tension's simplicity is more on par with Halloween or Friday the 13th.

Male slashers outnumber female slashers by about 20:1. I'd like to see your list where the numbers of males killed equal the women.

A simple Google search of slasher horror movies of the 80s. The list populated about 15 movies.

Start naming some titles that support your assertions.

So what's the list and what's the break-up of the slashed, genderwise?

You tell me. I looked it up to verify what you said and didn't see any proof of your claim. I read plot synopisis and everything. Now if you just studied the titles and observed the movie posters, it would seem that most killers are male killing mostly women. However, when you read the summary of even watch those films, which a lot of them I have, you'd see that they're mostly teenagers and the killer murders both genders. That's not really misogynistic at all. If anything it misandry.

You have the burden of proof not me.

All the studies are on my side. You want to make a name for yourself, let's have your list, and the numbers. Otherwise, pipe down, honey.

Linz and Donnerstein state that slasher films single out women for attack.

Linz, Daniel; Donnerstein, Edward (1994). "Dialogue: Sex and Violence in Slasher Films: A Reinterpretation". Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. 2. 38: 243–246

"In slasher films, the final girls who survive at the end of the film almost always remain virgins. Those who engage in sexual behavior often die at the hands of the killer. Evidence produced from the Molitor and Sapolsky study on slasher films from 1980 to 1993 shows that "it takes women twice as long to die as men in these films" and "females are shown in terror for obviously longer periods of time than males".[3] Molitor and Sapolsky's data revealed huge differences between the treatment of men and women which indicate that females are singled out for victimization in special ways in these films. One of the studies they conducted is the number of seconds that males and females display fear in these films. If a person watched all 30 films in the Molitor and Sapolsky study, they would see a total of almost five solid hours of women in states of fear and terror."

What a bunch of nonsense to support their claim.
it takes women twice as long to die as men in these films. Females are shown in terror for obviously longer periods of time than males.
Doesn't mean anything other than the women are on screen longer than the men. Both genders died though.

I suppose if anyone at all were to watch "5 solid hours of scenes" where ONLY the woman is taking a long time to die and close up shots of her face in terror or her screaming, then hell yeah, it would seem misogynistic. But when you consider the plot and story of these movies, it's not at all misogynistic.

This reminds me of that guy Fugazi from Film General when he said that he watched a youtube video that someone analyzed Hellraiser and said that the entire premise of movie and everything in the movie is a metaphor for drug addiction. Well if you watch the youtube video, the youtuber says the he watched hours of horror movie in one sitting. Well that would fuck up your head making you think anything including unicorns are real and there are flying devils outside your window.

Still no list and numbers from you, though. Also, when you "consider the plot and story": that's precisely where one notes the misogyny.

Here, fucking asshole.

https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=FCUS10&PC=MC98&q=horror+slasher+movies+of+the+80s

Read the synopsis of each from either imdb or wikipedia and get back to me.

If the killer is male or female in some of these movies killing both men and women, then it's not hating women. It's hating people. It feeds anti-social amoral personality psychotics.

Where's the numbers, honey? Don't expect me to do your work for you, especially since I know you're wrong.

Do what work? Anyone can look at it and see that you and the authors who wrote that book are hacks who know nothing about what they are talking about. But if you wanna argue about the numbers, you didn't list any numbers either and neither did your quote. It just showed a conclusion. Well, this is my conclusion. I did the work, that's how I know you're wrong. That's how I know the authors of that book are hacks. It's propaganda and nothing more. I'd expect more from you "professor".

I saw no signs of any work. You don't have the numbers. End of story.

Neither did you. End of story. It was nice debating with you even though you didn't prove shit. All you did was quote people who said they did something that proves nothing and all I did was less work to reach the correct conclusion without the propaganda.

And our work were to be graded, I think the teacher would give me an B and you a D.

You get an F. But props for passion and flailing about in an entertaining way.

I was going to say I’m sure Bentley is no stranger to getting the D from teachers, but I thought better of it.

Current Ignore List: Azn_2, Chickaboom

Well, I'll be buggered!

You're the type of person that believes anything you read. I've seen lots of slasher horror movies and the directors don't have a tendency to film the female getting murdered longer than the male characters. If there is it very slight and not enough proof to warrant the label of misogyny.

Disagreeing with the venerable Professor Dbentley?
You are such a fucking retard.
Not to mention, disgrace to your race.

I have no idea what you're even talking about. How can the African American community be anymore disgraceful than it already is? Everyone thinks we're a fucking joke. At least I try to add some intelligence and class. They just want to hold onto that ghetto mentality as an identity forever and ever…
I act like an American which gives me so many more options than just being black and oppressed.