Religion, Faith, and Spirituality : Proof of God’s existence.

Proof of God’s existence.

Definition of terms.

Finite: that which has a limit, that which comes to an end at a certain point, that which is dependent on other things in order to come into existence and sustain itself, that which has a contingent existence, exists relative to other things.

Infinite: absolute and not relative. That which is without limit. That which exists on its own and does not need anything to exist. It contains its cause in itself. It is it’s own cause.

God: The Infinite

I am a finite being. But I have the concept of that which is infinite. Everything I see and experience, is limited in some way, just like I am. Now, concepts do not form out of nothing, out of the blue. Concepts have content, and are determinate, meaning they can be understood. Concepts have a correlate, a content, we don’t just “make them up”. Even concepts we “form” are combinations of things we already know, things we have experienced. Now, in order for us to have a concept of God, The Infinite, there must be a content to the concept. We could say that words like “The Infinite” are just nonsense, because we only experience the limited, the contingent, and then high and mystical words like “God” “The Infinite” etc, don’t have any meaning. But they are discernible. We understand what it means to be limited. Through the concept of limitation, we can understand that the notion of the absence of limitation, limitlessness, is intelligible. For what is limitlessness, infinity, but the opposite of limit and finitude. In the end, this makes sense to us. Indeed, if we don’t know infinity, then what are we doing arguing about if it is, and at the very least, we know what it is NOT, aka, we know it isn’t finitude. But knowing what something is not, tells us what it is. We know that infinity is the opposite of finitude, and we have a concept of infinity, and, well, once again, we MUST, or at least, I must, because here we are, or I am, talking about it, and if there were no It to talk about, then there would be no subject of thought, but obviously, there is. Because I, a finite being, constrained to being what I am, and constrained by my place and time in the history of the world, and my experience of the non infinite objects I have experienced in my lifetime, can think think The Infinite, The Infinite must exist. But when I think of The Infinite, nothing comes to mind, other than the logical concept of the infinite as that which is without limit, and I know limitation, so lack of limitation, the logical contrast, is the concept generated by limitation. Basically, finitude leads the mind to awareness of the infinite, which is nothing but what it is, and infinity is, putting it crudely, “Nothing”. It is nothing, because if it’s were a determinate thing, it would obviously be finite. But this empty force, the Infinite, is thought by me, and I know it came to me through the concept of finitude. The infinite therefore dwells in the finite, and the finite, depends on the infinite for its existence. Isn’t this the same thing as God, except without the hokey religious element? God therefore exists, because I can fathom God as a logical concept, and concepts have content, being formed through determinate experience of reality, and not generated out of our brains for no apparent reason. The only way the concept of God can exist, is if God actually exists.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0U8RptQt4RL

Re: Proof of God’s existence.

tl;dr

"What the fuck is that?"

"Don't know so it must be God"

I’m an atheist in the religious sense. I don’t believe in a man upstairs, and my post isn’t about that idea. I’m a theist in the higher, philosophical sense. I think religion is an errant attempt to understand the ultimate reality.

Me too.

Either way, same thing you said about the finite mind's dependence on infinity to understand that it's a finite mind or whatever the fuck could be said about light and dark/day and night.

If that's what makes something God then you may as well go pray to the Sun

The Sun is limited by not being the moon or any other planet. It’s a determinate thing among other things. I said that even though we intuitively know the concept of the infinite through the concept of the limited, what appears in the concept of infinity, is nothing specific. That’s because infinity can’t be a specific object. Infinity is indiscernible from nothingness, but it’s still a logical concept, so it’s content must exist. In all of this, what I mean by God, is not something to pray to. It’s not a person somewhere. It’s not the religious idea. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m only talking about the logical concept of God.

And I compared your reason for calling that shit "God" to the difference between light and dark but I think the relation that comparison has with what you're saying went entirely over your head.

This is boring and not as deep as you think it is.

My reason for calling it God is perfectly rational, because if God is the infinite, then the infinite is God, and there is no qualitative difference. Infinity and God are the same thing, and that’s all I was ever talking about. The concept of God I am operating with, is The Infinite. It can’t be space, for space is the absence of matter, as a sort of field through which matter passes, it can’t be energy, it can’t be matter, because those are all limited things. What is infinite can only be called the Infinite, because that’s simply all it is. That which has no limits whatsoever. God is the exact same concept.

Yeah, I fully understood what you were saying but what I said is still going right the fuck over your head.

haha

Just a regular guy who loves poone

Yeah uh-huh

❤️Joy to the boards the PAGG has cum

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

Lol

The ol switcharoo? Talk about The Infinite and then switch in God and say “aha, god exists”? Well, what is God other than The Infinite? I am speaking in technical terminology, and not even acknowledging the man upstairs variant of the concept, except to say that it is not what I am speaking of.

Stfu. He said he had to go to sleep. Stop having an argument by yourself you stupid coke freak

Post deleted

I thought you were implying that all this talk about God is just switching in the word God when I just originally said Infinity, that it’s just word games. I was then saying that the God I started out speaking of, was simply infinity, not the “folk idea” of god.

I'm open minded…I'm open to many concepts…though I don't necessarily practice them.

God was invented by humans

End of discussion

Anyone between me and that stone dies

You're making sense today Croft!
You DO have your moments

It's just you and me now sport.

Why,thank you!

Anyone between me and that stone dies

When my step-dad acheived his spiritual enlightenment, he said almost the same thing you have. You remind me of him.

It doesn't matter what you've based your reasoning or how you've come to understand that God is real, all that matters is that you believe. But do you have faith in Him?

To those who understand, no proof is necessary. To those who don't understand, no proof is enough.

You sniffing the rocks again?

I am a dick. I've always been a dick.

Sure, but "infinity" is a finite concept. It has concretely defined, yet relative, parameters; the infinite is relative to the finite, and vice versa. The very conceptual material of "infinity" goes against the abstract concept of infinity.

All concepts have "content", but that content is generally subjectively experienced and linked to form said concept. It especially gets confused when you buy into the parameters of any given concept (including "the infinite"), while rejecting - or at least obfuscating - the material origin of those parameters.

Blah blah blah. Funny enough, I actually believe in "God" (in some undefined form, but alas, even "undefined" establishes conceptual limitations). But…

"God therefore exists, because I can fathom God as a logical concept, and concepts have content, being formed through determinate experience of reality, and not generated out of our brains for no apparent reason."

^ That's legit just a re-worded representation of the ontological argument. That's all.

You are thinking of concepts as mental constructs in our heads, representations, some sort of data, or at least I think you are. Are you? I don’t want to misrepresent you. But as it seems to me, you are considering them as such. I think of concepts as logical necessity, given their determinate meaning within a fully coherent conceptual system, all of the concepts relating to each other and supporting each other. The concept of the infinite, has no parameters, because it’s not just a word, a simple datum in my head. There is nothing specific that is contained in concept. Nothing appears in consciousness whatsoever. It’s not like thinking dog or tree, and there isn’t even an object to contrast against other objects. It’s simply an entirely empty notion that still manages to be rational just the same. You mentioned the abstract concept of infinity. What makes you think what I am talking about, is different? I just mean “the unlimited, that which is without limitation, the absence of limitation”. The infinite is defined as that which is not finite, and the finite, as that which is not infinite. It’s contained within the concepts. Finitude is limitation, and what is limitation but that which is not without a limit, meaning that the thing in question comes to a point, it stops. The concept of finitude logically leads us to understand infinity, because the concept of limitation cannot exist without its contrast, and its contrast, infinity, cannot be known unless we first know the finite. Finitude is directly experienced. Infinitude is not directly empirically experienced, it’s simply known or understood through thinking alone.

Oh come on, Donnie! Throw in a paragraph break or two. It will make your post MUCH easier to read.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.