The Walking Dead : Anybody ever do a genetic test?

Anybody ever do a genetic test?

And find anything interesting?

I did the Ancestry one, and uploaded the results to a few genealogy sites.

Filled in a bunch of holes in the family tree and connected with a few distant cousins.

Next up is the Y chromosome one.

Re: Anybody ever do a genetic test?

All the people I know who do this stuff are senile and/or unemployed. Present company excepted, of course.

OUCH

Actually, it's been pretty cool. I was able to trace ancestors back through the earliest colonies in New France, and then back to France, and also to the native people of Nova Scotia.

I was able to help a distant cousin, who was adopted and got into to find her biological roots, find a mutiual ancestor in colonial St. Lucia,

So anyways….I discovered this evening that I am distant cousins with hockey mega legend 'Rocket' Richard.

If VHS were here, he'd be thrilled!!

I'm not vhs, but I feel very cool to know a relative of such a legend! Congrats Corwin!

Merci!

Really, Corwin, this Richard fellow ought to be honoured that he's related to you! Where's your pride?

The 'Rocket' was like the Bonnie Tyler, or Bonnie Hunt, or even the Helen Hunt, of hockey, back in the day.

I've only heard of Vain Getski (which I always thought was an odd name for a hockey player…surely he didn't need to get skis????

I just want to assure you that this discovery will not change how I relate to you.

I will still put on my pants one leg at a time in the morning, pretend occasionally to be Jared Kushner just to amuse myself and absolutely no one else on the Politics board, but also, and most importantly, be the Rocket's cousin.

That won't change US.

Okay, I apologize. I thought it might be going a bit too far.

de rien

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to brag about this. My mother will be jealous. She is from New Brunswick and grew up with "Hockey night in Canada".

I didn't know! That will mean something to her.

If some of your ancestors were also Acadien, we might be related too.

VHS himself is related to Doctor Christian Szell.

I understand that Del and VHS were shocked to discover that they were brothers.

Pay someone to harvest my DNA? Not bloody likely! They'll have to pry the DNA from my cold, dead hands.

Good answer from a 2A'r!

What's 2A'r? Two ate her?

Have tongue, will travel! Del and I, that is.

The GATTACA people already told me you're not going to Mars. Something about a particular set of genes, but if you are not interested, ok.

I did the Ancestry test and I did have surprises! I had suspicions that I might not be what I thought I was, but the surprises actually came from somewhere else!
Prior to the test, I thought I was:
25% Irish (paternal grandfather)
25% English (paternal grandmother)
25% Italian (maternal grandfather)
12.5% French (maternal grandmother)
12.5% German (maternal grandmother)

My maternal grandmother was an orphan. I only knew her parents' names which were French and German. I assumed if there were going to be surprises, that's where they would come from. People often looked at photos of mom, grandma, and mom's sisters and asked if we were Jewish, so I thought I would find that in my DNA. I figured her parents were Jewish and not Catholic as assumed.
Well, turns out those percentages were the only accurate ones!
Turns out my snooty paternal granmother who used to introduce me as her Irish Guinea granddaughter was actually 1/2 Irish herself! She always claimed she was only English. Self hatred, I guess. And the DNA was so diluted that by the time it reached me, I am only 4% English and 39% Irish.
The other crazy surprise. My grandfather was supposed to be 100% Italian from Pietraperzia, Sicily but I only got 6% Italian and 15% Iberian peninsula.
This was so weird for me because I was raised in mainly Italian-American culture. My parents divorced when I was young and I spent tons of time at my mom's parents' house. That grandma was an orphan, so she learned all her cooking and traditions from her Sicilan mother-in-law and they lived in the Italian neighborhood of our city. Now I find out that I am only physically 6% Italian but that's the only culture I know first hand!
Interestingly, (only to me, I am sure) I never felt connected to that culture. I felt out of place at all the ItAm festivals and didn't look like the other kids in the neighborhood. However, I was always fascinated by the Irish-Americans in our city and wanted to go to their neighborhood and festivals, etc. Finding out that I'm 39% Irish makes me wonder if my fascination came from my biology.

That's very cool!

If I were you, i would upload the DNA results as well to FamilyTree and MyHeritage (it's free), and then start checking on Ancestry and these other sites on the relatively close hits (3rd to 5th cousins), and start looking and comparing common last names, checking for patterns (and thus correlations). I was able by doing that to correlate my Acadian side, which is not even 12.5 % of my genetic background, to a very detailed degree, through the last 4 centuries and back to France, on a number of branches of the tree.

Penny,

What your tests proved, which so many others also verify, culture and mentality does not have anything to do with genes. You thinking you were Italian and lived that way, only to find out you're more Irish, did nothing to change your mentality. Right?

I never understood this fascination from white people. I don't see the same inquisitiveness from other cultures and ethnicities. Mormons and Anglo Saxons seem to really take genealogy to heart, where as everyone else is about the present.

Also, if I was any part Anglo, I'm pretty sure the story behind that is grim and I'd rather not know.

cool story brah

Did I hit a soft spot?

not at all.

I just thought that was rude to Penny.

plus, I find this, like most of your posts, to be long, boring, and not cogent. so: 'nice story, brah'.

Truth usually comes out rude. But it's still the truth. Would you prefer that I either lie or not say anything?

Also, don't you think it's ironic that you call my post rude and then reply by being rude yourself? Therefore, should you tell me the truth about your thoughts or just keep your damn trap shut? Which do you prefer to do, I'll follow in your suit.

Can you tell me where you get your baggy Pakistani khakis?

ITTY, ‘Huh? I’m not gay.’

Kids section?

You aint black nigga. Fuck outta here

My ancestors were slaves.

Any interest in finding out their origin countries?

They lived in Africa until yo people came along and fucked everything up

True