Automobiles and Transportation : Riding bike on sidewalk? Your views

Riding bike on sidewalk? Your views

It's essentially illegal in most areas, but sometimes it makes sense from a safety standpoint, if there are no bike lanes, or if other street or road conditions warrant it.

When I was a kid, we always rode our bikes on the sidewalk. Never seemed to be a problem. If there was a pedestrian up ahead, we just slowed down to go around them, or even stopped and walked the bike around them.

Re: Riding bike on sidewalk? Your views

Sure, we can share the sidewalk

Okay. I'll try not to run you over, Nettie. :)

Thank you :)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

When I was a kid, we always rode our bikes on the sidewalk. Never seemed to be a problem. If there was a pedestrian up ahead, we just slowed down to go around them, or even stopped and walked the bike around them.

When I was a child, all of the neighborhood kids rode their bikes on the sidewalk. None of the adults ever took issue with it or complained about it. If we were riding more than a few blocks up the road, like to the store (for instance), we'd stick to riding in the street.

Are You Feeling Hurt Or Triggered By Something I've Said? Call 1-800-BUTT-HURT| To Speak With An Experienced Unsympathetic Counselor Today!

That's just the way it was for us, too. In fact I think our parents insisted we stay on the sidewalks, for safety reasons. "Bike lanes" hadn't been invented yet, so it didn't make sense to ride out in the street w/ cars. Few drivers had any sense of courtesy towards bicycles on the road back then (not that they're much better now, but still…).

I'd rather have them on the sidewalk than in the street.

Don't mess with me. My son is a fat guinea pig.

I don't have any problem with them using the sidewalk as long as they take it easy and don't side-swipe or rear-end a pedestrian.

I agree mostly, but a kid on a bike ran into me from behind, a few weeks ago. We both ended in a tangled heap in the road. I'm not deaf, so I know he didn't ring his bell.
I was pretty sore for a while after that.

That's too bad, NZer. And it's no light matter, either. Somebody on a bike hitting a pedestrian can do some serious physical damage. Did you file a claim?

No. We don't do that stuff much here in NZ. I was able to get up and catch the bus home, and he was able to get back on his bike and ride off. Passers by were helpful. The kid was sorry, he misjudged the passing distance. No need for legal stuff.

Idiot kid

Get off the frigging sidewalk. You are not 5 years old.

I thought it was legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk as long as they only travel walking speed.

Current block list: hungryforever, leibowitz, Lara

I always ride on the sidewalk and the cops never bother me.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

Makes more sense to let bicyclists use sidewalks. I mean, someone getting hit by a bike is a far preferable outcome than someone on a bike getting hit by a car.

“Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three.”

Watch your back smartass.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

No. No. Cyclists don't get to just flip back and forth between road and sidewalk annoying both pedestrians and drivers whenever it's convenient. Either we "share the road" and they have to follow traffic laws or they don't and stick to the sidewalk where unsuspecting pedestrians get to dodge their irritating asses.

Cyclists are assholes.