Philosophy : Why change user name?

Why change user name?

I can see why people might change their Avatar from time to time. But why keep changing your user name? Just makes it confusing.

Re: Why change user name?

I've had the same name and same avatar from the very first.

I have not been here near as long as you but however long I am here I will go by the name TomCat. Might change my Avatar but people will still know who I am.

TomCat

Me too!

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar, and doesn't.

What is the importance of retaining one name? It's a message board, not a field trip.

What is the importance of retaining one name?

You get to know people by their user name. They keep changing it your not even sure who you are talking to. For instance say people like informed toaster and when they see that name they click on your post to see what you have to say. Change your name and they might skip right over it.

Focus on the content of posts rather than the user (whom you don't know anyway) and it should be a non-issue.

OK I see your point but still why even change it. What's the reason?

I can't speak for anyone else, but message boards to me are primarily an exchanging of ideas, even if solely for the sake of entertainment/humor. Especially one such as this, where off-topic banter is the name of the game and all there is (is there genuine 'discussion' ever?). I don't necessarily like anyone here, but I do enjoy some of the individual exchanges all the same. I'm a fan of posts, not posters. Because I don't care who it is I'm talking to, applying that to myself, it can be beneficial to separate oneself from whatever flimsy identity inevitably becomes attributed to you so that posts are taken on their own merit (or lack thereof), and the focus is directed to where it should be.

Also, informed poster -> informed toaster was simply too amusing to pass up. I love me.

That's reasonable.

No it's not. It's stupid. It's as if in real life the fool tries not to remember names and faces. It's actually autistic.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

Yes, clearly what I wrote above also carries over to "real life" just because it's applied to a forum dedicated to trolling.

You might want to change your username after that one.

Same difference. I have an idea which some of you fools might like.

How about no user names at all? You just log in and post and no one can tell you from the next poster. Lets see how long this trolling board lasts under those rules. Reasonable my ass, lame as fuck.

I GameBoy - H. superior

"Same difference"

No. No it isn't. It's a message board, buddy.

However, your proposal suits me just fine. It'd foster an atmosphere promoting greater emphasis on discussion of legitimate topics and ideas rather than other posters (the only thing taking place 90% of the time).

Please discuss.

Pfffffft. You're suggesting there be no continuity. It sounds disjointed and vacuous to me. If your idea of 'no user names' would work on a venue like this it would have been at least tried.

90% of the discussion here is just gossip after all.

I GameBoy - H. superior

No, you suggested there be no continuity. I merely said it wouldn't matter to me because the focal point (for me) isn't contingent on the personal and targeted drama that permeates here. I prefaced my original statement by speaking only for myself. You felt interpreting my outlook to be applied universally made some 'point' after realizing your analogy equating my stance to real life was absurd.

Jeezus. Yeah, there are a lotta socks here. We encourage that. But you know and I know that there is a consistent group of posters who have one main signifying account. We all know who they are. I'm sure you have a name others here know you by as well.

My point is that forums like this are called online communities. And of course, they're not as strong or as consistent as communities in real life. But name continuity is important here and for you to say it is not is just foolish, foo.

I GameBoy - H. superior

You've turned yourself into a pretzel, mate. Nothing I stated was at odds with "continuity." A changing of usernames never happens in such a way where mid-conversation you lose track either of whom you're speaking with or what is being discussed.

It's well and good if you personally come here for community and to bond with posters. I do not, chum.

So in other words it's a "pretzel" to you? Lol. Dude, it's fine and dandy that you expressed your opinion on it and I expressed mine. But don't call me a "pretzel" merely because you disagree with me.

And it has nothing to do with bonding. Be as involved or as cavalier as you desire. It's about continuity and making sense of often rambling and disjointed conversations.

I GameBoy - H. superior

It's stupid. It's as if in real life the fool tries not to remember names and faces. It's actually autistic.
But don't call me a "pretzel" merely because you disagree with me.

Setting aside the hilarity of the above, the only rambling and disjointed conversation I've been privy to is your side of this one. I'll defer to my prior post re: 'continuity' and how the way you've presented it as problematic isn't necessarily accurate. The only person injecting these nonsensical grand-scale hyperbolic scenarios is you. You've also misinterpreted my pretzel comment, but in your defense it was vague without a greater frame of reference.

Turned yourself into a pretzel = misunderstood my posts, jumped through hoops and danced around in circles to the point you've entangled yourself in this web of inane babble you've been spinning.

The *chans are anonymous. They have a reputation for being a little wild, I guess.

Charlie Chan posts here?

I GameBoy - H. superior

Calm down lad

"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"

😉

simple like so

A rose is a rose is a rose.

How do change user name

.,,pop actor tell
Me

Click on your name. You will see: Change username:

Just type in your new user name.

I do it when I get upset and ask Nimda to ban me. Then I return with a new name

LOL Dixie. You are one of the reason I posted this. I never knew you were netti till you told me.

I had a sneaking suspicion :)

Makes WHAT confusing, actually?

Makes WHAT confusing, actually?

OK here is an example. I always enjoyed Miley's posts and would click on them. Then out of nowhere she changes her name to ArianaGrande and I never paid any attention to the posts until I found out it was Miley.

But whatever. As long as I am here I will always be TomCat.

Doesn't make it confusing for me. It's pretty easy to figure out who I'm talking to.

I'm as real as a doughnut, motherfucker.

Then who am I, you wee bastard?

Dane

I'm as real as a doughnut, motherfucker.

Shit

As in "piece of shit"

I agree. It makes no sense.