Automobiles and Transportation : Did you know it's legal to turn left on a red light in most states?

Did you know it's legal to turn left on a red light in most states?

In the majority of states, you can turn left on a red light if you're on a one-way street turning onto another one-way street, unless prohibited by a sign.

I forgot this shit was legal because I don't do it. I sit and wait for the light to change. I remember them saying this back in driver's ed now that I think about it.

A problem with doing this is it would often be difficult to see far enough to the right to make sure no cars are coming.

All insult trolls and sock accounts get blocked.

Re: Did you know it's legal to turn left on a red light in most states?

I never knew this and I don't think a situation like this has ever occurred in my real life of driving. Here are the states that don't allow it.

Connecticut
Missouri-Kansas City is an exception. See the chart below, "Left on Red Law According to State/Territory".
New York City (also no Right on Red)
North Carolina
Rhode Island
New Jersey (There is some misinformation online regarding NJ and left on red. NJ state law S39:4-115(b) makes an allowance for right on red, but not for left on red). Update added 29 May 2016.
South Dakota (Unless allowed by local ordinance)
Maine
New Hampshire
District of Columbia
Guam

Well, yeah. It's pretty much common sense. If it's a one-way street, it follows the same routine as making a right turn. You're not in the path of oncoming traffic.

When I read the subject, I had in my mind a true left turn, as in crossing one lane of oncoming traffic. But it makes sense why turning left on a one way street would be legal. It wouldn't make any sense for it to be illegal, it literally has the same precautions as a right turn.

I am addicted to you; I have tasted your mind, and I cannot forgo its flavor.

When I read the subject, I had in my mind a true left turn, as in crossing one lane of oncoming traffic.

That is legal to do in a few states if you're turning left onto a one-way street: Alaska, Idaho, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington.

Shit, that seems dangerous. You would have to be paying attention to the cars ahead of you and to the right.

I wouldn't do it, I'm a very defensive driver. There are a lot of shitty drivers on the road.

Are those shitty drivers spics or just women?

❤️Joy to the boards the PAGG has cum

I rarely make left turns even on a green yield light. I always turn right and turn around.

I am addicted to you; I have tasted your mind, and I cannot forgo its flavor.

Some states barely have any traffic. I'm from New York City where you can't do shyt at a red light but sit and wait.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

You guys can't do right on red in NYC?

Damn, driving there must be a nightmare.

You can't turn, if you could there would be an accident at every intersection.

One way they make up for it is a flashing yellow turning arrow light where you can proceed slowly if traffic permits.

"You had me at Elk Tartare"
-Erin Wotherspoon

Not a state, but you can do it on two-way streets in the US Virgin Islands. It's the only US territory where they drive on the left. Most of the cars are left-hand drive, so if you're from Sweden and miss the way it was before the switch, it's a great place for a nostalgic vacation!

I suppose they have to allow for the amphibious cars coming from the British Virgin Islands who have reciprocated somewhat. The currency they use is the US Dollar!

[center][poll closed] multiple [s][/s] [sic] [sub][/sub] [sup][/sup] [u][/u]