Religion, Faith, and Spirituality : Stereotypes of Jews

Stereotypes of Jews

Nice Jewish boy

The nice Jewish boy is a stereotype of Jewish masculinity that circulates within the American Jewish community, as well as in mainstream American culture. In Israel and the parts of the diaspora which have received heavy exposure to the American media that deploy the representation, the stereotype has gained popular recognition to a lesser extent.

The qualities ascribed to the nice Jewish boy are derived from the Ashkenazic ideal of אײדלקײַט (eydlkayt, either "nobility" or "delicateness" in Yiddish). According to Daniel Boyarin's Unheroic Conduct (University of California Press, 1997), eydlkayt embraces the studiousness, gentleness and sensitivity said to distinguish the Talmudic scholar and make him an attractive marriage partner.[90]

The resistance that a Jewish male may launch against this image in his quest to become a "regular guy" has found its place in Jewish American literature. Norman Podhoretz, the former editor of Commentary, made the following comment about Norman Mailer's literary and "extracurricular" activities:

He spent his entire life trying to extirpate what he himself called the 'nice Jewish boy' from his soul, which is one of the reasons he has done so many outrageous things and gotten into trouble, including with the police. It's part of trying to overcome that lifelong terror of being a sissy.
[91]

For Philip Roth's semi-autobiographical avatar Alex Portnoy, neither the nice Jewish boy nor his more aggressively masculine counterparts (the churlish Jewboy, the "all-American" ice hockey player) prove to be acceptable identities to attain. The ceaseless floundering between the two fuels Portnoy's Complaint.

Jewish-American princess

Jewish-American princess (JAP) is a pejorative stereotype that portrays some Jewish women as spoiled brats,[58][self-published source(butthurt jewess)][59][60] implying materialism and selfishness, attributed to a pampered or wealthy background. This stereotype of American Jewish women has been portrayed frequently in contemporary US media since the mid-20th century. "JAPs" are portrayed as used to privilege, materialistic, and neurotic.[6] An example of the humorous use of this stereotype appears in the song "Jewish Princess" on the Frank Zappa album Sheik Yerbouti. Female Jewish comedians such as Sarah Silverman have also satirized the stereotype, as did filmmaker Robert Townsend in his comedy B*A*P*S (see also Black American Princess for more information on this related pejorative stereotype).

According to Machacek and Wilcox, the stereotype of the Jewish-American Princess did not emerge until after World War II and is "peculiar to the . scene".[61] In 1987, the American Jewish Committee held a conference on "Current Stereotypes of Jewish Women" which argued that such jokes "represent a resurgence of sexist and anti-Semitic invective masking a scrim of misogyny.'"[62]

The stereotype was partly a construct of, and popularized by, some post-war Jewish male writers,[63] notably Herman Wouk in his 1955 novel Marjorie Morningstar[64] and Philip Roth in his 1959 novel Goodbye, Columbus, featuring protagonists who fit the stereotype.[65]

The term "JAP" and the associated stereotype gained attention beginning in the 1970s with the publication of several non-fiction articles such as Barbara Meyer's Cosmopolitan article "Sex and the Jewish Girl" and the 1971 cover article in New York magazine by Julie Baumgold, "The Persistence of the Jewish Princess".[66] "JAP" jokes became prevalent in the late 1970s and early 1980s.[67][68] According to Riv-Ellen Prell, the JAP stereotype's rise to prominence in the 1970s resulted from pressures on the Jewish middle class to maintain a visibly affluent lifestyle as post-war affluence declined.[63][69] The concept was the butt of jokes and spoofed by many, including Jews.[70]

The stereotypical subject, as described in these sources, is over-indulged by her parents with attention and money, resulting in the princess having both unrealistic expectations and guilt, accompanied by skill in the manipulation of guilt in others, resulting in a deficient love life.[66] The stereotype has been described as "a sexually repressive, self-centered, materialistic and lazy female,"[71] who is "spoiled, overly-concerned with appearance, and indifferent to sex", the last being her most notable trait.[67][68] The stereotype also portrays relationships with weak men who are easily controlled and are willing to spend large amounts of money and energy to recreate the dynamic she had during her upbringing. These men tend to be completely content with catering to her endless needs for food, material possessions, and attention.

The stereotype is often, though not always, the basis for jokes both inside and outside the Jewish community.[72] Frank Zappa was accused of antisemitism for his song "Jewish Princess", a charge which he repeatedly denied on the basis that he did not invent the concept and that women who fit the stereotype existed.[73] In recent years, attempts have been made by some Jewish women to re-appropriate the term "JAP" and incorporate it as part of a cultural identity.[69][74] It has also been criticized for its sexist basis, and for pejoratively branding young adult Jewish-American women as spoiled and materialistic.[75] Concerns about incidents of the JAP stereotype being used pejoratively at colleges and universities have been noted in newspapers, magazines and academic journals.[76][77][78] The American television show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, created by Rachel Bloom, features a parody song that can be seen as both satirizing and embracing this trope. "JAP Battle" is featured in Season 1 's "Josh and I Go to Los Angeles!". Rachel Bloom, and her character Rebecca Bunch, are both Jewish.[79][better source needed][80][81]

What's Up, Doc?

Re: Stereotypes of Jews

Best way to get a Jewish girl to stop giving fellatio…put a ring on her finger😉

Dogs love me because I'm CRAZY sniffable!

Apparently they give great blowjobs 🤔

What's Up, Doc?

You would know Aoabai, Rouge

What's Up, Doc?

You ain't THE RJ…RIGHT? Where you from?
Edit…never mind…my dyslexia got my hopes up👍

Never lodged a major complaint😉 they can't touch the Greeks or italians…but they start looking kinda manly by 30…tradeoffs and compromise comes with marital bliss😂

but they start looking kinda manly by 30…

they start sounding manly also.

What's Up, Doc?

And they can smell of garlic…fuck em…I went German Irish atheist…TIGER BLOOD for the win!

they can smell of garlic

They also reek of sulfur.

What's Up, Doc?

😂

What's Up, Doc?

What's Up, Doc?