Travel and Recreation : Poll: What’s the point of Google Maps when it doesn’t work half the time?

What’s the point of Google Maps when it doesn’t work half the time?

Especially when I really need to get to where I need to go. Maps lead me in the direction of where Google wanted me to go.

I think it’s time to end Google and their bullshit products.

Boycott Google!

Yes, their headquarters is somewhere in NYC.
0% 0 votes
No, I work for Google and I may lose my job if Google Inc goes under.
0% 0 votes

#imwithsteve

Re: What’s the point of Google Maps when it doesn’t work half the time?

Can you define “doesn’t work”?

Like, as in not loading or leading you to the wrong place?

Vote please.

#imwithsteve

But isn’t their headquarters in Mountain something-or-other California?

Is that where Google Maps lead you?

#imwithsteve

I mean, I’m sure it would, if I were to type in “Google Headquarters.” OK Donna, you’re not making any sense. This thread doesn’t make any sense. I’m sorry.

What’s so hard to understand? I got lost today partially because Google Maps lead me to where it wanted me to go. It does this often and I’m tired of it. Google also does other questionable things to its consumers. I’m tired of Google. It’s time to boycott Google.

#imwithsteve

I asked you what the problem was, and you told me just to "vote." This is the first time you told your problem.

Your choices don't make sense, because Google is not in NYC, and the only other option is if one works for Google.

Anyway, for me, I pretty much have the entire Earth layout memorized. I know which way's North and which way's South. only use Google Maps (or any Maps) as a supplement.

I don't do the step-by-step navigational directions (turn left here, make a right here). That's too time-consuming. Instead, I look where it is I want to go, look at the satellite image of the map, and I make up my own directions based on where my ending point is.

For instance, say you're in New York, and you're traveling to California. You don't need directions for that. You know that you're going West. You can pick a highway just by looking at the satellite image of the map. Since you'll be driving West for a very long time, you won't need to check your phone until you get to Cali to find your specific stopping point (hotel).

On your phone, your car will show up as the little blue dot on Google Maps, so you'll always know where you are in relation to your stopping point.

There’s nothing wrong with my phone! I had an updated version of Google Maps as well. I know how to use the app.

The problem is Google. You can’t save Google. They’re going down. Enough is enough with their shit. First Mark Zuckerberg, now it’s Google’s turn.

#imwithsteve

Sometimes their maps may be out-of-date or just have plainly wrong information for whatever other reason. It happened to me once—the actual location was in the opposite direction they told me to take—so I submitted a correction to Google Maps but they never got back to me so I don't know if it was corrected. Still, I'm sure their accuracy is greater than fifty percent. You could try Apple Maps but I assume you would need to get a different phone.

Try looking at the Satellite image of the Maps so you can see the actual buildings and highways, not the drawing or terrain.

If you're looking for an auto repair shop and it shows the destination as being in the middle of a cornfield, then it's probably incorrect. But if you're looking for "Gus's Auto Shop," and in the satellite view, you can zoom in and see a building with a sign that says "Gus's Auto Shop" with broken cars in the lot, then that's likely correct.

I don't rely on Maps 100% to take me to a final destination. I make sure I can see an image of my final destination first, so I know where I'm going in relation to where I'm starting, then I sort of wing it. I familiarize myself with the all the roads/buildings/ city layout, etc. before I drive.

I have no intention of ever using Google Maps or any similar product ever again because they destroy our minds, as this article from Teen Vogue points out: https://www.teenvogue.com/story/google-maps-brain-activity-study

Wow, that article pretty much coincides with what I've been saying.

According to a new study published in Nature and conducted by the University College of London, people who navigate from memory have more mental power than those who depend on apps.

When subjects were forced to navigate on their own, scientists saw a “rollercoaster of hippocampal activity depending on the street network,” as Hugo Spiers, the study’s senior author told Popular Science. By contrast, when subjects were following directions, the relationship between brain activity and street complexity disappeared.

Now if someone has no sense of direction, and they're relying 100% on navigational maps to tell them where to make each individual turn, then I could understand that someone having a difficult time doing it again from memory.

But I use the maps in a different way. I don't look at the step-by-step directions. Doing it that way confuses me more, and this article may suggest why. I look only at the image. I like to see the whole trip in the image, not the step-by-step individual directions. Then next time, I remember how to get there. I feel that looking at the image helps you learn where everything is laid out (north, south, etc.) vs relying on a voice telling you where to turn.

The terrain feature wasn’t working! Ironically.

Stop making excuses for Google. Geesh.

#imwithsteve

Boycott Google. They have to go. Enough is enough.

#imwithsteve

I rely on Google for finding Wikipedia articles. Can't quit.

Something else will come along to replace Google products and services. You’ll live.

#imwithsteve

Take your meds, gigi! You're really starting to get on peoples nerves, so you obviously need to increase your dosage!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I think you are confused. That was PE, he's my bitch. Forever!

Well he’s blocked.

#imwithsteve