Books : Does the ending to this Brothers Grimm tale seem severe?

Does the ending to this Brothers Grimm tale seem severe?

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/007.txt

The linked story is not the original version but Wilhelm Grimm's bowdlerized version. The original ending is essentially the same except instead of a step-mother it is a mother-in-law, which was a change Wilhelm made in many stories. The rest of the story is is quite different between the two versions in the details but with essentially the same plot. Original ending:

Now they had to decide what they should do with the evil mother-in-law. Well, they stuck her into a barrel full of boiling oil and poisonous snakes, and she died a ghastly death.

All the "evil" mother-in-law did was suggest that the queen was being unfaithful; it was the king who sentenced the queen to death.

Disney is CIA for kidz!

Re: Does the ending to this Brothers Grimm tale seem severe?

The whole story seems severe. The Grimm brothers were a grim lot. Hardly a fairy story, - It's a morality tale, but I'm not sure how moral it actually is.
Anyway - what was the question again?….

The question was: Who is going to win the Australian Open Men's Singles Final: Roger Federer or Marin Čilić?

Disney is CIA for kidz!

The poisonous snakes were rather gratuitous. The boiling oil would have killed them instantly. What's the point?

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

My guess is a post-execution snack.

Disney is CIA for kidz!

Does the ending of the tale seem severe? No more severe than the beginning of the tale. I mean, what kind of a king would put his 12 young sons to death like that? What a sick bastard.

My original post did mention that the first king's ultimatum was severe, but I decided to remove that and focus on the ending. I was reading the fairy tale and thought, "What? Why? What?" The linked version, as you must have read, has the explanation:
in order that her possessions may be great, and that the kingdom may fall to her alone
But the original doesn't even bother with that weak explanation:
Once upon a time there was a king who had twelve children, all boys. Moreover, he didn't want to have a daughter and said to his wife: "If you give birth to our thirteenth child, and it's a girl, I shall have the twelve boys killed. However, if it's a boy, then they'll all remain alive and stay together."
Maybe Wilhelm explicitly filled in details that were implicit in the original tales or maybe arbitrary irrational cruelty was just a normal thing.

Disney is CIA for kidz!