Classic Film : Post deleted

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Have you ever seen 'Metropolis' (1927)?

I've seen it Itty. Got it on DVD. It is a kind of masterpiece. The first science fiction movie. Has a very sexy female robot.
Quite brilliant. Acting, a little hammy, but you should give it a try.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It is good. You should watch it. It is nothing like modern movies of course.

Disney is CIA for kidz!

Yes, by the masterful Fritz Lang. It's a work of art. See it.

Have you had your coffee today?

It's a great movie. There's enough action where you don't need the droning of actors. If you insist on droning maybe you should watch reruns of Roseanne.

Uh, look man. Make tool! Caveman. No fool!
I GameBoy - H. superior

I've seen the Restored / Remasterd edition
The colorized version
The Giorgio Moroder re-cut with rock soundtrack
and Synced with a couple Pink Floyd albums

As well as in-depth analysis of it and its symbolism from various sources.

Yes, and it's a masterwork. It has its shortcomings - not the best kind of silent film acting, being my main complaint - but its cinematic brilliance in terms of art direction alone are almost beyond compare. So much of what you see in the film is the foundation for all the great science fiction films that came later. In Blade Runner, for example, you can clearly seen its roots in Metropolis.

And I suggest you look at the "making of" pictures I posted in NZer's thread, just to get a sense of exactly how groundbreaking Metropolis was - and still is.

NZer's thread: https://filmboards.com/board/p/3145364/
My pictures are the final post in that.

First saw it at school and was both impressed and slightly bored. It improves as you get older and more used to silent films.

Georgia Moroder's release of the film during the 1980s was an interesting failure. Getting rid of the dialogue cards in favour of using subtitles improved the pace but those bloody songs almost killed it.

It's beautiful and unique, and yes you should see it. If you're fortunate enough, try to see it on a large screen, and if you're really fortunate, try to see the restored 'Buenos Aires' print, which puts back much missing footage. I was lucky enough to get to see a screening of this version a few years ago, and realized that, as many times as I'd seen Metropolis, I'd never really seen it until then.

Oh, lucky you! I've never seen it on the big screen. I can only imagine.

Just wanted to let you know that I posted on another thread some stills of the process of designing and building the sets. You might enjoy taking a look at them.

NZer's thread: https://filmboards.com/board/p/3145364/
My pictures are the final post in that.

Great photos–I especially love those miniature sets, always had a passion for elaborate miniature work. I wonder if that issue of Science and Invention is to be had anywhere? It'd be fun to read whatever accompanying text there might have been. And that wonderful photo of Lang, looking every inch the Herr Direktor, monocle and all, lol.

Seeing that restored print in a beautiful old movie palace (The Byrd Theater in Richmond) was something special, I can tell you. I saw plenty of details I'd never noticed before, and the added dimension given to the story by the restoration of so much lost plotline, from the edited footage, was incredible. It was a case where that kind of work actually made an already great film genuinely even greater. I highly urge anyone who hasn't seen this print to look it up!

'Metropolis' (1927) photos

So glad you enjoyed them, amy. I found them fascinating. Have no idea about the Science and Invention magazine, but it would be great to see it, if it could be found.

And thanks so much for sharing your experience of getting to see the film on the big screen. I almost feel I've seen it vicariously - a bit anyway - just from your description. Not sure I'll be able to find that version, but if I ever get a chance I'll certainly watch it.