Classic Film : Memorable Biopics

Memorable Biopics

Biopics have been a staple of the industry/art since the beginning. Some are good, some are bad, but it doesn't always matter. Sometimes they stray from the truth, sometimes they stick too close to it. But they are an interesting genre that almost always captures the audience's attention. I tend to prefer those that might bend the truth a bit in order to really tell it.

Anyway, a few of those that were particularly memorable for me:

La Passion de Jeanne D'Arc (1928) - Carl Theodor Dreyer
Silkwood (1983) - Mike Nichols
Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - Arthur Penn
Isadora (1968) - Tony Richardson
Lust for Life (1956) - Vincent Minnelli
The Miracle Worker (1962) - Arthur Penn
Boys Don't Cry (1999) - Kimberly Pierce
Napoleon (1927) - Abel Gance
La Vie en Rose (2007) - Olivier Dahan
Becket (1964) - Peter Glenville

Re: Memorable Biopics

Bonnie and Clyde is the one that popped out for me.
Their real-life exploits were every bit as dramatic as their on-screen adventures.
They were both very attractive people - not as hollywood attractive as Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, of course, but it is easy to see how they became folk heros.

Bonnie and Clyde

Yes, I think B & C is one of the great films of the sixties. It's the film that revolutionized the portrayal of graphic violence in American cinema, which it did in a valid and important way by showing the profound consequences of that violence. Unfortunately, it also opened the floodgates for films that all too often portray graphic violence without showing any consequences at all.

It's interesting that Warren Beatty produced this film when he was 29. After it was released, Jack Warner pulled it pretty quickly when it had a rather poor showing initially. Beatty threatened so sue him, so Warner re-released it, and Beatty traveled the country championing it. Suddenly it was a world-wide phenomenon that garnered many well-deserved awards, including Oscars. I love the script, the cinematography, the music, Dede Allen's editing, and, of course, Arthur Penn's brilliant direction.

An iconic film, to be sure.

Re: Memorable Biopics

bump