Classic Film : Casablanca the best movie ever made?

Casablanca the best movie ever made?

I'm just throwing this out there - Casablanca is a terrific classic film, but, the best? What about The Third Man? Any ideas

Re: Casablanca the best movie ever made?

The Third Man

https://archive.org/details/TheLivesOfHarryLime

If you like Orson Welles. He did improvise the cuckoo clock speech above, according to himself, I believe.

To be honest, I can't say that I'm all that enamoured with Orson. Just not my style.

Gone with the wind
Ben Hur
Planet of the Apes
The Ten Commandments
Lawrence of Arabia
Psycho

to name a few

Your thoughts are sarkic & you are a hylic.

I absolutely cannot stand Gone with the Wind!

OK to the others though!

Noir movies like

yes. Seen them all! All quite brilliant.

Your overall knowledge of film and music is pretty astounding. (or is it all just off the internet?) I actually do watch movies!

Everyone is/can be an expert through the internet.

Not that i haven't seen these movies. I have.

Not even close. The Third Man is good, but better than Casablanca? I wouldn't go that far. Of Bogart pictures alone I prefer The Maltese Falcon, Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and Key Largo to Casablanca, but the latter does have some things going for it, such as a best picture AA, perfect wartime timing. It sums up its era emotionally and in this it's in a class by itself.

One of my favourites, is The Big Sleep. Sizzling between Bogie and Bacall!

To this day, I believe the Writers Guild of America still considers Casablanca to be the best American screenplay of all time. And it's certainly an all time favorite film of mine. As for the best of all time - it's too hard to say that about any film, I think. But it's one that will live forever, that's for sure.

Writers Guild

Interesting about the Writers Guild. Casablanca is well written, for sure, but among Bogart pictures alone I prefer the dialogue in The Maltese Falcon, much (most?) taken from Dashiell Hammett's novel, but still.

For my money, for sheer perfection of writing, one scene after another, and for understated elegance, I consider Psycho one of the best American screenplays out there.

Also up there: Joe Mankiewicz's All About Eve. The various screenplays on which Billy Wilder collaborated on with others, such as Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Sunset Blvd and Some Like It Hot.

All great choices, for sure -

- by some truly great screenwriters. They would be on any list of great American screenplays I composed. But one of the things I think important to note for posters who ask for the best of anything is this: when you live long enough (as I have) and see thousands of films (as I have), you quickly realize that it's utterly impossible to choose the best of anything.

So I opt for lots of greats and leave the rest to what I like the most, which is very often an entirely different matter.

Writers & Film & Television, Too

Yes, and i totally failed to mention the author of Psycho's screenplay, Joseph Stefano, a brilliant writers and former songwriter from Philadelphia who tried his hand and writing and succeeded. That he was apparently also in some kind of Freudian analysis or therapy actually helped him. A are case, from my knowledge and experience of anyone being helped by the process. Freud all over the place in the Stefano-produced TV sci-fi series, The Outer Limits, and while I'm no Freud fanboy, I am a Stefano one.

Tough to choose faves, but John Balderston is one such, as he wrote or co-authored most of the best Universal horrors of the Thirties. The husband and wife writing team of Frances Hackett and Albert Goodrich wrote many great films; and they're the ones who finished and polished up It's A Wonderful Life (it's a beautiful script, too). Later on they wrote the Broadway play based on The Diary Of Anne Frank. Another great screenwriting team: Garson Kanin and Ruth Gordon, who the best of the Spencer Tray-Kate Hepburn comedies.

Nor should we forget maybe the greatest one off screenwriting team of them all: Orson Welles and Herman Mankiewicz, but it's a killer. You know the title, but some may not. It's about a fellow who thought it would be fun to run a newspaper…

Screenwriters

Oh, my. This should be a thread unto itself. I'll just say that I agree with you in every name you mentioned, and will add another Mankiewicz to the list: Joseph L., who began as a producer, but became one of the great writer/directors in Hollywood, giving us All About Eve and A Letter to Three Wives, among others.

Then there's Preston Sturges, the Epstein Brothers, the husband/wife team of Irving Ravetch and Harriet Rich, Billy Wilder & Charles Brackett, etc. etc. So many to name, so I'll leave it there for now. I see another post on the horizon - hint, hint.

Yes, indeed, I suppose it should be a thread unto itself: screenwriters interest me largely because it was even harder to develop a personal style in writing than it was in directing, yet those who did so contributed some grand works.

I know Richard Corliss tried to analyze writers as Sarris did directors (Corliss's work on Hecht in particular is a great little piece), but it seems a remarkably difficult task…

Screenwriters

Yes, I'm going to put this on the back burner for a thread soon to follow. I'd love to talk about this very difficult and under-appreciated skill. Besides, a couple of my best friends are wonderful screenwriters. (I'm not familiar with the Corliss work, but it sounds quite interesting.)

The Falls by Peter Greenaway is the greatest film of all time. Everything else is children playing draughts.

Really?

Super really. It has just the right amount of pretentiousness, repetition, and erudition.

It sounds as though it might be too intellectual for me!

I think Michael Bay is probably more to my liking. 😇 jk

NZer, as I said to telegonus, when you reach a certain age and see thousands of films, it becomes quite impossible to name the BEST of anything. I love Casablanca; it's a film that I cannot NOT watch when given the chance (and my friends in the business feel the same as I do). But though it's one of my most beloved films, I still can't call it the best, only one of the best.

Yes, of course! So much about watching films lies in the person who is watching!

We all have our little foibles - even film critics!

There is no cut and dried answer, I'm pretty sure of that.