No Good Deed : Negative Stereotyping Can Destroy Careers

Negative Stereotyping Can Destroy Careers

Oh no, Idris, why on earth choose a movie that could possibly type-cast you forever into a very negative stereo-type? The black murderous lunatic looking to violently harm women is not a part you should be taking irrespective of the fee or coverage.
Be warned that Hollywood is always looking to portray men of colour poorly, especially English or British actors both black and white.
I do hope that viewers can forget this film and your agent finds you more positive parts, 007 perhaps? It's way past time you tried your hand as James Bond.

I choose to believe what my religion programs me to believe.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Negative Stereotyping Can Destroy Careers

Stop being so juvenile suggesting that any post you disagree with is 'trolling', I expect you are the sort if person that throws hysterical accusations of 'racism' around as well, am I right?
To the post, what I wrote I penned with complete sincerity and ask you to research actors who have previously taken on roles that violently (on screen) murder women, they either become typecast or their careers flounder.
It seems to be the graphical nature of the violence that sparks a negative response from the audience as one or two actors who murder women off-screen fair a little better.

Negative stereotyping is a well-known phenomenon, check it out.

I choose to believe what my religion programs me to believe.

Denzel Washington. Training Day. Still one of the biggest actors on the planet.

http://www.1971-reviewae.com

Denzel Washington. Training Day. Still one of the biggest actors on the planet.

Eh, not the same thing. Washington was already well into being a big star by that point, and his character was a corrupt cop, not your run of the mill deranged lady-murderer.

Even when he later portrayed Frank Lucas in American Gangster, he was not a run of the mill bad guy, he was an intelligent cutthroat businessman. It would be like comparing Jason Voorhees to Hannibal Lector; they're both killers but one is clearly more respectable than the other. Idris basically played a Jason Voorhees while Denzel played a Hannibal Lector.

Don't try to cash in love, that check will always bounce.

Sidenote, Idris was in American Gangster with Denzel...

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Like someone else said, you should do the research and let us know which actor messed up their career by killing a woman on screen. The only murders I can think of are Johnny Depp killing is wife in Secret Window and Edward Norton killing Brad Pitt's wife in Seven, but those were both off-screen. Oh, Hugh Jackman killed two women in X-Men. Jonathan Rhys Meyers killed Scarlett Johansson in Match Point.

Idris is an Emmy and SAG nominated actor, and a Golden Globe winning actor. One stupid role a career does not make...at least not his.

Christian Bale in American Psycho?

It wasn't Edward Norton who played the killer in Se7en, it was Kevin Spacey.

You're right, my fault. I don't know why I always think of Edward Norton in Se7en.

I guess nobody caught the tongue-in-cheek 007 reference.
At the time of the OP's post, rumor was that Elba was to be the next, and first black, James Bond.

Idris Elba's career is just fine. He's a big star already. This role expanded his acting resume, if anything.

He played a drug dealer in The Wire, but Luther also.. the drug dealer role did not affect his career... honestly, I would love to seem him as James Bond.. or some type of action hero

i dont think he does angry/evil very well. i want to see him be a hero

i've got feelings too, ya know - inbetweeners