No Good Deed : Everything Wrong with No Good Deeds

Everything Wrong with No Good Deeds

1. This movie exists
2. This movie relies on Idris Elba's handsomeness and Taraji Henson's star power and beauty instead of character development, pacing, interesting dialogue etc...
3. Older black prison guard cares more about Elba getting a second chance even though he is clearly disturbed rather than the safety of the general population
4. Idris Elba can force his nose to bleed. How do you do that?
5. Idris Elba is apparently an expert marksman and can shoot 2 cops with .25 seconds.
6. We never see of any news stories relating to an escaped criminal that killed two cops.
7. How did Idris Elba get that van when he was stalking his ex-girlfriend?
8. The only plot device that moves the story along is apparently thunder.
9. People got paid to write this slop
10. Taraji Henson is apparently the most clueless DA in the history of the united states and lets a stranger in her home at night and gives him alcohol.
11. Taraji Henson's loose friend is apparently more intuitive than a DA and can tell Idris Elba is a lying bozo.
12. Idris Elba acting is wooden and stilted, but we'll forgive him because he's handsome.
13. Taraji Henson never kills Idris Elba the first 4 times she gets a chance with fire extenguishers, glass, knives etc. She hits him once and runs away, allowing him to recover.
14. Taraji Henson slaps (assaults) her husband at the end of the movie and the police do nothing.
15. The police officer apparently never graduated from the Darren Wilson "Shoot huge black guys when the charge you" Academy.
16. Why didn't Taraji Henson mouth "HELP ME" when the police officer asked her if everything was away when he asked her to get out of the car? That wouldn't have made any noise.
17. The African lady sitting next to me keeps pointing out how stupid Taraji Henson's character is. I know lady, I know.
18. Idris Elba's dead ex-girlfriend's cell phone battery apparently lasts for days on end without having to be charged. What company is she with?
19. What exactly is Idris Elba's plan here? It's never stated.
20. Taraji Henson goes (ableit involuntarily) into Idris Elba's dead girlfriend's dark and scary house at night when there could be a torture chamber or who knows what inside there.
21. Isn't Taraji Henson innocent in all this? Her husband is cheating on her so why does she deserve all this? What is her culpability?
22. Idris Elba has the patience of a saint and calms down immediately after Taraji Henson stabs him and bludgeons him with random objects. Yet almost flips on the parole board guy for telling the truth about him.
23. Taraji Henson's repeated "You don't have to do this" cliché.
24. Dark and stormy night cliche
25. The ending scene is not explained at all, is completely tacked on and is unrelated to anything that happened previously in the movie.
26. This movie does not contain a lap dance from Taraji Henson.

Sins: 26

Sentence : Unbelievably implausible and subpar movie which will draw because of the two leads and lead to more unbelievably implausible movies with horrendous writing and no tension, that will also draw.

Re: No Good Deed Sins

1. This movie exists
2. This movie relies on Idris Elba's handsomeness and Taraji Henson's star power and beauty instead of character development, pacing, interesting dialogue etc...
3. Older black prison guard cares more about Elba getting a second chance even though he is clearly disturbed rather than the safety of the general population
5. Idris Elba is apparently an expert marksman and can shoot 2 cops with .25 seconds.
6. We never see of any news stories relating to an escaped criminal that killed two cops.
8. The only plot device that moves the story along is apparently thunder.
9. People got paid to write this slop
10. Taraji Henson is apparently the most clueless DA in the history of the united states and lets a stranger in her home at night and gives him alcohol.
11. Taraji Henson's loose friend is apparently more intuitive than a DA and can tell Idris Elba is a lying bozo.
12. Idris Elba acting is wooden and stilted, but we'll forgive him because he's handsome.
13. Taraji Henson never kills Idris Elba the first 4 times she gets a chance with fire extenguishers, glass, knives etc. She hits him once and runs away, allowing him to recover.
14. Taraji Henson slaps (assaults) her husband at the end of the movie and the police do nothing.
15. The police officer apparently never graduated from the Darren Wilson "Shoot huge black guys when the charge you" Academy
16. Why didn't Taraji Henson mouth "HELP ME" when the police officer asked her if everything was away when he asked her to get out of the car? That wouldn't have made any noise.
17. The African lady sitting next to me keeps pointing out how stupid Taraji Henson's character is. I know lady, I know.
18. Idris Elba's dead ex-girlfriend's cell phone battery apparently lasts for days on end without having to be charged. What company is she with.
20. Taraji Henson goes (ableit involuntarily) into Idris Elba's dead girlfriend's dark and scary house at night when there could be a torture chamber or who knows what inside there.
21. Isn't Taraji Henson innocent in all this? Her husband is cheating on her so why does she deserve all this.
22. Idris Elba has the patience of a saint and calms down immediately after Taraji Henson stabs him and bludgeons him with random objects.
23. The ending scene is not explained at all, is completely tacked on and is unrelated to anything that happened previously in the movie.

Sins: 23

Sentence : Unbelievably implausible and subpar movie which will draw because of the two leads and lead to more unbelievably implausible movies with horrendous writing and no tension, that will also draw.

Yeah, yeah, I'm lickin' your balls, best balls I ever had. Uh-huh, you've got King-Kong balls. Your balls are so large, just big balls, I don't care. You just got big balls

South Park?

CB4 (Chris Rock)

well love Taraji and Idris, he is so fine. I did not want to see this movie and I waited until it came on Starz because it is so totally predictable it will probably end up on the LMN cause its just that kind of precautionary tale. It was clearly visible that the baby was plastic in one of the scenes and even inferred all I get is that Collin wanted her to know her husband was screwing around I cannot understand after all the people he killed, he did not shoot this woman one time. Not until the end anyway when it was an all or nothing deal. This movie is only 84 minutes long puleeez that is too short to spend $5-8 dollars on a predictable movie like this. Oh well it was an okay filler. I like the shot to the husband personally.

Re: Everything Wrong with No Good Deeds

I agree with some of what you've said. It's definitely a mediocre movie - neither awful nor awesome. However:

Some people are too trusting and/or more easily swayed by charisma.

Ignoring that you're conflating the actor with the character... It's entirely possible to pick your nose until it bleeds (kids do it all the time) and it's entirely possible that it wasn't a nosebleed but rather, as a for-instance, he bit his fingers until they bled and then smeared the blood around.

Not at all hard to do at close range after you've convinced the only other guy with a gun to lower it. My annoyance was that the guard in the back of the van, perhaps, shouldn't have been armed with a deadly weapon.

He's willing to kill people. You really think he's not willing to steal a van? Did you not see that he had it hotwired?

Clueless, maybe, but she was also feeling flattered. Remember that lack of character development? One piece that was very clearly developed (a bit like a hammer over the head) was that she was feeling neglected by her husband. Male attention can be a bit like alcohol for a woman feeling down on herself.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I was almost yelling, "Hit him again!" at the last-ish scene with the andiron. This was the one piece of annoyance which bothered me on the drive home. All I can think is that she wasn't yet at the place where she was willing/able to kill someone to defend herself or her kids.

18. Idris Elba's dead ex-girlfriend's cell phone battery apparently lasts for days on end without having to be charged. What company is she with?

Days?!??!?? From the hotwired car to the end of the film is less than 24 hours.

Maybe part of the problem is that you're not good with making inferences. There's not even a lot to infer. He clearly wanted to get revenge against the man who was sleeping with his ex-girlfriend. Whether that included killing his family in front of his eyes or not isn't necessary to spell out.

25. The ending scene is not explained at all, is completely tacked on and is unrelated to anything that happened previously in the movie.

Meh. I happened to like that the movie showed her transition (return) to a strong, independent woman. I'm in the minority here, though.

26. This movie does not contain a lap dance from Taraji Henson.

As a straight woman, I'm entirely okay with this omission. She did spend at least some time in a skimpy-ish tank, top, though, so that should have helped, no?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

1. True.
2. Also true.
3. It's a little odd, sure, but Colin is supposed to be some suave smooth-talker. Maybe the guard was naive and bought what Colin was selling. Maybe he truly though he was reformed based on his good behavior in prison (which is evidenced by his teaching program and the fact that he was up for parole in the first place).
4. Maybe he jammed his finger in there really hard? If you're desperate enough I bet you could get your nose to bleed.
5. Well, he already had the gun pointed at the head of one of them. The other was a slow old man. Still, it was a really good shot.
6. Everything presumably happened in a pretty short time span. Also why would we? No one we saw in the movie ever had the news on.
7. He stole it. That's why he had to hotwire it.
8. True. That was annoying.
9. Again, true.
10. I felt this was extremely strange too, but I could tell that the screenwriter was trying to imply that Terri was so lonely and starved for attention due to her distant husband that her need for adult (male) company temporarily overrode her caution and common sense. You can tell this is the case because she keeps fretting over how she looks after she lets Colin in. The whole movie was about how a woman who used to be independent and powerful found her power once again.
11. That scene can be taken a couple of different ways. Maybe she saw right through Colin, but she might have just been being defensive. Colin just told her that she didn't know her best friend. She could have just been lashing out at him because she didn't really know what to think. When someone tells you something that big and hurtful it's a normal reaction to disbelieve it, regardless of whether it's true or not and whether you know it or not.
12. Yeah, but he's a really good actor so I blame the script and director.
13. Yeah, but it's kind of a thriller cliche. With the fire extinguisher she was worried about her kids and probably not thinking straight. The kids were a big factor in why she did or didn't do certain things. Still, you're right, she could have stabbed him a bit more.
14. It was just a slap. They had way bigger things to worry about. And even so, what would they have done? It was a quick moment and they weren't right on top of them so that scene is understandable.
15. Terri was still kind of in the way and he didn't have time to properly pull his gun out of its holster.
16. She was getting out of the car to talk to the officer so why would she? If she did it and the officer reacted in any way then she knew Colin would do something to the baby he had in his lap.
17. Yeah, she made some bad moves.
18. It was all the same day. Colin murdered his ex the same day that Jeffrey left for his "golf trip". Remember when Terri's friend said they would have a girl's night? That was later that same day. That all happened within one day.
19. I agree, the plot was ambiguous. That was never really explained other than he knew that a guy at that address was sleeping with his ex.
20. What else was she going to do? Trying to run away with her kids wasn't really possible. He was next to her the whole time. If she ran her kids could have gotten hurt.
21. Yes, she's innocent, but Colin is a psycho and doesn't care. She just happened to be the one that he found at the house when he went looking for revenge on Jeffrey.
22. Well, he stood up and nearly said something if that's what you mean by. Hardly flipping out.
23. Yeah, but nothing she could say would do any good. That's just as good as anything else.
24. Agreed, but it was also a plot device. An annoyingly used plot device. The rain contributed to Terri feeling sorry for Colin and letting him in. It allowed him to change shirts and impress Terri. It caused miraculously timed thunder that got characters in and out of situations when there was no other plausible way.
25. Are you talking about the phone call that Terri intercepted from the ex's phone? It actually did explain some things, like why Colin went to the house, why he didn't just lose it and kill Terri, why he stayed at the house in the first place rather than just moving on since he's an escaped convict. It was still kind of contrived though.
26. That is correct, it doesn't.

Oh, I forgot one.

27. Was Taraji Henson more offended that Idris Elba kidnapped her family, murdered her friend and held them hostage or that he didn't want to bang her?

Teri's friend was suspicious of Colin because she was a real estate agent and she knew that entire block (that he said he lived on). He refused to say which house was his, so she knew he was lying about where he lived. Then he tried to manipulate her by saying that Terri was not really her best friend anymore.

I don't think that Terri was offended that he didn't want to rape her. She might have been flattered at first but when he lied about her friend leaving and she saw the umbrella, she knew that he meant to harm somebody and that she had made a mistake letting him in. I think that any desire she had was wiped out then.

Although Colin used his magnetism and good looks to make her feel at ease at first, he was not a sexual type. Remember they diagnosed him as a "malignant narcissist." A narcissist is concerned about him/herself and could care less about anybody else. I never got the impression that there was any kind of sexual desire on his part towards his ex or towards Teri and there wouldn't be because he was so into HIMSELF that he didn't even care about relating to someone even in a sexual way. He was about revenge because he perceived people hurt/betrayed him.

28. The bottle of wine that, after 5 or 6 glasses were poured, was still half full.
29. The car alarm that spontaneously goes crazy.

While I think most of your complaints are wildly ridiculous, I have only one comment (I didn't even read all of them to be honest).

I have a Blackberry (as did the Ex, it appeared) and can go several days without needing a charge depending on what I'm doing. If I don't use Pandora or talk on it much, it could easily do this. Not that it was actually days since he killed his Ex, I just wanted to point that out. Every phone out there doesn't need to be charged every night and many can go days without a charge. If yours can't, you might want to look into upgrading.

All insults will be interpreted as an admission that you cannot contribute to the discussion.

**warning spoilers**

This hasn't got much to do with the plot but have to mention the white faceless doll at 52 mins that is supposed to be her baby. Hilarious.

Also in the final fight scene it seems like it's night, then day, then it's night again..(?)

Totally implausible story, characters behaving weird in almost every situation. Dumb entertainment, but it's better than no entertainment at all.

well since you're naked you might as well f___ a friend of mine. Paul come in here!

Yes quite a few of those things annoyed me too, the biggest things for me were -

- He's a high profile murderer yet no one recognizes him not even the cop that pulls them over ...

- Stupid woman hitting him over the head only once (what a cliche!) and she does this 3 times!

- When her friend is in the garage with him and realises he's a bad guy and turns to shout for her friend in the cheesiest way imaginable (she won't hear you from there love) might have been better for her to maybe thinking about running back inside?

- When he ties her up near the end, he leaves that blatant big shard in front of her. Was he temporarily blind? It was right there! So of course she escaped ...

- The little girl remained virtually silent for the whole movie. I'm pretty sure at her age she would be distressed as hell.

- Finally, when she calls 911 and it says "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls". Does that actually happen in America? (I'm in the UK and it would not happen here)

*~* Tinkerbell Princess *~*

I actually thought this was a decent movie and I didn't have any problems with the acting or the storyline itself. I definitely had some issues with it though.
The biggest one for me was just the length of the movie itself, it wasn't long enough, barely over an hour and ten minutes.
I know they probably edited a lot of stuff out but as a writer I feel like if the makers of this movie had worked a little bit harder they could've done a lot more to stretch out the plot and give the audience more than what they got.

Besides all the obvious plot holes what I hated most was all the time they milked during I guess the bulk of the film after Colin made it into Terri's house and he was biding his time waiting for her husband Jeffery to get home. Too much talking and not enough action to me X-/ Why would he continue to make small talk with Terri after she told him that Jeffery wasn't coming home?

He was so intent on killing this guy for sleeping with his ex-girlfriend that he had the patience to sit and drink and chit-chat with Terri (and then Meg)?

He didn't pull his gun out on her until after she knocked him down the stairs and made him mad. So if it wasn't his intent to hurt her in the first place, why stay at the house? When she finally confessed to him that Jeffery was out on a golfing trip and wasn't coming home that night (even though the part about the golf trip was false) he could've used that to his advantage.
If I were in his shoes, I would've realized that I was just wasting time here waiting for my initial target (who wasn't going to show up) so I would've turned to a back up plan. Hold Terri hostage, force her to make up some story to Meg about why she couldn't hang out that night, force her to call Jeffery and ask him where he was and hold onto Terri and the kids in case something went wrong.

Not that I WANTED Terri to get hurt and I definitely didn't want her kids to get hurt but do you get where I'm going with this? I just thought that whole bit with them just hanging out during the storm was really boring and it sucked up a lot of time when something else more captivating could've been going on. I just really didn't understand what Colin's thought process was during that whole time.I don't mind movies or stories where the viewer is given bits and pieces here and there and then everything is explained towards the end, but for this story it left more questions than it answered.

I just think the makers had a great idea for an intense, psychological thriller, had a lot of potentially intense scenes that could've pulled it all together and made it more exciting but then kind of got lazy with it.