Lina Leandersson : not her real voice in the movie?

not her real voice in the movie?

in the credits of let the right one in it says..
Elis voice: Elif Ceylan

anyone know what the deal is?

Re: not her real voice in the movie?

I'd have to watch it again but there's probably a scene where Eli has a deeper or unusually sounding voice that couldn't be done by Lina herself. Or, in movies sometimes they have multiple people saying the same line then they play the voices together at the same time to make the line sound creepy. That might be what that means because I don't think they replaced her voice throughout the entire movie

SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS SPOILERS

In the scene that Eli drinks Oskar's blood from the floor, Eli looks up and tells Oskar to go away. I believe Eli's voice is changed there.

"In the scene that Eli drinks Oskar's blood from the floor, Eli looks up and tells Oskar to go away. I believe Eli's voice is changed there."

Actually if you watch that scene again you'll notice for one shot that it isn't the young actress, it's the older one, the aged Eli. The older Eli is also shown quickly when there is a tight shot on the eyes when she/he is covered in blood after entering uninvited and telling Oskar to "be like me" (I don't remember the line exactly).

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

That's because Eli's actually a boy so they had to give him a deeper voice.

A lot of people who have read the book say that Eli's a young man who was castrated by the guy who turned him into a vampire. Eli's short for "Elias".

When Eli mentioned that he was not a girlhe meant it.

So what we are dealing with here is actually a twelve year old, gay vampire.. Wow.. That would be the first smile.gif

My mini blog
http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1186095/boards/profile/

Is that just a rumor or did it actually happen in the book?

Yes in the book Eli was once called Elias and was a 12 year old boy. He got tortured, had his genitalias cut off and his blood drunk through a satanic ritual of some sort.

Thing is, when your 12 and you haven't reached puberty yet the thing that defines your gender is really your genitalias. If you had them removed you would be pretty much genderless, until you hit puberty at least (which Eli never will). So Eli probably don't see himself as either boy or girl. He's just Eli, nothing more, nothing less.

Now about Eli's voice. Eli's voice is dubbed throughout the whole movie. The girl that played Eli had a very soft, light and feminine voice and since Eli is somewhat androgyne they chose to dub her voice.

Do you know if there is any interviews with Lina? Maybe we will hear her talk on some extras on the DVD Would be cool to see some interviews with the girl that dubbed Lina too. Or at least some pictures.

My mini blog

Here's an interview with her fro5b4m SVT (Swedish Television). It's only in Swedish but you get to hear her own voice. You have to allow Pop Up windows for the page to load properly.

http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?d=36029&a=1300084

Post deleted

Her tv interview sounds exactly like most of Eli's voice in the movie, I doubt it's all dubbed

Yes I agree, from that interview it does sound like it is her voice, for the most part anyway, in the film.
A fantastic young actress btw, she really made that film what it is imo.

She is dubbed throughout the entire film. And I do know for sure as I worked on the movie.

Here's a couple of lines from an interview:
"Lina Leandersson's light girl's voice got dubbed with a darker voice.
- It actually felt good to be dubbed, my voice sounds ridiculous, she laughs."

OK , cool thanks for the update.

Post deleted

So that explains the shot where Oskar looks into his mother's room when Eli is putting on the dress. I thought it looked like a scar or maybe stitches and I couldn't figure out why the director would even film that. It seemed so insignificant in the film since it isn't explained.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Forgive me, please, but I've got a question I wanted to throw out there: there's that shot of her naked - it only lasts a second - and it weirded me out for various reasons (not just because I was supposedly looking at a pre-pubescent girl's vagina!) Going along with the Elias/Eli theory posted here, is that actually a wounded young boy's genitals? Is it really a scar that you see? I always thought when I saw it that there was something really mutilated about it

Just wondering what you guys think.

Yes, it's a scar.

Eli is an androgynous (genderless) creature, and that crotch-shot showed a scar and absolutely no genitalia whatsoever (because they were removed centuries before, when she was turned). The whole gender thing isn't important in any way and isn't the focus (which is why Eli was made genderless to begin with). It fits in with the vampire mythos as well. S/he's neither boy nor girl, s/he's a vampire, a creature, a being. It made the tone and relationship stronger, removing all the obvious gender specific issues like sex etc And Lina did a very very good job.

simoon:87: OMG, I didn't get that part although the first time Eli said "I'm not a girl" I did think "Ok, so you're a boy, huh? Lol" Damn That puts the whole movie in another dimension for me!

Damn, WOW!

Re: not her real
voice in the movie?

Wow. I'm sorry but that's the most ignorant statement I've ever heard of in my life. A child's genitalia is not what defines their gender before puberty. Hahahahahaha. And a male losing his genitals before puberty does not turn him into a girl. In fact there is so much wrong with that middle paragraph, I don't even know where to start. I'll just laugh instead. Bye.

well, that would certainly explain the scene where Eli is putting on Oscar's mom's clothes I didn't know what to make of that!

-edit- upon closer inspection (and after finding a better quality copy), what i thought was pubic hair does indeed appear to be a kind of scar. i watched it online and it was a bit blurry.

It didn't look like a scar to me.

The movie would just be weird to me if Eli was a boy the entire time so I'm going to assume the director changed that part of the story and move on, lol.

Eli is a boy and Tomas Alfredson did not change that. Here's an interview where he talks about that briefly (he has talked about it in other interviews too):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38870

Here's a quote from the interview:

Tomas Alfredson: "Yes. Opposites. So that was quite complicated, and then, ummm there's this thing that Eli is a former boy. It's a boy from the beginning. So that person would have to be a little androgyne? How do you say?"

Here's a picture of the scar:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2157/vlcsnap00072gn3.jpg

If that looks like a vagina to you Then I'm not sure what kind of ladies you're spending time with.

I actually don't understand why there are so many people who just can't accept that Eli is a boy, or at least were a boy.

Thanks for the pic simooon.

I just got back from watching it and the scene where they showed Elis naked half went by so quick that I thought to myself that it was a vagina with a scar above it. When my friends and I talked about it I simply said that it was probably there to show that the child was once human, having a scar without the vampire healing abilities, therefor giving the character the possibility for compassion more so than a vampire who just drinks blood without remorse.

I appreciate the director keeping the books points somewhat true in the film, but the back story was so unexplained and really un-needed that I like my idea more so than having to refer to the novel for an explanation of a mutilated boy.

Ya the director clears up that mystery. I was really, really hoping that Alfredson just made her a girl, like the way he changed Eli's guardian from being a pedophile from in the book. It actually made the movie not quite the same for me, but oh well..

WOW simooon_87!! That was awesome smile.gif Thanks you so much

My mini blog

physicalgraffiti-2, I didn't read the book, but from watching the film I assumed that Eli's guardian was a pedophile. For me, there was the question of what that man was getting out of helping Eli. When the man became jealous of Eli sp1ebcending time with Oskar, Eli touched the man's face in a way that was very intimate. That sealed it for me. I assumed that Eli was trading with the man, who was acting like a spurned and forlorn lover.

I haven't read the book but I didn't see Eli's guardian as a pedophile, rather as the inevitable fate of Oskar.

i'm gonna walk the earth like caine in kung fu

Post deleted

Post deleted

The guardian still seems pretty pedophillic in the movie. He seems to only go after teenage boys.

SPOILERS!!

After watching the film, (and the fact that I have not read the book), this is all very interesting information

I noticed that Eli's face, vocal tone, & body definitely altered in both quick shots during those two scenesbut I simply thought that was Eli's true age / form as vampire (and that "she" had been disguising herself as a "12-ish" year old, for various reasons). I did not realize that Eli's character was actually a boy (even with that very quick shot of "her" scarred "vagina" while putting Oskar's mother's dress on). I definitely did not get the notion that the scar = castration.

Very interesting. With this factual information in mind, I am sure the film will be quite a different viewing experience when watching it a 2nd time.

Either way, this film is simply brilliant & an instant classic.

Lina Leandersson's performance is nothing short of amazing.

"I actually don't understand why there are so many people who just can't accept that Eli is a boy, or at least were a boy. "

I think it is because of Lina Leandersson. She doesn't look androgyne at all. She looks like a cute little girl. As I recall, I did have a crush on a similar looking girl, when I was about 12:)

The whole point was to remove gender from the equation. An androgynous being is genderless, a vampire doubly so. Eli had his/her genitalia removed before puberty and right before being turned, so the result is a wholly different creature where focusing on gender is pointless. This was a sex-less love story between two different creatures, one an adolescent boy, the other an androgynous vampire that had been 12 for a long long time.

It also explains why her clothing throughout the movie is never tailored to either gender.

It also explains why "she" asks Oscar if he would still like her if she was a boy. ;)

i did not read the book, but this would explain what i saw in the film when Oskar spied on Eli as she was changing into his mother's dress: there is an incision scar below the line of her pubic hair; i could not figure out what that was supposed to represent: this castration info makes this scene finally make sense to me.

leave it to a girl to notice, huh?

The reason why they dubbed her voice is because Lina Leandersson's voice wasn't dark enough. Eli was supposed to be 200 years old, you know. And the reason why she said that she's not a girl is because she's a women/old lady. Sorry, the interview is in Swedish.
http://www.magasinetfilter.se/magasin/filter-4-08/4-08-film.aspx

Last Seen
Lt Den Rtta Komma In, 7.5/10
My Boss's Dauther, 5.5/10
Hot Rod, 6.5/10

You are so wrong. wink.gif

How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!

I admit it. I'm now 100% that Eli was a dude. That's the reason why "her vagina" looked so odd. His penis had been cut off.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww283/zirak_90/?action=view&cur rent=vlcsnap-328886.png

Last Seen
Lt Den Rtta Komma In, 7.5/10
My Boss's Dauther, 5.5/10
Hot Rod, 6.5/10

I think it was dubbed in the scenes where her voice is deeper, e.g, when she's shouting at Hakan (right?) for forgetting her blood and when she tells Oskar to scoot.

Col. Dollierobot of the ATTA
Kid, kids! Come, take a look
8==D

Nah, she was dubbed in all scenes.

Really? Ah well.

I felt like she was shouting at me in that scene, it gave me heebie-bada-be-jeebies.

Col. Dollierobot of the ATTA
Kid, kids! Come, take a look
8==D

I believe they digitally "enhanced" her voice in that scene (and in the blood-on-the-floor scene), so I can see why one would think they only dubbed her in those.

just watched it for the first time, when I saw the shot of her crotch I was thinking it looked weird, now it all makes sense.

you guys are amazing!

I'm just surprized nobody pointed the vampire as the pedophile yet
I mean: he's old, he did laid naked on the boy's bed, etc.
*lol* I'm just *beep* with you guys

I really liked the movie. Voted 10, btw. But, imo, what's so special about this movie is the way it is told and not its history in any way. I too can't say it was a horror movie in any way; it has supernatural elements and some gore, but nothing is terrifying, again, because the way it's put.
great movie! this one and taken were the only 2008 movies I enjoyed all along.

This tread should be moved to LTROI board

Re: not her real voice in the movie?(boy or girl?)

SPOILER
SPOILER

Yeah i agree with u people that Eli was shown as a vampire who was formly a boy, as in scene when s\he is changin clothes and a close shot of his or her legs was shown it clearly seemed like a scar,
But to be honest i would have really loved it if vampire was shown as a former Girl i know director was suppose to show it as it was in the novel but could have been much better if s\he was a Girl could have been more romantic, as someone said that it was a romantic tale b\w two different creaturs not taking sex in view but i say vampires seem like human are ex human so i suppose i will not like a romance b\w a boy and cow, something, we like romances b\w opposite sex or sometimes it is b\w same sex(gay or lesbian)

Even though the sex was not the focus, no matter what, i'll like to take the vampire as a former girl thats how i watched it and thats how i like it;)